ATC and hypoxia

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby and I were talking about the effects of hypoxia while flying. We have heard of instances where the pilot was suffering from hypoxia and did not realize it, but apparently the ATC controller he was talking to did.

Are ATC controllers trained to recognize when a pilot is hypoxic? Are they trained in how to handle that situation?

If so, how (basicallY) do they recognize/handle it?

What about when the pilot recognizes the problem and asks for help?

Google "hypoxia pilot audio" and listen to the tapes from ATC. In most cases it's pretty obvious for ATC to pick out hypoxic pilots. The problem from the pilots' side is, you think your doing fine.

"unable...to control... altitude, unable....to control.... airspeed, unable.... to control.... heading, other than that, everything A-OK!" I love that one video. But seriously a pilot calling ATC with hypoxia symptoms is like one of your friends drunk calling you at 3am, it is just obvious that somethings up, and that have gone through SBT on how to deal with pilots that get Hypoxic I am sure.

Hubby and I were talking about the effects of hypoxia while flying. We have heard of instances where the pilot was suffering from hypoxia and did not realize it, but apparently the ATC controller he was talking to did.

Are ATC controllers trained to recognize when a pilot is hypoxic? Are they trained in how to handle that situation?

If so, how (basicallY) do they recognize/handle it?

I've been in ATC since 1983, I recall no ATC training in flight physiology, the ATC order does not mention it. I do vaguely recall several instances where controllers recognized physiological problems that pilots had not, I believe all of these controllers were pilots.

What about when the pilot recognizes the problem and asks for help?

Help for hypoxia involves a lower altitude or supplemental oxygen. The former can be requested without stating a reason and the latter does not require a call to ATC.

Back