AT&T unlimited cell data is back

One thing I forgot to mention, a benifit of GSM vs CDMA is you have the ability to use data while on a phone call with GSM, it's not something I do often, but it's one of those things that you really need the few times you use it.

Re: AT&T unlimited cell data is back

That had been my understanding once upon a time. But when I had T-Mo prepaid some years ago, I couldn't send or receive MMS messages if I was on an AT&T tower; and someone I knew in that business told me it was because MMS uses data, and the T-Mo prepaid roaming agreement with AT&T didn't include data.

I didn't really give it much thought after that because I rarely receive an MMS that's in the least bit important. Mainly they're endless selfies from my younger friends and relatives who seem to live in fear that others will forget what they look like without constant reminders.

Thanks for the information.

Rich

This is a Tmobile thing I think.

I just did an experiment with ATT and Tmo iPhones .
Tried to send an SMS and MMS(a picture) with both, iMessage and Cellular Data(no wifi) disabled.

ATT phone sent both correctly(and they were received), Tmo phone sent SMS fine, but MMS failed at the source.

My guess, Tmobile does not support true MMS. Kind of no point these days anyway as nearly no one uses it.

One thing I forgot to mention, a benifit of GSM vs CDMA is you have the ability to use data while on a phone call with GSM, it's not something I do often, but it's one of those things that you really need the few times you use it.

While true, it is becoming a moot point as LTE has no such limitation.

This is a Tmobile thing I think.

I just did an experiment with ATT and Tmo iPhones .
Tried to send an SMS and MMS(a picture) with both, iMessage and Cellular Data(no wifi) disabled.

ATT phone sent both correctly(and they were received), Tmo phone sent SMS fine, but MMS failed at the source.

My guess, Tmobile does not support true MMS. Kind of no point these days anyway as nearly no one uses it.

Might just be your MMS setting? Lots of iPhone need a jailbreak and tetherme app to edit all those settings, I'm on my 3rd iPhone on H2O and before tmo and I've had to do this to get MMS to fully work each time.

While true, it is becoming a moot point as LTE has no such limitation.

You sure?

I'll have to try again on my girls vzw phone, last I tried, and I thought it was on LTE at the time, I couldn't get on the net while on a active phone call.

Last edited:

Might just be your MMS setting? Lots of iPhone need a jailbreak and tetherme app to edit all those settings, I'm on my 3rd iPhone on H2O and before tmo and I've had to do this to get MMS to fully work each time.

You sure?

I'll have to try again on my girls vzw phone, last I tried, and I thought it was on LTE at the time, I couldn't get on the net while on a active phone call.

Mine is jailbroken, but I admit I didn't get too far into testing the theory. I know my buddy's ATT phone sent me a picture with Data fully disabled. Thus proving my point that MMS does not require internet.

As far as LTE and voice + data. This is what I have read. I don't think LTE is technically a CDMA or GSM system. Verizon has enabled VoLTE on some newer phones and in that case, simultaneous voice and data are ok.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/advanced-calling/

I don't have VZN, so can't test that.

Mine is jailbroken, but I admit I didn't get too far into testing the theory. I know my buddy's ATT phone sent me a picture with Data fully disabled. Thus proving my point that MMS does not require internet.

As far as LTE and voice + data. This is what I have read. I don't think LTE is technically a CDMA or GSM system. Verizon has enabled VoLTE on some newer phones and in that case, simultaneous voice and data are ok.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/advanced-calling/

I don't have VZN, so can't test that.

Just tried it on my girls VZW 6+, had LTE up top, good signal, made a call and tried to reload a webpage, LTE gone and no dice on data.

image.png

Just tried it on my girls VZW 6+, had LTE up top, good signal, made a call and tried to reload a webpage, LTE gone and no dice on data.

image.png

Interesting... Perhaps this is an extra :). Vzn is good for that. Maybe you need an XXL plan :). No idea, honestly.

Back