Asthma

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Apparently a few years back the FAA changed their tune on Asthma. My last medical was in Feb 2008 and, like usual, i checked yes for Allergies and Asthma, explained ive had them since childhood, havent had an attack since childhood, havent been in the hospital since my first big attack at ~age 5, and control it with an occasional puff of an inhaler. And I was always issued in the office with no problems. Although one time the Dr. asked if I ever got a letter or anything from the FAA about it, which I did not.

Well we're heading for Marfa tomorrow and I figured I'd probably be towing and would need my second class up to date, so I went in last week for a renewal. Now I have to spend more of my insurance companies money to go see my family doctor and explain to her all that stuff i used to tell the AME. And I blow in a tube and do a sporometry test and get normal numbers for my age and height. She sends all that to the AME, he calls OKC and they allow him to issue an unrestricted medical in the office, which he claims is very rare. at least i get the medical today, mere hours before i leave for texas.

bruce when did the policy change and is this normal?

It changed last summer when rep. Oberstar held up the DOT appropriation. Now there are three ISO 9000 goon who look over everyone's shoulders "making sure as to the quality of the process". So now you have to have documentation.

I don't want to say anything political, but this means less room for the exercise of judgement from the federal examiners.

Elections matter. We need to do something about it.

it was a pretty painless thing to take care of, just unexpected. although i do think its stupid that i can't just blow in the tube at the AMEs office and explain my situation directly instead of wasting my primary care docs time and me and my insurance co's money. i guess now i know for next time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back