Asthma diagnosed since last 3rd class exam.

McDaver63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
McDaver63
My last 3rd class has expired and since then I have been diagnosed with mild persistent Asthma without complications. The Doc got me on QVar 40mg daily and Albuterol as needed. I've copied off the Asthma worksheet to have the Doc fill out. QVar is a corticosteroid and I take it 2 times daily. On the worksheet it states "Use of oral corticosteroids for exacerbations - no more than 2 times per year". Since the QVar is used daily does this mean that I will not qualify for CACI medical certificate? If not will I need to send information from my Doc direct to the FAA?

I am sure every case is a bit different, but for my asthma they forced me to do a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) as part of the SI. Expensive test that was not covered by insurance since my doc did not need it to diagnosis or treat anything. I really hope they do not make you go that route.

Good luck.

I am sure every case is a bit different, but for my asthma they forced me to do a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) as part of the SI. Expensive test that was not covered by insurance since my doc did not need it to diagnosis or treat anything. I really hope they do not make you go that route.

Good luck.
I had to breathe rapidly into a tube which measured my lung function.as I recall it was not very expensive. Took about 20 min. Your primary care phy. Can order it. You can also buy an oxygenator at the drug store which measures your blood oxygen level. High 90s is just fine. They cost around fifty bucks. It slips on you finger. Easy to use. Your p.c. Doctor will probably have one and use it on you. If you don't have a p.c. Doctor, get one!

Did the AME issue your certificate after seeing the Pulmonary Function Test results or did you have to send it into the FAA Medical office for evaluation? Were either of you on a corticosteroid medication?

I have asthma and it's no factor. I only use albuterol a few times a year during allergy season and no other medicine. I had to do a PFT with my PCM and give results to an AME. AME called a doc in OKC and myepically was issued on the spot. Now every medical I report asthma with no change and I get issued on the spot. No SI or anything.

My last 3rd class has expired and since then I have been diagnosed with mild persistent Asthma without complications. The Doc got me on QVar 40mg daily and Albuterol as needed. I've copied off the Asthma worksheet to have the Doc fill out. QVar is a corticosteroid and I take it 2 times daily. On the worksheet it states "Use of oral corticosteroids for exacerbations - no more than 2 times per year". Since the QVar is used daily does this mean that I will not qualify for CACI medical certificate? If not will I need to send information from my Doc direct to the FAA?

Qvar is an inhaled steroid, not an oral steroid. That should help answer one of your questions. I'm not an AME so I can't tell you how your diagnosis will impact your medical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Qvar is an inhaled steroid, not an oral steroid. That should help answer one of your questions. I'm not an AME so I can't tell you how your diagnosis will impact your medical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK Thanks for that. It does ask on the Asthma worksheet if you take an oral corticosteroid no more then twice a year. When I go see my treating Doc I think I will see if he can give me a copy of the test results of the PMT I took a couple months ago. That way I can have the worksheet and PMT in hand when I see the AME. Any other information I need to get for the AME?

Don't forget about the option of PBOR2 if you don't want to jump through the hoops needed to get an SI. That's assuming you're willing to wait for the rules to go in effect and are okay with the restrictions.

Don't forget about the option of PBOR2 if you don't want to jump through the hoops needed to get an SI. That's assuming you're willing to wait for the rules to go in effect and are okay with the restrictions.
Yes I had considered that but I guess I'm getting anxious to fly my Pacer that has been down for maintenance and mods the last year. It sounds like the PBOR2 won't be up until July of 2017. I haven't looked into it much but I am wondering how the FAA will handle past SI's on the new certification?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back