Assignment help!

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Hello,

Think you guys could help me with something? I'm in a commercial pilot theory class and we had to pick a topic for a presentation from a list. I picked Vortex generators and Winglets. I don't know a ton about thier purpose and I knew no one else would pick it because everyone pretty much knows the simple deffinitions. I have to just write one page about thier purpose and facts not everybody would know, aka, say more than it helps with stability. Could any CFIs or knowledgable people help me out with either facts of thier own or point me in the right direction? I also have to bring in a visual aid so ideas on that would be great too.

Thanks,
Tristan

Could any CFIs or knowledgable people help me out with either facts

That statement made me laugh. Thanks!!

Wiki has a good intro to vortex generator that you should start with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator
plus NASA says this about vortex generators
As air normally flows over the wing of an aircraft in flight, the air "sticks" to the surface of the wing. This adherence to the wing's surface produces lift. If the airflow loses its adherence and separates from the wing, aircraft performance can suffer in the form of increased drag, loss of lift and higher fuel consumption.

Researchers at NASA Langley Research Center developed Micro VGs to control this flow detachment by producing miniature, controlled tornadoes, called "vortices". The Micro VGs sweep away uncontrolled airflow separation over the airplane's wings and flaps with the benefit of reduced drag and increased lift (i.e., less engine power needed to produce the same lift).

Winglets improve the efficiency of the wing by increasing the effective length of the wing. The lift of a wing without winglet has to go to zero at the tip because the bottom and the top join at the end. so the air will be going at the same speed at the end of the wing and as you getting nearer that point the wind speed differential has to decrease to zero. The winglets blocks this affect so the lift can extend farther out on the wing. Since the efficiency of a wing increases with length, this gives increased efficiency. Winglet design is tricky and winglets can actually be detrimental if not properly designed.

Well, I'm sure you have excellent google abilities, and I don't want to be doing your homework for you, but I'll offer a couple of comments and cautions:

The NASA quote above is poorly written at best. I cringed at a few points when I read it. I don't know for sure, but it looks like they're talking about something a bit different than what you're interested in. There have been attempts (many of them successful) to reduce drag by making very small vortex generators all over the skin of an aircraft, car, or swimmer. However, none of these other than the "shark suit" for swimmers is in production. The thing that you're likely being asked to comment on is the series of largish vortex generators or possibly vortex generating tape (zig-zag stuff) that is usually placed just upstream of control surfaces such as ailerons.

Without going into any detail, the vortex generators create horizontal vortices which pull the fast, high energy air away from the wing down into the slow, low energy air in the boundary layer, re-energizing it. The faster air can make it around corner's better without separating from the wing. The result is that at high angle of attack, your ailerons are still effective. Without the vortex generators, the air could separate from the ailerons and you'd get a lot of drag without a lot of lift and lose roll control. (Slots in flaps do exactly the same thing, injecting air from below the wing into the boundary layer above the wing so that you can get large flap deflections without separation.)

Winglets are all about the wingtip vortex and induced drag. You're going to get a wingtip vortex no matter what (you wouldn't have lift without it), but if you can effect it's location and structure, you're ahead of the game. As Scott said, winglets mimic a larger aspect ratio wing. And as he pointed out, winglets need to be carefully designed. Well designed winglets will use the swirling air of the vortex to actually produce lift in the forward direction (thrust) to cancel out some of the induced drag.

Some people will tell you that the winglets block the air from below the wing getting to the top of the wing and producing a wingtip vortex. This is a major over-simplification and isn't really the case. Notice that winglets tend to have an airfoil shape and aren't just boards bolted to the ends of the wings.

You may also want to note that winglets are quite controversial in aerodynamics circles. They do reduce induced drag, but many argue that the better option is to simply increase the wing span by the same amount. Instead of having a 20' wing with a 1' winglet sticking up the top, you could just have a 21' wing and come out ahead. There are three major reasons that winglets are used:
1) If you have a wingspan which is fixed (gate restrictions, competition rules in gliders, or whatever).
2) You are upsizing an existing aircraft to make a new model and it's easier to bolt on a winglet to the existing wing than redesign the wing.
3) They look cool. This is the one that annoys engineers. I have talked to senior engineers at both Boeing and Bombardier who tell me that they were informed by the marketing department that they would have winglets because modern aircraft have winglets. No other reason.

Once you've had a chance to dig into the research end of things a bit, feel free to post or PM any specific questions or things that you find confusing and I'll help if I can.

Chris

I admit I don't know much about the vortex generators and pulled those quotes. Sorry if they are poor. I have always looked at vortex generators for GA pistons as a bit of snake oil.

I admit I don't know much about the vortex generators and pulled those quotes. Sorry if they are poor. I have always looked at vortex generators for GA pistons as a bit of snake oil.

Not your fault. NASA should have been a great source.

Back