ASRS reports

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Cleaning out my files and found some ASRS reports that I filed back in 2011. Should I keep them? For how long?

If there are less than 100, I'd stick them in a Manila folder and call it a day. If we're talking about thousands, you might have a copy house digitize them in to a PDF file for your records.

There are only 2. I just trying to eliminate "clutter"

My guess is if the FAA wanted to turn you into a Celica fritter over the events, they would have done so by now. I wouldn't worry about them.

My guess is if the FAA wanted to turn you into a Celica fritter over the events, they would have done so by now. I wouldn't worry about them.
The FAA has a limited time to bring an enforcement action against a pilot suspected of a violation (stale complaint rule) and I think it's 6 months. But IIRC the clock doesn't start until the FAA "becomes aware" of the misdeed so there may be some chance you'd hear from them several years after filing a ASRS entry.

I'd keep them all, so you have documentation just incase you were to be contacted by the FAA. Never know.

I'd keep them all, so you have documentation just incase you were to be contacted by the FAA. Never know.
The FAA has 180 days from the date they hear about the violation to take action. Anything which happened in 2011 which might be eligible for ASRS waiver of sanction is by now long since "stale."

I have only been given a phone number to call once. I was cleared for a GPS approach to a reliever airport in a very busy airspace. As soon as I intercepted the final I got a low fuel pressure warning so I leveled off to maintain altitude in case I needed to glide to the runway. I didn't have time to talk to Approach while I tried to sort out whether it was real or just an indication problem. Just a minute went by while I was level and Approach said that I needed to copy a phone number for a possible pilot deviation. It turned out that while I was level a 121 aircraft flew over me on their approach to the busy airport and the radar system "snitch" alarm went off for loss of separation, which I suspect will always be reported as a pilot deviation as a CYA tactic by the controllers.

When I landed I called the number, which happened to be the TRACON that handled my flight. I explained what happened and I never heard a peep afterwards. I filed the ASRS immediately of course. I've been lead to believe that if you don't get a call from the FSDO within a week, don't worry about it. Dunno if that's really what happens though.

DrMack, off topic, but did the GPS approach plate indicate a maximum altitude on your approach segment? I'm just wondering how the controller can expect you to be below any particular altitude, especially if it is a non-precision approach.

The FAA has 180 days from the date they hear about the violation to take action. Anything which happened in 2011 which might be eligible for ASRS waiver of sanction is by now long since "stale."
How about a wildly unlikely scenario where a pilot did something bad a year a few years ago and filed a ASRS but never heard from the FAA because the incident never got reported to anyone at the FAA. Then this same pilot publishes enough incriminating facts about the incident and their identity on a public forum to tweak the interest of a FSDO inspector with a bad attitude and some free time. Couldn't the FAA get away with starting the 180 day clock when said inspector read the post?

How about a wildly unlikely scenario where a pilot did something bad a year a few years ago and filed a ASRS but never heard from the FAA because the incident never got reported to anyone at the FAA. Then this same pilot publishes enough incriminating facts about the incident and their identity on a public forum to tweak the interest of a FSDO inspector with a bad attitude and some free time. Couldn't the FAA get away with starting the 180 day clock when said inspector read the post?
Years ago, on Law&Order, a defense counsel was cross-examining the medical examiner as to the cause of death, trying to get the ME to admit that it was "possible" that he was wrong about the cause, suggesting some wildly improbably possibilities. The ME responded, "I suppose it's possible that death rays from Mars killed the victim, but in my professional opinion based on examination of the body and my 27 years of experience in this field, the cause of death was the bullet in his brain." I'd put your scenario in the "death rays from Mars" category.

Note also that ATC-reported pilot deviation issues are the vast majority of situations where ASRS waiver of sanction is involved. If it involved ATC, the FAA knew about it the instant it happened, and the clock starts running right then and there. The only case I know of where something was dredged up years later involved an FAA examination of a pilot's logbook where they discovered a flight with passengers without 61.57 landing currency some years in the past, and went after him for the violation. Since that was not a "deliberate and not inadvertent" violation (the pilot chose either to fly without checking for currency or to fly despite lack of currency), an ASRS report wouldn't have mattered.

What did you do as a student pilot - twice - that caused you and not your CFI to file? IMO that should be his responsibility.

By definition, anytime you receive instructions to call when you land, the incident is reported to the FAA. It may be a tower, TRACON or ARTCC and they may not pass it on to a FSDO in a timely manner or perhaps not at all. So the clock should start when you receive instruction to call.

Since that was not a "deliberate and not inadvertent" violation (the pilot chose either to fly without checking for currency or to fly despite lack of currency), an ASRS report wouldn't have mattered.

Has the FAA actually said that? If the pilot forgot to check, or thought he was current and mis-remembered, maybe they would consider that to be inadvertent.

Last edited:
By definition, anytime you receive instructions to call when you land, the incident is reported to the FAA. It may be a tower, TRACON or ARTCC and they may not pass it on to a FSDO in a timely manner or perhaps not at all. So the clock should start when you receive instruction to call.

If the ATC facility files the deviation in ATQA (air traffic quality assurance) then a report is generated to the FSDO level.

Back