Aspen Heading & Knobs

mtorgerson77

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AirTorg
First, the heading on my Aspen Pro Max is anywhere from 10° to 50° off depending on the direction the airplane is pointed. I am scheduled to go to an avionics shop on Wednesday for re-calibration.

Is this going to fix the problem or is it likely that the RSM needs to be replaced?

Secondly, the left knob on my unit push function wouldn’t work. I read on a forum somewhere that basically the inside hole in the knob is too deep. It recommended pulling the knob off and cutting a Q-tip stem to about it an 8th of an inch and putting this in the knob and placing the knob back. I did this and it fixed the problem.

Is this a known problem with Aspen’s knobs? If the hole is too deep inside the knob or gets that way over time, has Aspen done anything to correct? Can you buy just a new knob that doesn’t have the hole too deep so that I’m not having to fix my airplane with random things? It sure feels like a duct tape and WD-40 kinda fix.

Many Thanks,

Matt

I used an aspen that seemed to randomly respond to the inputs using the knobs. Sorry nothing to add other than it seems that is a weak point in the hardware design.

Back