Aspen Evolution paired with Century IIB autopilot

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
Hi, all-

Our Grumman just had its CII-B autopilot repaired, so we are finally able to use it... but unsure of procedures since it's slaved to a Garmin 650 and an Aspen Evolution. The Century and its manual pre-date that equipment, so not much help.

Anyone able to point to anything online for guidance?

thanks

Allison

The Aspen users manual has info on selecting the navigation source and using GPSS.

For enroute leave the II-B in heading mode and then use either the heading bug manually or GPSS autocourse/autoheading to command the II-B. The GPSS works well for flying RNAV/GPS approaches. For tracking a localizer or VOR the II-B has to be run according to it's manual in terms of switch & heading bug settings with the 650 set to give localizer or VOR data to the Aspen. The system is flexible but ya gotta get the heading mode selected correctly or you'll end up in Philadelphia (or somewhere else ya never wanted to be).

Long story made short, run the autopilot in heading mode for enroute and GPS approach. Fall back to old-school switch settings for other (ILS, Localizer, VOR, ADF,etc.) approaches.

Thanks, that's helpful-- don't want to end up in Philly! Still flying VFR at the moment, so enroute mostly is at issue here. I am doing ground school for IFR and wrapping my mind around all that. (Martha King, anyone?)

Anyway, I'll give it a try with the hubby in the other seat to help out while we get the hang of it. Appreciate the help!

Allison

Simple first step is to get to level, on course flight. Press and hold the lower right knob on the Aspen until the heading bug syncs with current heading and then turn on the autopilot in heading mode. The aircraft will hold that heading. Next step is to "play" with the heading bug to turn the aircraft left and right. The heading bug is activated by pressing the lower right knob on the Aspen once - the heading bug changes color and can be adjusted.

After you're comfortable with manual ops (doesn't take long) then set up a course on the 650 and then turn on GPSS on the Aspen by pushing the GPSS soft button.

The 650 & Aspen is a nice set up and I'm sure you will enjoy the automated flight it provides with the II-B. I've got a 430W & Aspen in a Dakota with a II-C and am still learning about what it will do (which includes going to Pilly when all I told it to do was fly a hold).

LOL. Philly does seem to keep coming up,doesn't it? If I get to Philly from North Carolina, I will really have set a new standard for a missed approach!

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure its old hat to everyone else, just new to me.

Allison

LOL. Philly does seem to keep coming up,doesn't it? If I get to Philly from North Carolina, I will really have set a new standard for a missed approach!
He (we) almost got to Philly from Colorado, which is even further!

I'll say that the avionics setup in the Frankenkota is non-intuitive to me. Wait, you use heading mode to track a hold? But don't let me confuse you because I'm still not clear about it.

One thing you will want to make sure is turned on is the Aspen auto course capability. This will eliminate all of the manual course changes you will need to do on the HSI when using the GPSS. It is turned on by accessing the menu and can be found on the first menu page.

You know it is on when the CRS label as an "A" next to it like this:

eqy4usaq.jpg

You will love the Aspen/650. Been flying with mine for 2 years. Simply awesome capabilities.

Last edited:
And by the way, I live in the Philly area. Not such a bad place :)

He (we) almost got to Philly from Colorado, which is even further!

I'll say that the avionics setup in the Frankenkota is non-intuitive to me. Wait, you use heading mode to track a hold? But don't let me confuse you because I'm still not clear about it.

Most autopilots need to be turned onto heading mode when you want to fly the heading bug on the Aspen or when you want GPSS. On my setup (an STEC 60-2), if I have the "HDG" and "ALT" mode engaged but the "GPSS" button not engaged on the Aspen, it will track whatever heading I select with the Aspen heading bug.

Once I push the GPSS button on the Aspen, it tracks the GPS signal including holding patterns.

Here is the Aspen GPSS mode engaged:

zequvuze.jpg

Here is a video I made showing the Aspen flying an approach:

http://youtu.be/o-B_9SzekTo

That is a cool and instructive vid! I have the single Aspen, which is cool enough, but two??? Nice!

Most autopilots need to be turned onto heading mode when you want to fly the heading bug on the Aspen or when you want GPSS. On my setup (an STEC 60-2), if I have the "HDG" and "ALT" mode engaged but the "GPSS" button not engaged on the Aspen, it will track whatever heading I select with the Aspen heading bug.

Once I push the GPSS button on the Aspen, it tracks the GPS signal including holding patterns.

Here is the Aspen GPSS mode engaged:

zequvuze.jpg

Here is a video I made showing the Aspen flying an approach:

http://youtu.be/o-B_9SzekTo
I think the confusion is that you need both HDG and GPSS engaged to track the GPS signal. In my experience is either HDG to track the heading bug, or NAV to track the nav signal. But for me it is just a matter of curiosity watching someone since I probably won't ever fly anything with an Aspen panel myself.

I think the confusion is that you need both HDG and GPSS engaged to track the GPS signal. In my experience is either HDG to track the heading bug, or NAV to track the nav signal. But for me it is just a matter of curiosity watching someone since I probably won't ever fly anything with an Aspen panel myself.

The Aspen is one way to get GPSS roll steering capability. It is also available on autopilot systems as a standalone function. Take a look at this article about the STEC GPSS add-on that can be done without an Aspen: http://avionicswest.net/articles/gpss.htm

On my installation, the "Nav" feature still works the same as it did before when connected to a VOR signal. If I am doing a GPS approach, pressing the "Nav" button on the STEC will put the AP in approach mode. If the approach is an LPV, the unit will couple in "approach" mode and follow both vertical and horizontal guidance like it did in the video.

GPSS is an amazing add-on.

That is a cool and instructive vid! I have the single Aspen, which is cool enough, but two??? Nice!

Thanks. I was headed down adding just the single Aspen path when I learned of the "reversion" mode of the MFD 1000 and what it would offer. The MFD 1000 is a full PFD complete with a separate AHRS. Although in the video you see the MFD on the right running in "map" mode, pressing the "Rev" but on the top of it will convert it to a second PFD in case the primary failed.

It will look like this:

erane4ar.jpg

In the photo, the MFD's HSI is setup in "Arc" mode. This can also be done on the PFD by pushing the "360" button on the unit.

Back