Aspen 1000 + KLN90B

I had that configuration when the Aspen was installed. Have a 430w now and it is a much more capable set-up.

I actually think it's a better idea to put some sort of glass PFD in prior to a new GPS. Glass makes the physical flying of the plane (especially in instruments) so much easier. Since you already have a GPS, your future GPS upgrade will (presumably) add WAAS, but that benefit is incremental rather than a leap.

I actually think it's a better idea to put some sort of glass PFD in prior to a new GPS. Glass makes the physical flying of the plane (especially in instruments) so much easier. Since you already have a GPS, your future GPS upgrade will (presumably) add WAAS, but that benefit is incremental rather than a leap.

That is my thinking, plus having an electronic PFD with non-moving parts is way more reliable than depending on an artificial horizon and DG run by a vacuum pump.

That is my thinking, plus having an electronic PFD with non-moving parts is way more reliable than depending on an artificial horizon and DG run by a vacuum pump.

That's part of what makes it easier. Plus the failure modes with glass usually include self-diagnosis, so it's likely going to tell you if it's broken.

That's part of what makes it easier. Plus the failure modes with glass usually include self-diagnosis, so it's likely going to tell you if it's broken.
I thought the smoke coming out told you it was broken...

I thought the smoke coming out told you it was broken...

That is what happened on my Aspen some years back.

The fact that I was flying over Mexico, out of radio contact, likely over drug lord territory did not make that situation particularly pleasant. But fortunately nothing was on fire, and I managed to get the plane back to Ohio.

Back