'Ask the Controller' Thread

Jack in Jax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jack in Jax
One of the best and longest lasting threads over at the RV forum (Vans Air Force) has been 'Ask the Controller'. Several controllers/RV owners are kind enough to monitor the thread and provide A's - as best they can - to both IFR-specific and more general TraCon Q's. Using the 'search' function here, it doesn't appear we've had a similar thread.

Any controllers here that would be willing to A the Q's?
Any TraCon/ATC/Tower-related Q's that members here would initially appreciate being answered by a Controller?

Let's see where this idea goes...

My Q: The GCO outlet at my (non-towered) airport has been kaput for quite some time and nothing will change for a while. I'd like to pick up an Instrument clearance before departing as my airport is buried in the midst of 3 Class D & 1 Class C airspaces. I've been invited by the local TraCon folks (*very* customer service oriented BTW) to make a cell call to their Ops Center and get the clearance that way. My Q: Should I request a specific release time (so I'm assured enough time to crank up, warm up and be ready), or should I do all the prep, shut down and then call? Seems like the A to this Q depends in part on how much traffic they're handling at the moment, but with GCO pick-ups are relatively short release times typically the norm? (If so, that means warm up, shutdown & call, I suppose).

Jack

One of the best and longest lasting threads over at the RV forum (Vans Air Force) has been 'Ask the Controller'. Several controllers/RV owners are kind enough to monitor the thread and provide A's - as best they can - to both IFR-specific and more general TraCon Q's. Using the 'search' function here, it doesn't appear we've had a similar thread.

Any controllers here that would be willing to A the Q's?
Any TraCon/ATC/Tower-related Q's that members here would initially appreciate being answered by a Controller?

Let's see where this idea goes...

My Q: The GCO outlet at my (non-towered) airport has been kaput for quite some time and nothing will change for a while. I'd like to pick up an Instrument clearance before departing as my airport is buried in the midst of 3 Class D & 1 Class C airspaces. I've been invited by the local TraCon folks (*very* customer service oriented BTW) to make a cell call to their Ops Center and get the clearance that way. My Q: Should I request a specific release time (so I'm assured enough time to crank up, warm up and be ready), or should I do all the prep, shut down and then call? Seems like the A to this Q depends in part on how much traffic they're handling at the moment, but with GCO pick-ups are relatively short release times typically the norm? (If so, that means warm up, shutdown & call, I suppose).

Jack

Jack:

It's nice that you asked. Call for a clearance when you're ready to go. Just because you get a 20-30 void time, it doesn't mean you're not holding someone up.

There is nothing more irritating than having to hold in ice, with the Wx dropping fast to mins (or lower. I had that happen a few times and had to divert), and the person on the ground is dinking around!

Center would call me and ask: "we haven't heard from XYZ and they're coming up on their void time. They said they were ready when we gave them the clearance. Have you heard them on CTAF yet??"

After 20 mins in the hold, I would hear them calling to taxi!!

And, of course, I would say "hey, center is looking for you!!"

So, be ready. Call ready to go from the run up area.

Others may be waiting on you.

Why do you need to shut down before calling them unless there is no cell phone reception or other way to contact ATC on the radio at that airport? Longer release times were reasonable back in the day when people didn't have cell phones and needed to use the land line in the FBO before getting in their airplane. However, that usually isn't the case any more.

I'd agree with this. I don't call for a release until I've got my engines fired up and ready to go, specifically so I don't hold anyone up. I've been held up before for people who get a long void time and take their time. With cell phones, it shouldn't be a problem these days.

By the way, great idea for a thread!

I called (by cell phone) Denver Departure for an IFR clearance from a podunk private airporth north of Denver and the controller couldn't give me a clearance time, because she had traffic already in the area. So she asked me to call when ready to depart. I called back when I was holding in position on the runway and was then given clearance to depart.

I think every time I've received a clearance directly from ATC via phone, I have been told to call back about 10 minutes later for release for a number of reasons (traffic, not ready to depart yet, etc). So I normally call for my clearance, start up, and then call back for a release upon being ready for departure. YMMV by ATC facility.

Thanks for the comments, folks. (Why will I need to shut down? To hear the TraCon person who answers the Ops Center phone...).

Here's a Q I asked my son not long ago. (Dev flies many hours on behalf of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, and I was interested in how he would answer the Q):
'How often is a Procedure Turn actually part of the approach vs. being given radar vectors to intercept the localizer, glideslope, VOR radial, etc.?'

Dev's answer (both in CONUS and in Caribbean/Central America flying) was that having to do the Procedure Turn was very (very!) unusual. But I'm wondering how true this might be in the experience of a TraCon pro.

Jack

Thanks for the comments, folks. (Why will I need to shut down? To hear the TraCon person who answers the Ops Center phone...).

Jack

Buy one of the Lightspeed headsets that have cell phone interface... 20-3-G's, 30-3-G's, Zulu's... It is a VERY nice option.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Even the Sierra is fine as long as you're plugged in and your avionics are on. (Sierra powers the mic from DC bias from the intercom. Can't use it to make a cell call without that mic powered up.)

just grab the dirt simple ear bug and mic that came with your phone, stuff the ear bug in your ear, the mic in the headset cup and make the call.

Buy one of the Lightspeed headsets that have cell phone interface... 20-3-G's, 30-3-G's, Zulu's... It is a VERY nice option.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Yup, that's what I use... after runup, in the runup area, call via bluetooth to my headsets. Pick up the clearance, shut down the phone, and go.

Yeah, bluetooth on my Bose A20's has made picking up clearances and talking with the company while on the ground a breeze.

OK, enough with the headset/phone coaching. Let's let this serve as an 'Ask the Controller' thread...

Jack

Oke Dokie.... We were just answering your first question though...:yesnod:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack

Here's a Q I asked my son not long ago. (Dev flies many hours on behalf of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, and I was interested in how he would answer the Q):
'How often is a Procedure Turn actually part of the approach vs. being given radar vectors to intercept the localizer, glideslope, VOR radial, etc.?'

Dev's answer (both in CONUS and in Caribbean/Central America flying) was that having to do the Procedure Turn was very (very!) unusual. But I'm wondering how true this might be in the experience of a TraCon pro.

Jack

It depends on the radar coverage. You cant be radar vectored if you are in a nonradar area or there is an outage. The procedure turn is a nonradar procedure so you see it more in mountainous areas. Generally the controller wants to get you down as quickly as possible and the quickest way is via vectors.
The ONLY time I've cleared for a procedure turn was nonradar training in oklahoma.

We now have a real ground outlet (not one of those Radio-to-phone) things. I got my clearance the other day and they asked after the read back if I was ready for release. I told them I needed a minute (usually this means that I have to call them back). Exactly a minute later the guy reads me a void time clearance. Fortunately, I was ready to go.

I called (by cell phone) Denver Departure for an IFR clearance from a podunk private airporth north of Denver and the controller couldn't give me a clearance time, because she had traffic already in the area. So she asked me to call when ready to depart. I called back when I was holding in position on the runway and was then given clearance to depart.

Please tell us you didn't actually take the runway, park and make a phone call...

Please tell us you didn't actually take the runway, park and make a phone call...

I hate when people take the runway. Then you have to call the concrete/asphalt companies to come out and replace it.

I have a friend, long time pilot since the age of 16, and he's 58 now. Bizillion hours, but insists on "taking the runway or active" all the time, and not putting it back. One day someone called him on it, in the pattern, and made a wise crack about it.

I do prefer Departing Runway XX myself.

How many people would like to give some angry/arrogant controllers a number to call, or is that just me? :)

Okay, let me rephrase...

Please tell us you don't taxi onto the runway, park and then make a phone call.

Did you note that he's at a private strip?

If you did, I'll add the comment that it's a very quiet private strip. the runway could be obstructed for hours and there is little chance that anyone would notice.

To be honest I did miss the 'private' part. I guess if the poster is the sole owner of the strip then I'd see less of a problem. If it's some sort of community air park then who's to say someone isn't on the approach when he taxis out? ATC gave the 'hold for release' for a reason...they didn't want to give up that airspace just yet. That means ATC would have no problem clearing someone for an approach to the airport / runway that he's parked on making a phone call.

What would he do if, when he called, ATC said, "roger, I'm waiting for a plane to land. He started the approach 10 minutes ago. When he's on the ground I can clear you."? No he's in a bad spot.

Like I said, if he's the sole owner of the private field and nobody but him uses it then God bless his success in the world and let him do as he likes...

Edit to add: All this assumes there actually is an approach to said airport. If not then I'd go to my 'less of a problem' attitude.

To be honest I did miss the 'private' part. I guess if the poster is the sole owner of the strip then I'd see less of a problem. If it's some sort of community air park then who's to say someone isn't on the approach when he taxis out? ATC gave the 'hold for release' for a reason...they didn't want to give up that airspace just yet. That means ATC would have no problem clearing someone for an approach to the airport / runway that he's parked on making a phone call.

What would he do if, when he called, ATC said, "roger, I'm waiting for a plane to land. He started the approach 10 minutes ago. When he's on the ground I can clear you."? No he's in a bad spot.

Like I said, if he's the sole owner of the private field and nobody but him uses it then God bless his success in the world and let him do as he likes...

Edit to add: All this assumes there actually is an approach to said airport. If not then I'd go to my 'less of a problem' attitude.

Ya'll know what assuming does? No IAP's to the strip.

Ya'll know what assuming does? No IAP's to the strip.

Okay, I'm done here. I'll be over here in my corner if anyone needs me...

: )

edit to add the quote as the page turned.

Okay, I'm done here. I'll be over here in my corner if anyone needs me...

: )

edit to add the quote as the page turned.

That's okay, COFlyBoy is a good guy and does a good job with the aircraft. I just wanted to explain why he'd be doing something responsible even though it should be questioned if it was done under different circumstances.

Back