Ask.com hijacks home page

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Ask.com has hijacked my home page. I can change my home page selection back to what I want, but when I reboot Ask.com is back. How can I get rid of the POS ??

Thanks
Paul Salome, AZ

It's been a while, but I think it's uninstallable from the control panel.

Rich

Ask.com has hijacked my home page. I can change my home page selection back to what I want, but when I reboot Ask.com is back. How can I get rid of the POS ??

Thanks
Paul Salome, AZ
The two times my home-page was hi-jacked, Malware Bytes got rid of it. If you don't have it, download it from malwarebytes.org and be sure to read the prompts to keep it from loading any other products. The other products seem to be legitimate, functional and free, but I don't like applications downloading other applications. That's how you get malware in the first place. (at least one of the ways).

edited to change malwarebytes.com to malwarebytes.org

Gotta love that sneaky checkbox on your Java Updates... You have to make sure that you look very closely at installs, as they sneak that stuff in all the time.

Start > Control Panel > Programs & Features >
Look for anything named Ask and Ask Toolbar and click once. Once app is highlighted, click "Uninstall" at the top of the window. Repeat for multiple programs.

Open your browser, and correct your home page, and search engine settings (Google for instructions)

Reboot, and done. :)

Dude, something is up.
This happened to me 2 days ago but it was Yahoo

I had just formatted and reinstalled win 7 and then this started happening.

I uninstalled everything, reset my homepage to google, turned off all startup services
Then I ran malwarebytes, adaware, and hitman and it was still reseting to yahoo.

I noticed when I went to the options it wasn't even yahoo.com but some www.freshservice.blahblahblah that looked like yahoo.

I formatted again and reinstalled Win 7
I am building the machine back now but creating restore points after every new install.

Dude, something is up.
This happened to me 2 days ago but it was Yahoo

I had just formatted and reinstalled win 7 and then this started happening.

I uninstalled everything, reset my homepage to google, turned off all startup services
Then I ran malwarebytes, adaware, and hitman and it was still reseting to yahoo.

I noticed when I went to the options it wasn't even yahoo.com but some www.freshservice.blahblahblah that looked like yahoo.

I formatted again and reinstalled Win 7
I am building the machine back now but creating restore points after every new install.

Never install ANYTHING that you find on a domain in the .blahblahblah TLD.

Rich

Never install ANYTHING that you find on a domain in the .blahblahblah TLD.

Rich

Why? Because it was created by a nagging wife and once you get it, it's till death you you part?

Why? Because it was created by a nagging wife and once you get it, it's till death you you part?

Doesn't matter anymore. It looks like the site was taken down.

Rich

Attachments

• FireShot Screen Capture #011 - 'Problem loading page' - www_freshservice_blahblahblah.jpg
    FireShot Screen Capture #011 - 'Problem loading page' - www_freshservice_blahblahblah.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 24
Back