ASES and AMES

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Anybody know of a good place in Dallas (or "close" by) to get an airplane single engine sea or even airplane multi engine sea class ratings?

Anybody know of a good place in Dallas (or "close" by) to get an airplane single engine sea or even airplane multi engine sea class ratings?
If you count Laughlin Nevada close you can do both, they have LA-4-200, PA-18s and a Beech 18 all ready to float around at Shebles.

A guy at Aero Country does ratings in an amphib Maule. I heard him working on Lake Lewisville last week when I was flying to OK to pick up MIL for the weekend.

Whats a fair price for a single engine sea plane rental?

The few sites i've seen have had them between $225 and $275 / hr. I don't know anything about sea planes besides the obvious. Is that a fair price?

Last quote I heard from the local guy was less than $200. That was last year.

The few sites i've seen have had them between $225 and $275 / hr. I don't know anything about sea planes besides the obvious. Is that a fair price?

Up here, I pay something like $110/hr for a Super Cub on straight floats... They also do full ratings for a flat $795. Both "last I checked" of course. Fuel prices being what they are, who knows.

However, the idea of "rental" in a seaplane needs some clarification. Most places do not "rent" seaplanes - You can only get dual in them. Also, straight floats vs. amphibs makes a big difference due to insurance.

Since nobody else has posted the link yet, here's where to start:

http://www.seaplanes.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69

The Seaplane Pilots Association also publishes a good quarterly magazine, has a Water Landing Directory so you know where you're welcome and not, and has a great starter book on seaplane flying.

It's fun stuff... Enjoy!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 30
Back