ASA Prepware

I've used both and they are comparable.

ASA has all category and class so it is usable for a Helo rating as well as Airplane, not Gleim (at least last time I looked).

Gleim has a better test generator, at least in terms of how I study. You can get Questions never answered, Questions never answerd correctly, Questions ever answered incorrectly, as well as sections to study or random questions .
ASA could only do questions never answered (or maybe asked) and random, last time I looked.

I have a general feeling that Gleim does a better job of explaining why an answer is correct but I'm hard pressed to come up with an example let alone a statistically valid analysis.

Bottom line for me is both are adequate but I like Gleim a little better.

Joe

I've used both and they are comparable.
Then ASA must have improved substantially since I last looked at it. It was a few years ago and the ASA was pretty weak while the Gleim was rock-solid, especially in the two areas you mentioned - test simulation and reference material.

I used ASA Test Prepware for my IR and then sold a few on eBay. The software is great for a more realistic test to see how you'll perform on the actual written but I don't think it's the ideal means to study for the written.

They no longer provide a paper test diagram booklet along with the software. They expect you to use only the graphics on the screen which bite bad on the ASA software and aren't much better on the actual FAA test. You'll get a test booklet during the actual test so use one while studying. One is usually included in most study kits and they are also sold separately; at least Jep does.

The absolutely best tool out there for studying for any FAA written test are the Gleim books. They give you the question then tell you what, why and where the original information is found. The FAA provides the questions which may be on any given tests version but the answers are left to us. The Gleim helps with every one.

I assume you're getting ready for the instrument rating but this applies to all the written exams. Some suggestions I'd make with using the Gleim are:
  1. Get a clear rule with a single line (preferably red) down through the center. That makes it easier to read performance charts and plot points along a chart example. The plotter will work but use the line in the center, not the edge. Ideally, you want less obstruction of tick marks or otherwise in the view.

I found the ideal, six-inch ruler that's used with trucker log books put out by Barjan Products. I stumbled on it at a local truck stop and paid only 60 cents for it. It's clear with a thin, red line down the center. It's allowed during the FAA written no differently than an actual plotter.
  2. Take a magnifying glass into the test with you. The FAA-provided test booklets are not always that clear. The chart examples are less clear than actual sectionals or low route charts. The performance graphs are even worse. The magnifying glass is allowed no differently than eye glasses.
  3. When using the Gleim for study, go spend a few bucks and copy all the example instrument plates, various diagrams, performance charts and flight logs as depicted. That makes such a difference not having to flip back and forth through the book. You won't have to be flipping between questions and graphic pages during the actual test, either. Make the study more realistic.
  4. Be prepared to see the exact same question on the FAA written as you studied in the Gleim. But, the answer you had from the Gleim will not match those available on the FAA written. Just pick the closest possible.
None of these are cheating items but simply tools to help you better understand the information while studying and more importantly, understand what is to be interpreted on the actual FAA written.

I wish the best of luck in studying!

I have used the Dauntless program for several ratings and really like it.

It has the ability to create "sub tests" on only particular topics so that you can review the questions on a particular topic after studying it. It also tracks stats about the number answered correct with a breakdown by category.

~ Christopher

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Dauntless, nor am I more than passingly acquainted with anyone who is.

I used ASA Test Prepware for my IR and then sold a few on eBay. The software is great for a more realistic test to see how you'll perform on the actual written but I don't think it's the ideal means to study for the written.

They no longer provide a paper test diagram booklet along with the software. They expect you to use only the graphics on the screen which bite bad on the ASA software and aren't much better on the actual FAA test. You'll get a test booklet during the actual test so use one while studying. One is usually included in most study kits and they are also sold separately; at least Jep does.

The absolutely best tool out there for studying for any FAA written test are the Gleim books. They give you the question then tell you what, why and where the original information is found. The FAA provides the questions which may be on any given tests version but the answers are left to us. The Gleim helps with every one.

I assume you're getting ready for the instrument rating but this applies to all the written exams. Some suggestions I'd make with using the Gleim are:
  1. Get a clear rule with a single line (preferably red) down through the center. That makes it easier to read performance charts and plot points along a chart example. The plotter will work but use the line in the center, not the edge. Ideally, you want less obstruction of tick marks or otherwise in the view.

I found the ideal, six-inch ruler that's used with trucker log books put out by Barjan Products. I stumbled on it at a local truck stop and paid only 60 cents for it. It's clear with a thin, red line down the center. It's allowed during the FAA written no differently than an actual plotter.
  2. Take a magnifying glass into the test with you. The FAA-provided test booklets are not always that clear. The chart examples are less clear than actual sectionals or low route charts. The performance graphs are even worse. The magnifying glass is allowed no differently than eye glasses.
  3. When using the Gleim for study, go spend a few bucks and copy all the example instrument plates, various diagrams, performance charts and flight logs as depicted. That makes such a difference not having to flip back and forth through the book. You won't have to be flipping between questions and graphic pages during the actual test, either. Make the study more realistic.
  4. Be prepared to see the exact same question on the FAA written as you studied in the Gleim. But, the answer you had from the Gleim will not match those available on the FAA written. Just pick the closest possible.
None of these are cheating items but simply tools to help you better understand the information while studying and more importantly, understand what is to be interpreted on the actual FAA written.

I wish the best of luck in studying!

I'm curious, why do you like the Gleim book over the ASA book? I have the ASA for private, and it seems fine, but lately (and maybe it is just me) I've seen many people who say the Gleim is MUCH better than ASA.

Thanks,

Purdue

I'm curious, why do you like the Gleim book over the ASA book? I have the ASA for private, and it seems fine, but lately (and maybe it is just me) I've seen many people who say the Gleim is MUCH better than ASA.

Thanks,

Purdue
I think you will find that the differences are largely personal preference. The reason you have found more in favor of Gleim may be that they sell more in your area? :dunno:

-Skip

Thanks,

Purdue
I think you will find that the differences are largely personal preference. The reason you have found more in favor of Gleim may be that they sell more in your area? :dunno: Everyone likes what they used.

-Skip

I think you will find that the differences are largely personal preference. The reason you have found more in favor of Gleim may be that they sell more in your area? :dunno: Everyone likes what they used.
While there is a lot of personal preference involved, I'm looking at my own experience and how it turned out in the end.

I had studied for my 709 oral and flight using the Cessna software and was doing the same for my instrument rating. I decided I would keep the computer study going more in-depth use for the written. While the Cessna software was great for videos and short quizzes to study by, it was not the best media for trying to learn questions along with the right answers as well as understanding why wrong answers are indeed wrong.

The difference in the Gleim is seeing the answer and an explanation along with it. You don't get that in the ASA Prepware; it's on another window you have to select.

ASA puts out some great learning and teaching tools. Prepware isn't one of them. But for a realistic test experience it gives you a good idea what you'll face with CATS or Lasergrade.

Used together, I think one will be much better prepared for written exams. Whatever you do, don't use them just to learn the right answer. Learn WHY it is the right answer. That part will be more than handy during the oral exam.

While there is a lot of personal preference involved, I'm looking at my own experience and how it turned out in the end.

Anyone have some extra copies of the Gleim instrument publications? :redface::)

I read the Jeppesen instrument/commercial textbook which is really great for the most part (a few chapters left me scratching my head). Since every flight my dad flies is IFR, I've gained a lot of knowledge through his experience, but need to study things a bit more in depth that he never or hasn't yet gone over with me.

Anyone have some extra copies of the Gleim instrument publications? :redface::)
Ya pretty much have to go with the current book out since they change with the most recent FAR/AIM publication. The written tests changed recently but I don't know how much.

-Skip

Probably...

The difference in the Gleim is seeing the answer and an explanation along with it. You don't get that in the ASA Prepware; it's on another window you have to select.

ASA puts out some great learning and teaching tools. Prepware isn't one of them. But for a realistic test experience it gives you a good idea what you'll face with CATS or Lasergrade.

Used together, I think one will be much better prepared for written exams. Whatever you do, don't use them just to learn the right answer. Learn WHY it is the right answer. That part will be more than handy during the oral exam.
Just to be clear, you are talking about the software and not the books, right? I'm curious, how is the Prepware different than the Virtual Test Prep? I use the VTP, and it will give the explanation if you guess the wrong answer....

Thanks again for your help,

Purdue

Just to be clear, you are talking about the software and not the books, right? I'm curious, how is the Prepware different than the Virtual Test Prep? I use the VTP, and it will give the explanation if you guess the wrong answer....
I'm referring to the same software as linked to above. For the IR, it would be the Prepware. You can go through the questions (every one in the question bank) and read the answers and explanations. Or, you can take practice tests. It will give you the option of "cheating" and seeing an explanation or you can complete the test and then look at explanations for right and wrong answers.

The Test Prep books are only the books and the ASA version of the Gleim books. I've seen them briefly but I believe the Gleim is much better.

Finally, there's Virtual Test Prep Software which is closer to an actual study and analysis of each area and the possible questions on a given area. You take the course on DVD either by computer or TV. On computer, you can take quizzes. After completion of sample tests, you can obtain an endorsement from ASA for taking the FAA written.

I believe the last one is substantially overpriced for as little as it gives. My suggestion is a good ground school course either by Jep, Gleim or King. Then, prepare for the written with the Gleim FAA Written book.

I'm referring to the same software as linked to above. For the IR, it would be the Prepware. You can go through the questions (every one in the question bank) and read the answers and explanations. Or, you can take practice tests. It will give you the option of "cheating" and seeing an explanation or you can complete the test and then look at explanations for right and wrong answers.

The Test Prep books are only the books and the ASA version of the Gleim books. I've seen them briefly but I believe the Gleim is much better.

Finally, there's Virtual Test Prep Software which is closer to an actual study and analysis of each area and the possible questions on a given area. You take the course on DVD either by computer or TV. On computer, you can take quizzes. After completion of sample tests, you can obtain an endorsement from ASA for taking the FAA written.

I believe the last one is substantially overpriced for as little as it gives. My suggestion is a good ground school course either by Jep, Gleim or King. Then, prepare for the written with the Gleim FAA Written book.

Thanks for the info Ken, it is appreciated!

I ordered the Gleim Test Prep CD yesterday (I have the COMM study guide and flight maneuvers guide from Gleim already); today I noticed that Sportys has (for free, just register) free online study guides and test prep:

http://www.sportys.com/faatest/

Anybody tried it? How does it compare to ASA and Gleim?

Back