As Much As I Like Piloting........

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I'd, in a heartbeat, cancel any flying to join my cousin during her vacation.

Her note today included the following:

" As you can see from the time, I haven’t a minute between now and Saturday morning when I am going to be picked up by Rick and driven to NY City for the weekend. Boarding the ship on Monday morning, leaving New York at 5pm, cruising the Atlantic south, arriving in Fort Lauderdale on the 10th in the morning and departing Fort Lauderdale 5 pm with the Queen Mary II."

Yes; leaving on the Queen Mary II -- January 10; and returning on April 27. It's called a world cruise, some 40+ countries. I don't know the ultimate cost of the excursion, but she told me that it was a $6000.00 upgrade to have a window in her room. I responded that in my seafaring days we called the device a port, but for six grand it darned well better be a window; perhaps even a picture window.

Bon voyage, Fran.

HR

Yes; leaving on the Queen Mary II -- January 10; and returning on April 27. It's called a world cruise, some 40+ countries. I don't know the ultimate cost of the excursion, but she told me that it was a $6000.00 upgrade to have a window in her room. I responded that in my seafaring days we called the device a port, but for six grand it darned well better be a window; perhaps even a picture window.
We were on the QM2 from Southampton to NYC last September. We've been on lots of cruises, but this was the best. We too had an inside (no 'window') cabin, and didn't miss it at all. There is much to do on board all the time, even in bad weather. We didn't even crack the books we brought to read on the six-day trip.

(I even brought my GPS to make sure the captain didn't get lost! :D)

Tell Fran to be out on deck as the ship leaves NY Harbor -- there is only about a 10-foot clearance between the ship's mast and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (photo below). :eek:

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• P1010295e.jpg
    P1010295e.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010356e.jpg
    P1010356e.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010292e.jpg
    P1010292e.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010405e.jpg