As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly

Frozen turkeys can fly, and fast too!

PETA, eh. Just kill the turkey with a hammer to the head then toss it out of the airplane.

That debate's been going on for quite some time now. It was played up locally when I was still in Harrison. That was at least 5 years ago, maybe more, don't remember exactly when we moved back to MO and I'm too lazy to look right now!

Last edited:
I read about this today on Avweb. I was kind of shocked by it! Sounds fun though in the worst kind of way... haha

PETA, eh. Just kill the turkey with a hammer to the head then toss it out of the airplane.
I presume that the reason the FAA is involved is because a falling turkey (live or dead, fresh or frozen) has the potential for injury/damage to people/property on the ground.
-harry

They need to equip the turkey with a special homing device that causes the turkey to aim for... turkeys on the ground.

J/K. :yesnod: :D :yikes:

I presume that the reason the FAA is involved is because a falling turkey (live or dead, fresh or frozen) has the potential for injury/damage to people/property on the ground.

So does flower bombs and pumpkin drops.

So does flower bombs and pumpkin drops.
Yes, objects with predictable aerodynamics, dropped from low altitude, over a cleared space.

These turkeys are dropped from higher altitude, some glide, some don't, and they're dropped over top of the middle of town.
-harry

Frozen turkeys can fly, and fast too!

That reminds me of a test film I saw where someone was test firing tukeys at an airplane to meet FAA bird strike standards? Anyway, some bright young buck test engineer with degree in hand forgot to thaw the turkey before loading into the CO2 cannon and shot a hole through the cabin. :rofl:

That reminds me of a test film I saw where someone was test firing tukeys at an airplane to meet FAA bird strike standards? Anyway, some bright young buck test engineer with degree in hand forgot to thaw the turkey before loading into the CO2 cannon and shot a hole through the cabin. :rofl:

That story has been around for a long long time. Do you really have some doucmentation?

Mythbusters took this one on - it was pretty funny - they started out by buying a Cherokee (or slmilar) fuselage - the bird blew through the windscreen, bulkheads, and ended up in the tail cone. Then they found out that the airplane they had wasn't designed for that kind of impact. But, as I recall, they determined the difference in the impact between frozen and thawed was minimal.

Edit:
They blasted it through the firewall...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHNC1aV-gE

Last edited:
The FAA needs to get a life. :rolleyes:

I saw that when it first aired and I still laugh to this day. One of the funnest shows ever recorded for TV..... of all time. A true classic.

Thus my choice of titles for this thread - I loved that episode of WKRP.:D

Mythbusters took this one on - it was pretty funny - they started out by buying a Cherokee (or slmilar) fuselage - the bird blew through the windscreen, bulkheads, and ended up in the tail cone. Then they found out that the airplane they had wasn't designed for that kind of impact. But, as I recall, they determined the difference in the impact between frozen and thawed was minimal.
I thought I recalled seeing something about the real air-cannon bird strike testing. In fact I'm pretty sure of it, but can't come up with specifics. It was fighter canopies, though. I remember seeing high-speed camera footage of a high velocity bird strike to a Lexan canopy; the canopy deformed substantially, but popped back into shape without breaking.

Chicken guns are apparently not that uncommon.

I too am of an age where I remember that show airing, that was comedy. They also covered tragedy with the Who concert.

I thought I recalled seeing something about the real air-cannon bird strike testing. In fact I'm pretty sure of it, but can't come up with specifics. It was fighter canopies, though. I remember seeing high-speed camera footage of a high velocity bird strike to a Lexan canopy; the canopy deformed substantially, but popped back into shape without breaking.

Chicken guns are apparently not that uncommon.

Real testing, yes. The "frozen chicken" part - not so clear.

I read somewhere that this has history going back 70 (!) years, and now the FAA steps in?

That WKRP episode was one of the funniest on TV ever. I remember seeing it when it first aired, and laughed my *ss off.

The TV show ripped off an actual stunt done by WQXI in Atlanta in the 1970's were they actually dropped turkeys from the top of their building in Buckhead. Splat. Tragic hilarity ensued, all in very poor taste of course...

Ripoff is a little strong. IIRC one of the series creators worked at WQXI; he may well have been involved in the stunt. :)

It's my favorite TV episode. "The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!"

Ripoff is a little strong. IIRC one of the series creators worked at WQXI; he may well have been involved in the stunt. :)

It's my favorite TV episode. "The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!"

The claim made by one of the creators was that they had heard about this while spending time at a radio station doing background work.

I too am of an age where I remember that show airing, that was comedy. They also covered tragedy with the Who concert.

I watched that show, it was awesome. I'm 32 - maybe it was reruns (not sure). It was a long time ago.

I was at the Who concert right after the "tragedy". I think that concert was in Detroit, and I went to the one at the Rectum, ahh, I mean Spectrum in Philly. Kenny Jones from The Faces had replaced Keith Moon who had died.

Loudest concert ever.

I was at the Who concert right after the "tragedy". I think that concert was in Detroit, and I went to the one at the Rectum, ahh, I mean Spectrum in Philly. Kenny Jones from The Faces had replaced Keith Moon who had died.

Loudest concert ever.

Yeah, I remember when Keith Moon died...:(

Back