ARTCC sector maps

DrMack

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DrMack
Are there any publicly available ARTCC and TRACON sector maps? It would be nice to be able to anticipate sector hand-offs with frequencies.

Are there any publicly available ARTCC and TRACON sector maps?

If you google, you'll find a bunch of simmer sites that have maps. I'm not sure how accurate, and they won't have frequencies.

You'd probably need to find someone from FAA Air Traffic Organization to find a real one.

It would be nice to be able to anticipate sector hand-offs with frequencies.

Best way to do that is to look at who's airspace you're likely to enter. Center boundaries are on the IFR charts, but the sectors within them are not. As for Tracons, I look on the VFR chart for likely approach controls that I will be flying through. If I'm really bored, I'll pull up the ATC frequencies in the A/FD (via ForeFlight) for airports I'm flying over, or will be flying over. Finally, I'll listen on the radio to see what frequency handoffs the controller gives other aircraft of my category (i.e. other low altitude GA aircraft). I.E. if I know Philly approach is my next handoff, and he gives another aircraft a handoff to Philly, I'll note the freq. Sometimes I'll follow the same aircraft from one sector to another and to another. Then it gets easy.

Are there any publicly available ARTCC and TRACON sector maps? It would be nice to be able to anticipate sector hand-offs with frequencies.

You may find some on a facility web site but there is no source for the whole nation similar to sectionals and enroute charts from Skyvector and other sources.

Found this on Wikipedia. Not very definitive but gives you the general idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_Control_Center#mediaviewer/File:Tfrmap.jpeg

Area_Control_Center

The actual maps aren't publicly available as has been stated.

I tried hunting down a website with that info for you. Unfortunately, the best I could find on a simmer site, while largely accurate, listed a center sector that hasn't existed since the 90's. Also several of the frequencies were accurate as of the posting date (ten years ago), but are no longer used.

Even if you did get a TRACON or ARTCC map, its more trouble than its worth. A large TRACON sector map is wholly dependent on numerous factors and can change in a blink. Unless you have an intimate understanding of how it works, its all for naught. An ARTCC map meanwhile is about the size of a queen sized bed and frightens us mere mortals.

My best advice is to ask again on a freq if unsure. If that fails hit up 121.5 and say position and ask for a freq. The commercial guys do that all the time and it works well enough when someone is lost in frequency land.

The actual maps aren't publicly available as has been stated.

I tried hunting down a website with that info for you. Unfortunately, the best I could find on a simmer site, while largely accurate, listed a center sector that hasn't existed since the 90's. Also several of the frequencies were accurate as of the posting date (ten years ago), but are no longer used.

Even if you did get a TRACON or ARTCC map, its more trouble than its worth. A large TRACON sector map is wholly dependent on numerous factors and can change in a blink. Unless you have an intimate understanding of how it works, its all for naught. An ARTCC map meanwhile is about the size of a queen sized bed and frightens us mere mortals.

My best advice is to ask again on a freq if unsure. If that fails hit up 121.5 and say position and ask for a freq. The commercial guys do that all the time and it works well enough when someone is lost in frequency land.

When we got lost like that we would ask ARINC to get us a frequency. My company really frowned on using 121.5 for purposes like that.

It's a moving target. Often sectors are combined at night or even during the day when traffic is slow.

I usually just listen to the radio. Its usually easy to tell when other aircraft are heading in the same direction. At least 80% of the time, the correct next frequency is in my flip-flop before my hand-off. (Higher actually, but I want to be conservative)

Not sure you'd do better with sector maps (center sectors are on the en route charts and they are part of the NRST function in most GPS units, even handhelds). Problem is TRACON/ATC frequencies aren't fixed in stone; they often increase and decrease with workload (especially TRACON frequencies). I doubt if you'd get a better percentage (I'd almost be willing to take a sure bet on worse) with sector maps than I get by just listening.

Last edited:

I listen to other aircraft going the same direction (but ahead) as me. I generally already have the next frequency dialed in, and usually get a chuckle out of the controller when he says "change to my frequency nnn.nn" and I respond with "already on it."

edit: I see Mark does the same thing. I should really read all posts before responding.

I listen to other aircraft going the same direction (but ahead) as me. I generally already have the next frequency dialed in, and usually get a chuckle out of the controller when he says "change to my frequency nnn.nn" and I respond with "already on it."

edit: I see Mark does the same thing. I should really read all posts before responding.
I'm betting you are I are not the only ones who do that. Seems too obvious to be unique.

Then again, the number of people who I've heard call a Unicom in rapid sequence asking for the same information makes me wonder...

Last edited:
PCT's NATCA site had the sector maps for the TRACON. As stated above, it switches based on which direction the various airports involved are operating.

I just look for the freq box nearest me and call them on that if I've lost the last controller without a handoff. Another plus for an EFB with georeferenced IFR en route charts.

I would be interested in a detailed map of Denver Center's sectors with freqs and MVAs, etc. More to improve my understanding of the local airspace than to use in flight.

In flight, I would look at the low enroute chart and find the nearest postage stamp and start there.

Also I might check ForeFlight's Frequencies section for a nearby airport. It will show one or more of the following: tower, approach control, a center freq, a CTAF/Unicom, or FSS. I can call in a get a center freq if needed.

Back