Arrival for Aircraft Parking

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
After a 25 year hiatus, I'm considering a flight to Oshkosh again. How early do I need to arrive to ensure a parking spot on the field? I'll be flying a plane that looks like it was built in the 1950s (a Maule tail dragger), but it's actually a 2002 model, so antique parking isn't viable. I'm OK with the North 40 though. If I only plan to stay for 3 days, is a mid-week arrival possible, or are all the on-site spots gone by then? My first flight to Air Venture was in 1985, and my last visit was in 1991, so it's about time I returned, I just don't know how hard it is to get in these days.

...How early do I need to arrive to ensure a parking spot on the field?....If I only plan to stay for 3 days, is a mid-week arrival possible, or are all the on-site spots gone by then?

If you want to have the best chance of a "guarantee" of parking, then go on Sunday. Mid-week is hit or miss, depending on lots of things (weather being one). You can listen to the ATIS and see if parking is available (they usually announce that) and then hope it actually is when you land. Last year I got turned around after landing when ATIS clearly said parking was available. You can also watch the website, as they make updates on parking there fairly often throughout the day.

Last year, GAP was open to singles the vast majority of the time. It was called 99% when we departed Janesville for OSH, though. Twin parking was pretty packed, though. Worst case, come in on an evening and hope to take one of the spots that a day-tripper vacates.

Last year in GAC/"North 40" there were always spots open because of early departures in the rows around me from Wed evening through to when I left on Sunday morning. I got in shortly after the field opened to arrivals on the morning before show opening and got parked in row 21 iirc (not too far from the camp store). I was there in 2000 and I thought things were more crowded and hectic back then; Oshkosh just seems to finally be recovering from the financial crisis downturn now.

It will be my first time. I can camp in vintage or GAC. For camping is one better than the other? I been there before but have never flown in and camped with my plane. 67 Mooney. I plan to arrive Friday and stay most of the week.

It will be my first time. I can camp in vintage or GAC. For camping is one better than the other? I been there before but have never flown in and camped with my plane. 67 Mooney. I plan to arrive Friday and stay most of the week.

N40 has better parties and the Mooney mass arrival parks in N40.

IIRC vintage is closer to the flightline, therefore farther from services like walking out the back gate to shop and eat. I'd go N40 if I were you. But I'll be in Homebuilt.

I you can stay on field and don' need to go off field to eat vintage is better. You're more part of the show, and everything in the show is closer. But if you wan to get off field to eat its a long journey.

North 40 all the way. Nothing like poking your head out the tent and watch the warbirds take off first thing in the morning. Midweek should have plenty of open spots.

Back