ARRGHHH! DISAPPOINTED!!! STYMIED BY A HANGAR DOOR!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
You know how I just said I figured my rickety old hangar was going to stay up OK? IT JUST BIT ME!

We went to fly on this loverly day. I couldn't figure out why the door chains were so tight. I went to move the other doors out of the way, when I realized the door was on the ground. I looked up and realized why there was a piece of wood on the ground. The top beam of the door had rotted and split so the bolt going to the hanger on the rail broke through it.

I figger a few guys could lift and muscle the door open so I went to the FBO. Crusty2 comes to look at it and says to not mess with it. The door can come off and fall on a plane.

I realize that there is probably 300-400 pounds of lumber alone there on the door, not to mention the sheet metal on it. It can be an uncontrollable load all by itself. The wind pushing on it surely wouldn't help.

It's hell being a grown up.

I gotta call the landlord on Monday.

Attachment NSFW!

Now I wonder if the rest of it can fall down.

Attachments

• disappointed.wav
    11.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sigh. At least you have a hangar.....

Today I vacuumed the house, cleaned two bathrooms, Changed two drain kits (the edges of the 18 year old fittings were starting to show corrosion--->ugly!, Fetched the Lawn Mower, put the snowblower out to the airport, no flying for this boy.

Still, I fell your pain. Crusty, however, is RIGHT.

Last edited:
Raised hell with your concentration and typing, too, eh? :eek:)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Mike. There are some really nice hangars at 10C :)

Too bad you did not get to fly today it looked beautiful out. I can't fly this whole weekend due to teaching a dive class. I have a BFR scheduled for Monday and the WX looks to suck! :(

The tornado or whatever is was last April blew down the Hangar door where we keep the King Air. Missed the nose by a foot. Doors still not replaced.

yup watch that door, Mike - lady killed by a hangar door in fla last year. Also, if the 'support beam' is rotted, can you be sure the hangar roof is structurally sound?
Good luck

Mike, sorry to hear that! Make sure they inspect the entire hangar. Don't want it coming down on your plane in a strong gust!

Leslie and I took the 210 up to Watertown for dinner tonight. Couldn't figure out why we were only seeing 135mph tops airspeed heading up there. Pretty sure now that the gear wasn't coming all the way up. Came down alright, though, and I was getting 180mph on the way back.

Sounds like a good time for a tie-down. Sorry, I'll be off somewhere in just a bit.

yup watch that door, Mike - lady killed by a hangar door in fla last year. Also, if the 'support beam' is rotted, can you be sure the hangar roof is structurally sound?
Good luck
I mean the top wood rail of the door. It's a 2x4 (2x6?) that the bolt went through the on the long dimension.

They just had a young man that I know replace the rain gutters over the doors. Our guess is up to now the door got hit by a lot of rain water which led to the rotting.

I mean the top wood rail of the door. It's a 2x4 (2x6?) that the bolt went through the on the long dimension.

They just had a young man that I know replace the rain gutters over the doors. Our guess is up to now the door got hit by a lot of rain water which led to the rotting.

I found out that if you want to try hangars out at Galt there is a 30 day free trial. When they get the broken door out of your way you might want to put the plane over at Galt to try it out. If you like it there after a month then sign a lease.

I found out that if you want to try hangars out at Galt there is a 30 day free trial. When they get the broken door out of your way you might want to put the plane over at Galt to try it out. If you like it there after a month then sign a lease.

Yeahbut I moved next the plane. Galt is 30 minutes away. :frown3:

They're supposed to fix the door this week.

Back