Arrested: Randy Babbitt

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Well, my sigline has become karma. The Administrator of the FAA was arrested last night, driving down the wrong side of the street. Secretary LaHood put him on administrative leave, meaning Deputy Admin Huerta is now the FAA administrator.

Though I have had many a beef with Mr. Babbitt's leadership (which was marked by the increasing politicization of the agency), this is not a frabjous day. It is a depressing day. Many of the "actual work level" professionals that the section chiefs fought to protect from undue influence, are just "black and blue".

It also means that with Dr. Tilton's opposition to the joint EAA/AOPA exemption petition (as yet not filed), the lack of political influence from above....mean the proposal is truly, truly dead.

Goodbye, Mr Babbitt.

Last edited:
This is NOT a frabjous day, my sigline notwithstanding. This is a depressing day, especially for those professionals within the agency who try every day to make Hard-Edged policy workable.

There is no administrator who would dare tangle with his Federal Air Surgeon over a matter involving himself. We'll be hearing from Mr. LaHood, shortly. The congressman solution will become apparent shortly, even if he beats the rap....which given the drive down the wrong side of the street, would be a stretch.

We also need to know the BAC to judge the behavior and to judge tolerance, just like for any airman. It will soon become public record.

It's going to be a long process. He has to report the arrest on his next medical; he doesn't have to report a conviction until within 60 days of conviction. So this could drag on 9 months. That is why deputy administrator Huerta is now the Acting Administrator.

In this "how it appears" administration, even if he has had only one violation (this one) and say he blew .09 and was sloppy drunk (e.g, no tolerance), it will take at least 3 months until the OKC boys make the determination (that's if it's that situation and R.B. presses it). If it is anything but, the General Counsel acting on behalf of the Secretary of Transporation will revoke it. This could go on 9 months, as it does for many line pilots.

He only has to report it on his next medical. He has until 60 days AFTER CONVICTION to report it to Airman Security (61.15).

This will be drawn out long enough that Deputy Administrator Huerta is now the real Administrator. See post #69.

AS you have gathered, I was not fond of the guy. And, now I have to change my sigline....from "the bandy rabbit must go!"

This is NOT a frabjous day, my sigline notwithstanding. This is a depressing day, especially for those professionals within the agency who try every day to make Hard-Edged policy workable.

There is no administrator who would dare tangle with his Federal Air Surgeon over a matter involving himself. We'll be hearing from Mr. LaHood, shortly. The congressman solution will become apparent shortly, even if he beats the rap....which given the drive down the wrong side of the street, would be a stretch.

We also need to know the BAC to judge the behavior and to judge tolerance, just like for any airman. It will soon become public record.

It's going to be a long process. He has to report the arrest on his next medical; he doesn't have to report a conviction until within 60 days of conviction. So this could drag on 9 months. That is why deputy administrator Huerta is now the Acting Administrator.

In this "how it appears" administration, even if he has had only one violation (this one) and say he blew .09 and was sloppy drunk (e.g, no tolerance), it will take at least 3 months until the OKC boys make the determination (that's if it's that situation and R.B. presses it). If it is anything but, the General Counsel acting on behalf of the Secretary of Transporation will revoke it. This could go on 9 months, as it does for many line pilots.

He only has to report it on his next medical. He has until 60 days AFTER CONVICTION to report it to Airman Security (61.15).

This will be drawn out long enough that Deputy Administrator Huerta is now the real Administrator. See post #69.

AS you have gathered, I was not fond of the guy. And, now I have to change my sigline....from "the bandy rabbit must go!"

Watching things happen from the back seat, I did not like how he ran things. I'm just a lowly spam can flier and most all my correspondence with the FAA has been positive. I hope he gets himself straightened out, a DUI with his email signature is a :no: :no: IMHO. And is inexcusable and I can't imagine WTF he was or wasn't thinking. I'm never happy when anyone runs afoul of the law and I don't have any reason to believe that the next guy will be any better.

Why are you guys so certain he even has a medical?

It's not a requirement for the job. Besides, his problems now are political.

If he was a Democrat congressman he could just cry for the cameras and go to rehab.

Why are you guys so certain he even has a medical?
JEROME RANDOLPH BABBITT

Address
Street 1923 LAKEPORT WAYCity RESTONState VACounty FAIRFAXZip Code 20191-5425Country USA

Medical

Medical Class: SecondMedical Date: 4/2011
<LI id=rrli0>MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.

So why does this spell the death knell of Exemption petition? Forgive me I'm not versed in the politics of the FAA.

Edit to add a random question:

Let's say two pilots are arrested, both blow a .09. One is arrested in a state where .10 is the legal limit, the other in a state where .08 is the limit. So one is convicted and one is not. Does the FAA care about the conviction? or about the amount of alcohol.

Last edited:
So why does this spell the death knell of Exemption petition? Forgive me I'm not versed in the politics of the FAA.

Let's say two pilots are arrested, both blow a .09. One is arrested in a state where .10 is the legal limit, the other in a state where .08 is the limit. So one is convicted and one is not. Does the FAA care about the conviction? or about the amount of alcohol.

Well arguing this on another forum. I believe they would care upon conviction if you told them within 60 days after the conviction. But either way, you have to report it on your next medical, then the FAA would read the report and make up their own mind. I could be wrong.

Wether he keeps his job or not is unrelated to the particulars of the medical certification process. It's purely political at this point. There is no requirement for the FAA exec to be an active pilot. It's nice. But not a requirement.

One of the reasons the entire bureaucracy is opposed to the removal of the 3rd class is alcoholism. Congress has bought off on that- testimony before Mica as spring (2010). I have TEN GUYS on random alcohol monitoring for DUIs. There are a LOT of pilots who booze (and get in trouble). It astonished me.

Allow me to remind that they didn't even let Shirley Sherrod finish driving home before she was canned. "You need to pull over so I can fire you."

One of the reasons the entire bureaucracy is opposed to the removal of the 3rd class is alcoholism. Congress has bought off on that- testimony before Mica as spring (2010). I have TEN GUYS on random alcohol monitoring for DUIs. There are a LOT of pilots who booze (and get in trouble). It astonished me.

You may be right. But....

Here in Fairfax county he will absolutly lose his drivers licence and be grounded as a sport pilot.

However, he will probably be able to jump through enough hoops to keep his medical and fly.

just sayin...

You may be right. But....

Here in Fairfax county he will absolutly lose his drivers licence and be grounded as a sport pilot.

However, he will probably be able to jump through enough hoops to keep his medical and fly.

just sayin...
...and likely be on the "we call you pee" system for 24 months.....(but still don't know the BAC).

Guys

I think you are been unfair with the guy. How many of you have been on the wrong side after picking that rental at Heathrow. I bet you he thought he was still in London after taking the red eye flight.:redface:

José

piloto said:
I think you are been unfair with the guy. How many of you have been on the wrong side after picking that rental at Heathrow. I bet you he thought he was still in London after taking the red eye flight.

I posted on another forum ... if he had been thinking quickly, he could have rolled down the window as the officer strolled up ... "I say, old chap, terribly sorry, I forgot I was in the States". He was so obviously s**tfaced in the booking photo, though; it wouldn't have worked.

I am inspired every single day by the FAA's commitment to public safety.

as I am depressed by the administrator's personal failing(s).

It is a mistake to view this as a personal failing. This person is seriously sick mentally, we believe his behavior is based on a brain disease and pure genetics. Personal responsibility plays no role in these matters.

Fortunately, there is treatment for this terrible disease. First he'll have to go bankrupt and homeless and check into a treatment facility in the range of $100,000 for as long as it takes for him to understand his disease. He may lose the wife and kids, but we are willing to do anything to help this very sick person. He will be so grateful once he gets the treatment he deserves in the HIMS program. He just doesn't see it yet. This person needs to be in a facility going bankrupt until he see's that he is sick mentally.

We all see it, but he doesn't. The FAA Administrator has made an attempt to argue at the NTSB level that one DUI disqualifies an airman from flying, yet he is driving drunk and flying himself. This is not a personal matter, this is the behavior of a person with a very serious mental illness. He obviously has no control over his own actions, it is in his genes. No matter what to he does, he may still be in denial, we have to make sure he knows he is sick mentally and in continual treatment.

Like cancer, there is no control over behavior just like you can't control cancer. We at the HIMS program like to model Nazi Psychiatry. Their methods killed 6 million people, however, that was only a misuse of psychiatry, we are only using the good parts of NAZI Psychiatry. We really hope he can live out his dream of flying, just as long as he is not in denial that he is mentally sick individual with absolutely zero control over himself.

YGBFKM. No personal responsibility. I hope you're not serious, and that's tongue-in-cheek.

Stop there, now you're talking common sense. You are doing a disservice to people suffering from the terrible disease of alcoholism. We don't know the genes that cause it but we believe that one day we will find the genes that prove there is no will power. Any display of exemplary behavior is a symptom of a dry drunk in denial of a terrible lifelong illness. Even though there is no scientific proof, the FAA and the HIMS program doesn't dabble in matters of ethics and common sense. Our top priority is public safety and getting people the help they so badly need.

Though there are chilling similarities between Nazi and HIMS Program psychiatrists, the FAA, unlike the Nazis, has no political motivations to destroy lives.

I hope Mr. Babbitt surrenders his medical and enters a $100,000 treatment facility. This is likely the worst case the HIMS Program will ever see. But the HIMS Program is ready for Mr. Babbitt and getting him the treatment he desperately needs.

Hey I'm no Saint... Nicotine still has me in its evil clutches, but even if there's some goofy genetic pre-disposition to these addictions, I know I could stop.

Gunpoint would be adequate motivation. ;)

Hey I'm no Saint... Nicotine still has me in its evil clutches, but even if there's some goofy genetic pre-disposition to these addictions, I know I could stop.

Gunpoint would be adequate motivation. ;)

lung cancer is like gunpoint if you think about it

It is a mistake to view this as a personal failing. This person is seriously sick mentally, we believe his behavior is based on a brain disease and pure genetics. Personal responsibility plays no role in these matters.

Fortunately, there is treatment for this terrible disease. First he'll have to go bankrupt and homeless and check into a treatment facility in the range of $100,000 for as long as it takes for him to understand his disease. He may lose the wife and kids, but we are willing to do anything to help this very sick person. He will be so grateful once he gets the treatment he deserves in the HIMS program. He just doesn't see it yet. This person needs to be in a facility going bankrupt until he see's that he is sick mentally.

We all see it, but he doesn't. The FAA Administrator has made an attempt to argue at the NTSB level that one DUI disqualifies an airman from flying, yet he is driving drunk and flying himself. This is not a personal matter, this is the behavior of a person with a very serious mental illness. He obviously has no control over his own actions, it is in his genes. No matter what to he does, he may still be in denial, we have to make sure he knows he is sick mentally and in continual treatment.

Like cancer, there is no control over behavior just like you can't control cancer. We at the HIMS program like to model Nazi Psychiatry. Their methods killed 6 million people, however, that was only a misuse of psychiatry, we are only using the good parts of NAZI Psychiatry. We really hope he can live out his dream of flying, just as long as he is not in denial that he is mentally sick individual with absolutely zero control over himself.
You might want to look me up on the list of HIMS sponsors. I am there, you know. And I have NO IDEA who you really are. When I sponsor my guys, I am on the line as the guy I sponsor. No hint of NAZI there.

If you are a HIMS Pilot or HIMS grad, you already know the "motivation" aspect of the program. But recall in the 70s, if you showed up to work intoxicated, you were fired and never worked again. Then you did lose your marriage, house, and family. If you are HIMS or a HIMS grad, you have the opportunity to work the rest of your career and contribute to others, to take a year off and get recovery on COMPANY MEDICAL. For the guys in corporate settings or in 135 operation.....not so much.

Some of the most protective and aggressive pilots I know are the company HIMS monitor/pilots. They can SMELL a relapse at fifty feet. They know it personally. They are ferocious. They are also defending the FACT that there has never been an operational incident involving one of our guys.

I can personally, feel disappointment in any of my HIMS aviators personally. One of my retired buddies, has a farm about 40 miles out of town. His standalone hangar has a picture of every D___ Airliner for which he was PIC. But the FIRST framed photo in the row, is his letter of eligibility. He's proud of it.

That doesn't change what we do, the program to which we all adhere, and the fact that it is a disease. Period. And HIMS has NOTHING to do with NAZI psychiatry. That word does not appear in our original grant application anywhere. Nothing at all. The change has to come from within, to recognize that until the end of one's days, HIMS grads are in recovery.

Despite all the carping and moaning of my most recent sponsor-ee, he at least will get his children educated and get the mortgage paid. And it's a good bet (I bet on him) that he'll "get it". It'll take another 6 months or so....

Attachments

• HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,438
Last edited:
You might want to look me up on the list of HIMS sponsors. I am there, you know. And I have NO IDEA who you really are. When I sponsor my guys, I am on the line as the guy I sponsor. No hint of NAZI there.

If you are a HIMS Pilot or HIMS grad, you already know the "motivation" aspect of the program. But recall in the 70s, if you showed up to work intoxicated, you were fired and never worked again. Then you did lose your marriage, house, and family. If you are HIMS or a HIMS grad, you have the opportunity to work the rest of your career and contribute to others, to take a year off and get recovery on COMPANY MEDICAL. For the guys in corporate settings or in 135 operation.....not so much.

Some of the most protective and aggressive pilots I know are the company HIMS monitor/pilots. They can SMELL a relapse at fifty feet. They know it personally. They are ferocious. They are also defending the FACT that there has never been an operational incident involving one of our guys.

I can personally, feel disappointment in any of my HIMS aviators personally. One of my retired buddies, has a farm about 40 miles out of town. His standalone hangar has a picture of every D___ Airliner for which he was PIC. But the FIRST framed photo in the row, is his letter of eligibility. He's proud of it.

That doesn't change what we do, the program to which we all adhere, and the fact that it is a disease. Period. And HIMS has NOTHING to do with NAZI psychiatry. That word does not appear in our original grant application anywhere. Nothing at all. The change has to come from within, to recognize that until the end of one's days, HIMS grads are in recovery.

Despite all the carping and moaning of my most recent sponsor-ee, he at least will get his children educated and get the mortgage paid. And it's a good bet (I bet on him) that he'll "get it". It'll take another 6 months or so....

I am glad your sponsee's are proud of their spectacular accomplishments. They should be very proud.

Doc Bruce,

I agree that ATPs shouldn't lose their careers for a DUI. However, the HIMS Program is a sick joke against people without any problems. The more of an over achiever you are, the more you say you don't have a problem (and have demonstrated so through years of exemplary behavior) the more you are in 'denial'. The more of a dry drunk you are.

It is a crime against humanity. I am not going to argue with you about wether or not alcoholism is a disease or not. Because it is not. There are not major players in the field of cancer research arguing that cancer is not a disease. There are however, many established professors of medicine and psychiatry arguing there is no disease and that Psychiatry has no scientific basis. We do have some vague knowledge of genetic predispositions, but even for something as serious as Schizophrenia there is absolutely no way to assign a diagnosis based on genetic information. With the advancement of DNA sequencing and other methods of gene marking we might get a better understanding of risk but thats all it can ever be is an illusion of risk.

The Nazi Psychiatrists did make fake diagnosis to kill millions of people, but the HIMS Psychiatrists are FORCING people to believe they have a disease, in my opinion this is actually worse. The less of an alcoholic you are, the more you are in denial. Drapetomania was a biological disease to that slaves had who ran away to freedom. I am not making this up. Alcoholism is a moral failing, it only appears to be a disease. IN soviet Russia political dissenters of communism also had a brain disease. You should really study the history of the misuse of psychiatry, then think really hard about what they are doing.

I argue that HIMS Psychiatrists are committing crimes against humanity through the misuse of psychiatry for political purposes. I am very firm on my position.

If what I am saying sounds too rational just tell yourself I am in 'denial'. After all the more reasonable I sound the more in denial I must be right? The HIMS Program is a sick joke, that's what I 'SMELL'

Maybe you and Dr. Bruce can take this discussion to email. You've stated your point. Now you're hijacking the thread and becoming a distraction.

Old Geek,

I understand your point. This is a thread on Mr. Babbitt after all. I apologize if I was looking at things too closely.

For those who have forgotten, this is how to "ignore" a troll.
Click on user name (i.e., HIMS program)
Select 'View Public Profile'
Under User Name, click on 'User Lists'
Select 'Add to Ignore List'
Under Confirm User List Modification, Click 'Yes'
Continue doing whatever you wish.

My purpose is not to enrage anyone, I am not trolling. I am simply speaking rationally about the misuse, failings, and damage that the HIMS Program is doing to pilots.

I am not the only one who has had their life destroyed by the HIMS Program and the belief systems that the program is based on.

Anyone is free to challenge any of my positions. In science, criticism is never taken personally. Interestingly, HIMS psychiatrists and the HIMS Program supporters always take criticism personally.

Without criticism what you got might be politics, or you might have religion. But you DON'T have SCIENCE.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back