ARNAV STAR 5000 VFR GPS Navigator

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I poked my head instead the cockpit of a Bonanza I'm supposed to start flying and noticed this unit was the only GPS in the aircraft. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Is it still supported and can you get an updated database for it?

Thanks,
Jason

I poked my head instead the cockpit of a Bonanza I'm supposed to start flying and noticed this unit was the only GPS in the aircraft. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Is it still supported and can you get an updated database for it?

Thanks,
Jason

I don't think Jepp supports it anymore but I could be wrong. IIRC the STAR 5000 came out about the time Arnav went belly up. They were pretty much the king of the IFR LORAN business (BK's KLN90 was the only real competition) and the Star5000 was supposed to keep them there in the GPS world but it just didn't pan out. Their concept was a multisensor system (GPS+LORAN) with a common control head and DB. Probably would have caught on if GPS wasn't so superior to LORAN that it pretty much killed the new installs of LORAN avionics.

Back