Army Reserve for medical personnel NA

redcloud

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scott keyes
Has anyone on the forum had any personal experience joining the Army Reserve as a medical provider?

It appears that the amount of time they require per year for service is less than I spend away from my practice on less useful undertakings (big game hunting, traveling, etc) and since my flight school is now essentially on auto-pilot; I think it may be a way to stimulate (er reinvigorate) myself professionally and at the same time be of service.

I am a little naive regarding promises made versus promises realized by the Army.

Sincerely,

Scott

Has anyone on the forum had any personal experience joining the Army Reserve as a medical provider?

It appears that the amount of time they require per year for service is less than I spend away from my practice on less useful undertakings (big game hunting, traveling, etc) and since my flight school is now essentially on auto-pilot; I think it may be a way to stimulate (er reinvigorate) myself professionally and at the same time be of service.

I am a little naive regarding promises made versus promises realized by the Army.

Sincerely,

Scott

Whew...

I retired after 21 years, with about 15 years of that time in Reserve Components. I was in line units (armor, Infantry, etc), but can say that as an Officer (and a leader) for every hour spent on a UTA required 3-5 preparing, etc.

There were Company Command meetings, battalion Staff meetings, and the Unit Training Assemblies each month. Couple recon trips to ranges, training plan development, paperwork, post MUTA reports, etc, and the time added up.

I found it immensely rewarding and ridiculously frustrating, all at the same time.

These days the overall OPTEMPO is on HIGH, so I can't imagine what today's RC soldiers are doing with all that free time.

Sincerely,

Scott

I spent 12 years in the Army Reserve as an enlisted man. The army is easy on promises, if it isn't written down it isn't a promise. So be sure to read everything and insist they show you in writting anything they promise you. I got my self a $10,000 bonus they promised but didn't know how to do the paper work for because I insisted to have it in writing, If I hadn't insisted on seeing it in writing I would not have got it. This bonus paid for much of my instrument rating.

I worked with officers a lot (commander's driver/Radio operator) and I can second the observation that officers typically will spend at lot of their own time preparing for the actual scheduled activities.

Best recommendation is to find someone that is doing what you want to do and get it 1st hand from them. A recruiter should be able to arrange for you to visit you local Reserve unit. Meet the people you would be working with and arrange to take them out for beer afterwards.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Sincerely,

Scott

Scott, are you a MD?

I have two different cousins who are MD part-time reservists...A ENT surgeon for the Air Force, and a general surgeon for the Army. They are both currently in Iraq on extended deployments. YMMV.

Scott, are you a MD?

I have two different cousins who are MD part-time reservists...A ENT surgeon for the Air Force, and a general surgeon for the Army. They are both currently in Iraq on extended deployments. YMMV.

No, I am an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon.

Back