Arizona Advice

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
My wife and I have never visited the southwest states and now I have to be in Scottsdale for a conference from May 9th to the 12th staying at the Westin Kierland. We would like to stay over the weekend and do some driving to explore Arizona and were thinking about Sedona (how far a drive from Scottsdale?). Looking for possible other driving recommendations, things to see, etc. as well as hotel suggestions for Sedona area.

I spent a week in Prescott a few years ago. While I was there I drove around Sedona and north the Flagstaff through the Oak Creek Canyon. That's a pretty drive. I would think Sedona would be about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Scottsdale. Another place to see is Jerome. It's a little mining town built on the side of Mingus Mountain. The drive over Mingus Mountian from Sedona to Prescott is really pretty too. You really need to see a sunset in Sedona.

We spent one day in Scottsdale visiting a wild life park. That's as far south as we went.

Jeannie

Barry,

Sedona is closer to 2 hours north of Scottsdale, depending on the route (I-17 is fastest). As Jean mentioned, Jerome is a great place to visit as well (and a personal favorite of mine).

If you go to Sedona, drive up Oak Creek Canyon to the rest area at the top of the canyon for a beautiful scenic view. It's about 30 minutes up and back from Sedona without any stops. Stop at Call of the Canyon parking area for a nice hike. Not long with no hills and it gets you away from the road and along Oak Creek. Bring a camera for some nice photos.

For "big canyon" type stuff without the Grand in front of it, Salt River Canyon is about two hours away along Highway 60. You'll travel with desert then small, tight canyons, high plains, and finally into the second largest canyon in AZ (I think) that was formed by the Salt River. Some call it the Little Grand Canyon.

May will be fairly warm but not bad per the averages. Load up lots of water in case something happens. When we go "out and about" for the day, I'll just throw a whole case in the truck.

The Westin Kierland is a nice place. I've never stayed in Sedona so I have no recommendations. If no one else comes up with anything, PM me and I'll do some investigating with some friends.

Michael said:
In a cessna maybe. :dunno:
I live 2 miles south of Deer Valley and 15 minutes from SDL, right across Scottsdale road from the Westin Kierland.

From my house to the Oaxaca Cafe on 89A is almost exactly 1.5 hours via I-17 at 5mph over the speed limit. I used to go there every Thursday or Friday morning when I worked Sunday through Wednesday, fishing Oak Creek Canyon on my days off since no one was there during the week. I'd leave real early, hit the Cafe for breakfast, then fish most of the day.

Two hours from Scottsdale to Sedona is no problem. Same with Jerome (good breakfast/lunch at the Jerome Grill (although I think they changed the name recently)).

actually Brian, i wasnt arguing with the fact it took 2 hours to drive to sedona, as much as i was poking fun at how slow those high wings are. Barry, give us a shout when u make it out this way :)

Michael said:
actually Brian, i wasnt arguing with the fact it took 2 hours to drive to sedona, as much as i was poking fun at how slow those high wings are.
Sorry. Been a crappy week after a crappy month, topped off by a server that goes down 30 minutes after I finish up a 45 minute drive FROM the office. Get to the office 45 minutes later, hit the power switch and the stupid thing comes back up like nothing happened. Another 15 minutes trying to see if it would do it again and looking at logs, then 45 minutes back home.

Now I'm writing a pyschology paper that would have been done by now if none of that had happened. Blah.

Brian, you must live right around the corner from my sis. Blue Bell Dr, or something like that.

Psych is like a hobby to me. What topic?

For an Eng Lit class, I wrote a comparison study of Kubler-Ross', "On Death and Dying" and, Kafka's "Metamorphisis". I'm still kicking myself why I did that to myself.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Brian, you must live right around the corner from my sis. Blue Bell Dr, or something like that.
I live about a mile north of Bell Rd. and 7th Ave. Not sure where Blue Bell is, though. ;)

Richard said:
Psych is like a hobby to me. What topic?

For an Eng Lit class, I wrote a comparison study of Kubler-Ross', "On Death and Dying" and, Kafka's "Metamorphisis". I'm still kicking myself why I did that to myself.
It would be considered a survey course (ie one chapter covering a different topic, with two or so covered per week). The paper is easy: applying Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to my employer (ie what does the company do to meet those needs?). Only two pages, which I could write in my sleep. I'm rather verbose when required. :D

Sleep Inn is pleasant and moderately priced. Right next to it is an excellent bar/grill surrounded by huge windows. Across the street is Carlos O'Brien's(Mexican restaurant).[Obviously, I like to eat.]

Jerome may be the only place you'll see a 1930s or 40s garage preserved with a big Studebaker sign on its front. Another nice drive -- or flight -- is to Wickenburg. Plenty of photo opps, good food, great little museum, and a little antique shop for which to die if one is a browser.

http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/COMMUNE/wickenburg.pdf

HR

Thanks guys. I'll print this off and show it to my wife who is doing the planning.

Michael - I'm not sure if I'll get time to contact anyone as my conference doesn't end until Friday afternoon and then we were planning to drive up to Sedona. Saturday at Sedona, and then drive back on Sunday for the flight home.

Back