Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
What is this in bold?

SYNOPSIS...ALF..ZONAL FLOW WITH SLOW BLDG RDG W U.S. TROF E CO-NE
NM. TROF CNTRL ALTA-W MT. TROF 49N132W-E WA. TROF LOW 50N143W-
35N146W. 14Z LOW S CNTRL SASK. TROF W DKTS-CNTRL KS. TROF E CNTRL
BC-W MT. TROF WA/OR CSTL WTRS. LOW 49N140W.
SFC..WRMFNT NE TX-LOW 70SW LBB. OCFNT LOW N VIRSL-SE BC. CDFNT SE
BC-NE OR-NW CA-37N125W. 14Z CDFNT LOW NERN NE-NE PNHDL-NE WY.
CDFNT LOW NR ABI-INK-E CNTRL NM. HIGH CNTRL ID.

VIR = visual and infrared radiometer
SL = severe left moving supercell

Not sure if those combine to VIRSL or not.

What is this in bold?

SYNOPSIS...ALF..ZONAL FLOW WITH SLOW BLDG RDG W U.S. TROF E CO-NE
NM. TROF CNTRL ALTA-W MT. TROF 49N132W-E WA. TROF LOW 50N143W-
35N146W. 14Z LOW S CNTRL SASK. TROF W DKTS-CNTRL KS. TROF E CNTRL
BC-W MT. TROF WA/OR CSTL WTRS. LOW 49N140W.

I am betting Steven.P. Mc Nickol will know it..:nonod::nonod::yikes:

I am betting it is a typo:
VRISL =VANCOUVER ISLAND

I am betting it is a typo:
VRISL =VANCOUVER ISLAND

That's a great guess!

=

Surface warm front in NE Texas; low 70 miles (statute or nautical?) SW of Lubbock. Occluded Low from North of Vancouver Island to SE British Columbia. Cold front from SE British Columbia through NE Oregon through NW California (lat-long).

We're not using teletypes..we don't need to have so many damn acronyms ...bandwidth is not an issue.

I really wish they'd provide those damn things in a readable format. I despise reading them. Provide two formats--one english with complete sentences and one XML (for computer processing / aviation weather apps)..it is the year 2009.

We're not using teletypes..we don't need to have so many damn acronyms ...bandwidth is not an issue.

I really wish they'd provide those damn things in a readable format. I despise reading them. Provide two formats--one english with complete sentences and one XML (for computer processing / aviation weather apps)..it is the year 2009.
LOL

w8t! c tt speak didnot di it bcame txt!
G8t y will hv to learn new sc!

HAND

I agree. It's possible to misinterpret them if not read correctly.

Ever translate something as simple to read as a TAF into wordy complete sentences? It turns into a paragraph of blithering to get a few characters of information. FA's would be pages of nonsense to get a few lines of translation. I'd rather go flying than read a novel to figure out that it's not raining outside.

Weather reports are just like any other language. Just learn the language and quit translating into english and it's sooooo much easier. Every once in a while you have to look up a new word you haven't seen/heard before but that's not a big deal.

Ever translate something as simple to read as a TAF into wordy complete sentences? It turns into a paragraph of blithering to get a few characters of information. FA's would be pages of nonsense to get a few lines of translation. I'd rather go flying than read a novel to figure out that it's not raining outside.

Weather reports are just like any other language. Just learn the language and quit translating into english and it's sooooo much easier. Every once in a while you have to look up a new word you haven't seen/heard before but that's not a big deal.
To each their own -- I can read pretty fast -- and I've very rarely seen a pilot read all of that and fully understand it. It seems prone to error. I don't even read the things personally.

Back