Are we supposed to be kept in the dark for landing?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
On the flight to KC for ScottD's Beyond the Wx Brief shindig, it was a nice flight but something was done by the cabin crew that raised a question.

For the departure from DFW and through out 90% of flight, the general cabin lighting was on and turned up full. But after the final pass throughs collecting beverage service items, these lights were turned off and we did the approach, landing, and taxi "completely dark" except for any reading lights turned on.

Whats the purpose for turning out the lights?

On the flight to KC for ScottD's Beyond the Wx Brief shindig, it was a nice flight but something was done by the cabin crew that raised a question.

For the departure from DFW and through out 90% of flight, the general cabin lighting was on and turned up full. But after the final pass throughs collecting beverage service items, these lights were turned off and we did the approach, landing, and taxi "completely dark" except for any reading lights turned on.

Whats the purpose for turning out the lights?

What time was this, on your AA flight?

I wondered this the last time I flew, and concluded it was so that the whiteish cabin lights weren't confused with the white light on the tail and confuse other airplanes. Made sense to me, but I'm positive it's not the real answer.

landed at 9:30pm Central, so... the last 15 minutes?

It's a safety thing, or so I'm told. For takeoff and landing they want the cabin the same as the outside, if that makes sense, in case there was a crash then your eyes would be adjusted to the conditions already.

I'm sure one of the airline types can confirm, but my understanding is that the cabin lighting is required to be dimmed for takeoff and landing in order to facilitate evacuation should that be necessary, so you can "follow the emergency lighting in the floor," like the FAs always say in their briefing.

I'm sure one of the airline types can confirm, but my understanding is that the cabin lighting is required to be dimmed for takeoff and landing in order to facilitate evacuation should that be necessary, so you can "follow the emergency lighting in the floor," like the FAs always say in their briefing.

sounds plausible, regardless, it isn't abnormal that time of the evening. IF it is dark at take or landing, it is dark shortly thereafter or before..

So what do they do during an emergency during daylight hours ? Make us slide down the shades to make it dark enough ?

Makes no sense.

Dont think this has anything to do with safety. They dim the light because they dont need it for cabin service. If someone wants to read, they have the spotlight, if they want to doze, they are in the dark.

Last edited:
During daylight hours if you had to evacuate there is nothing to adjust for your eyes.

It's just like doing a night flight. The books *encourage* you to not be around any bright light for 30 minutes before takeoff so your eyes have adjusted to darkness. I think Lane is correct. :)

And the fact that landings with those interiors on, make the lights shutter causing a strobe light effect

Lights should be dimmed, window shades should be up. That way your eyes are acclimated to ambient conditions in the event of an emergency event, particularly if power fails during that emergency event and egress lighting is then battery powered.

Shades should be up so that you can see if there is fire on the side you are trying to exit.

Its only done at night. Its not so you're eyes can acclimate, but that doesn't hurt.

The real reason is so you can see out the window.

Ever heard of a woman undressing in a hotel room at night with the shades open? Happens all the time. From her perspective the window is opaque...she just sees her reflection. From the outside though looking in the window is very clear.

Same happens in an airplane at night. Every window is a mirror from the inside if the cabin lights are on and its dark. By dimming the cabin light you can now see out. If its dark its dark, but at least its not a mirror.

Last edited:
???

Do you mean "shudder"?

Either way, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Yes sir...Shudder. I was on a flight (one of the majors) where I am pretty certain we landed with the lights on. I can remember the lights flickering a lot

Captain;1135676 Ever heard of a woman undressing in a hotel room at night with the shades open? Happens all the time. From her perspective the window is opaque...she just sees her reflection. From the outside though looking in the window is very clear.[/QUOTE said:
"Heard of" such a thing? I had this buddy once. . .

Wells

Back