Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
This from Avweb

Texas Fly-In Cancelled—EAA Decision Cited

By Russ Niles, Editor-in-Chief [see AvWeb for article]

I wonder how this will effect the other reagonal flyins

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what law suit? The last thing I can think of was the Vans/TBM accident two years ago.

I don't think we will loose our flyins. But I can see that large groups won't want thier name used for fears that folks will think they are organzing it. I mean how many flyins do we call AOPA NE flyer or POA Fly In or the like. Of course its only because we belong to those groups and that how we know each other. But in reality EAA. POA , AOPA or the like have nothing do do with them. EAA is a bit different because as i understand it they have local chapters that do have flyins.

The reluctance of the EAA and the CAP to be associated with any kind of fly-day event led to the revival of a local pilots club here. The EAA and CAP members, many were members of both, revived a local club so they could organize events. The EAA chapter, as an EAA chapter, couldn't organize local get togethers involving spot landings, flour sack bombing, balloon popping, etc.

The reluctance of the EAA and the CAP to be associated with any kind of fly-day event led to the revival of a local pilots club here. The EAA and CAP members, many were members of both, revived a local club so they could organize events. The EAA chapter, as an EAA chapter, couldn't organize local get togethers involving spot landings, flour sack bombing, balloon popping, etc.

Balloon popping? As in, releasing a bunch of helium balloons and trying to fly through them and pop them with the prop or something? :dunno:

Balloon popping? As in, releasing a bunch of helium balloons and trying to fly through them and pop them with the prop or something? :dunno:

Releasing a single helium balloon with a crepe paper streamer on the pilots command as he approaches the field and then attempting to pop it with the propeller. Best score on three attempts wins. I've achieved 2 of 3 and got the streamer on the third but someone else popped all three. The method I use is to rely on the idea that an object that doesn't appear to be moving in the windscreen is on a collision course.

I've seen some of that balloon-popping, and some of it scared me -- a few folks seemed to get a little crazy trying to nail the balloon and forget about things like aircraft and skill limitations.

I've seen some of that balloon-popping, and some of it scared me -- a few folks seemed to get a little crazy trying to nail the balloon and forget about things like aircraft and skill limitations.
I can certainly imagine that. But done right, it is fun to watch.

I remember one act at Old Rhinebeck where a roll of toilet paper was released and the pilot of the old biplane (can't remember which one) cut the streamer 6 times in six passes before the ground came too close. He was good.

-Skip

I can certainly imagine that. But done right, it is fun to watch.
No question.
I remember one act at Old Rhinebeck where a roll of toilet paper was released and the pilot of the old biplane (can't remember which one) cut the streamer 6 times in six passes before the ground came too close. He was good.
I've also seen it done by pros, at the Flying Circus airshow in Virginia, and it was great, but seeing it done by amateurs has scared me.

We do two fly-in's a year at our local fly-in community. The balloon-pops are fun, but the spot-landing and especially the flour-bombing, get the biggest cheers.

I can't imagine how much EAA pays for an insutrance premium. The EAA lost a $$multi-million judgement in the Doctor Laird Dacter Corsair suit because the air boss gave a cleared for takeoff and Laird flew into the plane ahead.

I wonder if that has something to do with EAA changing endorsed insurance companies from Avemco to Falcon.

Back