Are these guys nuts???

I could never fly gliders if I had to listen to that vario all the time. I had to quit watching it was so fraggin annoying.

I'm not a glider type. After watching this video :hairraise:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284543

I don't think I ever will be a glider type. :eek:

Are these guys nuts or am I just kinda chicken??

I'm thinkin' the question is more along the lines of: Just how nuts are these guys?

Okay, Okay, that last bit on the video was down and out of a canyon and that's pretty much alright by mountain flying rulez. The ridge stuff, well, maybe they had checked it out before the video started and they knew where the ups-n-downs were.

If any of my optimistic assumptions are incorrect then I predict we'll read about'em in the paper some day...

Jeez... just, jeez!

Lift/sink meter...and it's for annoying the hell out of me apparantly.

Ed, I found something for you:

5a5dar.jpg

Yeah, but I wanted to hear what they were saying too.

easy to turn the vario off. Most of the gliders I've flown don't even have an audio indicator.

As for running down the rocks like that. Do-able but quite a bit more risky than most soaring operations. Context, conditions, and experience make all the difference. Worth it?

They sounded a bit hypoxic to me.

That looks like a blast, and I would imagine they did not just dive into it (pun intended)... in fact, if I heard the conversation right, both had investigted and worked their way into this maneuver on previous flights, and the one flying in this clip was showing the other guy an extension of the run (into the "chute") that he had worked out earlier. They probably picked a day with minimal wind, as well... a gust or strong downdraft is what'll kill you doing something like this.

By the time they're near the bottom, they have a lot of extra speed, so getting as low to the terrain as they do is not really so dangerous.

Never flown with an audio vario, but when you're focused outside and looking to get lift, I understand it's very handy. You get used to it, I guess... and the rising tone (which means you're in lift) probably brings a conditioned pleasure response after a while. :D

But does anybody know what the really annoying alarm-like sound is as they actually get into the run? Is that the vario "maxing out"?

yep nothing annoying about the beepbeepbeep of the audio vario at all. UP UP AND AWAY!

The vario reminded me of this:

Back