Are there rules about...

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
...towing a vehicle with an airplane?

We were watching with amusement the other day as the head airport maintenance guy was trying to get his plow out of the snow bank. We called him on the radio to 1) get the 10 minute PPR we need for takeoff and 2) to make fun of him a bit. He jokingly asked if, on our way out, he could tie a rope to the back of the plane and we could just give him a bit of a tug out of the bank. That got us to wondering...are there any rules about using a plane to tow a vehicle?

i dont think so, as long as the "vehicle" and the towplane do not get airborne

Matt, that looks certifiably COLD!

Matt, that looks certifiably COLD!

That day wasn't bad...only about 28 out. Today, however:

This Afternoon: Sunny and cold, with a high near 10. Wind chill values as low as -7. Northwest wind between 11 and 13 mph.

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KAUG 031853Z AUTO 33010KT 10SM CLR M14/M23 A3044 RMK AO2 SLP317 T11391228[/FONT]

That's why I'm glad today is my Saturday!

...towing a vehicle with an airplane?

We were watching with amusement the other day as the head airport maintenance guy was trying to get his plow out of the snow bank. We called him on the radio to 1) get the 10 minute PPR we need for takeoff and 2) to make fun of him a bit. He jokingly asked if, on our way out, he could tie a rope to the back of the plane and we could just give him a bit of a tug out of the bank. That got us to wondering...are there any rules about using a plane to tow a vehicle?

I don't think there's any regulation, although it's probably not a wise idea unless you have a tailhook to tow with. It be a shame to buckle/pop rivets on your airframe....:no:

Yes, there is a regulation! Remember, there is a regulation for everything these days.
Matt check out 91.311

Other than possibly 91.13, no, I don't think there is any regulation with potential application to the specific instance, but Henning's caution about potential aircraft damage would be well taken.

I'll be damned. I wonder who did what causing how much damage to lead to THAT addition?

There are rules for things you never even imagined you would want to break!
I stumbled across it not too long ago looking for something else.

There are rules for things you never even imagined you would want to break!
I stumbled across it not too long ago looking for something else.
What's even more amazing is that Ron didn't know this one off the top of his head!:no::rofl::hairraise::rofl:

What's even more amazing is that Ron didn't know this one off the top of his head!:no::rofl::hairraise::rofl:

I'm still waiting for him to come by and pay due homage to my patently superior knowledge of the FARs. :D:rofl::D:rofl: (as if)

actually re that far, where does banner towing fit in? When does towing with a helicopter become 'slinging' instead of 'dragging' or 'towing'?

Attachments

• helotow.jpg
    helotow.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 8
Does that mean banner towing is done by waiver only? And most (all?) banner tow a/c are restricted cat only? 91.311 & 91.313

Yes, there is a regulation! Remember, there is a regulation for everything these days.
Matt check out 91.311

Hmmm, great callout! I suppose this means I'll have to go back to giving the most obnoxious kid in the family a seat in my plane. Traffic not a factor, though. Sub-Part D of Part 91 is titled "Special Flight Operations". I know I'm going way out on a limb here but I'm betting that not even the densest of FSDO inspectors would consider towing a snowplow out of the ditch a "Flight Operation."

Regards,
Joe

Last edited:
Matt check out 91.311

Unless you plan to tow the truck in flight, I doubt it would be considered a "Special Flight Operation", sounds more like a Ground Operation.

If you started and left the chocks with the intention for flight and then towed the truck you did so in flight.

If you left the chocks with the intention to tow the truck you did not do it in flight.

If you started and left the chocks with the intention for flight and then towed the truck you did so in flight.

If you left the chocks with the intention to tow the truck you did not do it in flight.

What if we left the chocks with the intention of towing the truck then going flying? Or would we have to come back, block in, block out and go fly? Or for that matter, what about if we just got done flying (without passengers, of course)? :D:goofy:

Back