Are people always stupid near trains?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Before today I Never understood train vs people or train vs car accidents. Logically, it requires the victim to be within a well defined narrow path at the exact moment the train comes. Except for blind corners see and avoid should be simple but somehow it must be hard.

At my station the pax have to cross the track but there are lights & bells. Coming off the train I see a slow moving frieght train coming but instead of waiting I see a mass of people running in front of it so of course the train stops 30 ft short. Now it starts to creep along when 2 ppl walk onto the track facing away from the train and just stand there talking while the lights & bells go off. The horn blows but they don't even look. It wasn't until I shouted "Hey! There's a train behind you!" with the train stopped 10 ft away that they moved.

I know we have a few train guys here. Is this what you normal deal with? And since when did trains gain the ability to stop so easily? I thought it took hundreds of feet even at slow speds.

Back