Archie League Medal to Lake Charles, LA air traffic controller

He did a very good job. It was nice seeing a positive story like this.

However, I don't think that he saved her life, which is what Melissa Block claimed he did.

That sounded like good old southern hospitality.....it was nice to see good people help someone in distress.

She took off again??? That might not have been a good idea on the students part but maybe she learned a little something.

What a great story. If interested in the full audio, it is here.
Wow. I hadn't realized that he'd rolled the truck for her. He really was walking her through that landing. I know he's a pilot, but I wonder if he's an instructor, too.

I liked the commentary from the other pilots on frequency: "I remember those days", "nice job young lady", etc.

Wow. I hadn't realized that he'd rolled the truck for her. He really was walking her through that landing. I know he's a pilot, but I wonder if he's an instructor, too.

I liked the commentary from the other pilots on frequency: "I remember those days", "nice job young lady", etc.
I was hearing recently a controller cannot actively instruct while also an active controller with the FAA. I don't know if that's true.

Kudos to the controllers who helped these pilots and saved lives.

Doesn't that make you want to send a box of donuts or something to the guy?

I was hearing recently a controller cannot actively instruct while also an active controller with the FAA. I don't know if that's true.
It's not. One of the controllers at one of the FBOs around here works for Norcal TRACON and instructs.

Is there anything about the pilot? I find it quite odd that she was on a solo XC, coming all the way from Mississippi to Lake Charles. Thats a far stretch! More than 50nm, a lot more!

Last edited:
Back