Archer III start-up procedure

I asked my question on another forum and one of the answers mentioned that the there is a Supplement 10 to the AFM that changed the starting procedure. If he was correct, that may be what your PIM is missing.

...the difference between a PIM and an AFM.

Nope... Supplement 10 is for the Skywatch system.

No supplement should address starting procedures unless it's for a related component added under an STC. So if a new starter were added, or different mags, or something like that, it might be relevant. But I went out and looked at the AFM, not the PIM, and there's no relevant supplement.

Ain't that the way it is with new planes these days. We could only put three plus bags in a current-production 182 I helped ferry, while our club's 1966 180 Cherokee had a full 1000 lb useful load (full fuel plus four adults or three plus bags -- on 55 less HP than that new 182). But I'll bet a Warrior of any particular vintage has at least 100 lb less useful load than an Archer of the same vintage, while an Arrow's payload is typically about the same as a Warrior's (again, similar vintage).

Yeah, the old 160hp Skyhawk has 50lb more useful load than the 180hp Archer III. You can actually get three 200lb guys and full fuel in the 172...

Yeah, the old 160hp Skyhawk has 50lb more useful load than the 180hp Archer III. You can actually get three 200lb guys and full fuel in the 172...
Yeah -- an old one, like '70's vintage. I think the 160HP 172R's are basically 2-seaters with full fuel and more than overnight baggage.

...or if it's the turbocharged version.
Point taken, I've been flying a turbo arrow lately.

Still, at maximum allowed power setting (per POH) in one of the "Hershey bar wing" arrows you can cruise right around 150 (high 140s anyway). Keep a close eye on the RPM range, set power to 75% (max cruise) and nurse the prop to get that extra 2-3 kts out of it. All without violating the green arc.

~ Christopher

Still, at maximum allowed power setting (per POH) in one of the "Hershey bar wing" arrows you can cruise right around 150 (high 140s anyway). Keep a close eye on the RPM range, set power to 75% (max cruise) and nurse the prop to get that extra 2-3 kts out of it. All without violating the green arc.
I've got a few hours in a PA28R-200, and there ain't no way to get 150 KTAS on 75% power in level flight -- not even 145. Best I ever saw in 20 hours of flying it from NM to NY and back was right around 135. 150 mph, sure, but not 150 knots.

I've got a few hours in a PA28R-200, and there ain't no way to get 150 KTAS on 75% power in level flight -- not even 145. Best I ever saw in 20 hours of flying it from NM to NY and back was right around 135. 150 mph, sure, but not 150 knots.

...reminds me of someone claiming, insisting, that their C177R was good for 150 knots. Cardinal RG is a great little plane, but 150 knots is a speed seen only in descent.

Umm . . .

Embarrassed look.

Yeah, that airspeed indicator is in MPH, isn't it.

I stand corrected.

*grin*

~ Christopher

Wrong word. How about "Revision" 10.

Could be, the AFM for the serial number in question is Revision 9. Unless the owner got a revision in the mail, the latest rev generally only carries instructions for the newer serial numbers.

Hard to imagine how they missed the "single-mag" startup since 1996 (Revision 1)

Back