Approximate value of late 70s C-172?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
What is your opinion on the approx value of a late 70's C-172N?

3500 TT
1200 SMOH (mid-1990s). Penn-yan 180HP. Climb Prop. (2000 TBO).
All ADs current. No ADs on prop.
Original paint
IFR certified.
no damage history
no corrosion / always hangared / dry climate.
Everything works, but everything is also pretty much -- original (old cessna radios, original transponder, no GPS, etc... you get the point.) Perfectly functional and clean, but not refurbished and remodeled.

edit: If it matters, 1979, older digital radio, 4 place intercom have been added, but not much else.

I know this doesn't give you much to go with, but neither are internet ballpark estimates perfectly accurate either, so I'll take the replies for what they're worth.

Last edited:
What is your opinion on the approx value of a late 70's C-172N?

3500 TT
1200 SMOH (mid-1990s). Penn-yan 180HP
Original paint
IFR certified.
Everything works, but everything is also pretty much -- original (old cessna radios, original transponder, no GPS, etc... you get the point.) Perfectly functional and clean, but not refurbished and remodeled.

I know this doesn't give you much to go with, but neither are internet ballpark estimates perfectly accurate either, so I'll take the replies for what they're worth.
$30k tops if it doesn't have corrosion and is on your field.

Can you even sell an airplane without glass?

I bought a MINT Cessna 1972 172M whit 2600TT and 1100SMOH and gave $30,000 for it. The airplane has original paint and interior but looks like it is 5 years old, very nice. I thought I got a great deal. It lasted 20 hours and had to overhaul the engine though :-(
I would say the N you are looking at would be $35-40 since it has the 180HP. That really brings the value up. The joker that said $20,000 has no clue.....

For what it's worth, VREF on a 1977 model is giving me $43,683.

The aircraft is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

Folks here want a new aircraft given to them, and then they will reduce the value by the engine hours, then complain because it didn't have a WAS capable GPS linked to a multifunction display.

The aircraft is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

Folks here want a new aircraft given to them, and then they will reduce the value by the engine hours, then complain because it didn't have a WAS capable GPS linked to a multifunction display.

This is an ironic statement because there are many things in life I'm willing to pay way more for -- or way less. You justify the expense by the joy it brings, but when it comes time to partake in the transaction you need to make sure the business end makes sense. I'm not here to waste money, either. However i'd like to know an item can move in the market for what I paid for it in a reasonable amount of time. In other words, a fair private party price.

To be honest, I don't care about the GPS. It'll see dirt as much as pavement, and an IPAD seems to work just fine. IFR in a C-172 type aircraft around here is kind of suicide except in a rare case or emergency, anyways. However it does reflect value, which is important.

Last edited:
This is an ironic statement because there are many things in life I'm willing to pay way more for -- or way less. You justify the expense by the joy it brings, but when it comes time to partake in the transaction you need to make sure the business end makes sense. I'm not here to waste money, either. However i'd like to know an item can move in the market for what I paid for it in a reasonable amount of time.

To be honest, I don't care about the GPS. It'll see dirt more as much as pavement, and an IPAD seems to work just fine. IFR in a C-172 type aircraft around here is kind of suicide, anyways. However it does reflect value, which is why I bring it up.

Not just value, but sell ability as well.

This is an ironic statement because there are many things in life I'm willing to pay way more for -- or way less. You justify the expense by the joy it brings, but when it comes time to partake in the transaction you need to make sure the business end makes sense. I'm not here to waste money, either. However i'd like to know an item can move in the market for what I paid for it in a reasonable amount of time. In other words, a fair private party price.

To be honest, I don't care about the GPS. It'll see dirt as much as pavement, and an IPAD seems to work just fine. IFR in a C-172 type aircraft around here is kind of suicide except in a rare case or emergency, anyways. However it does reflect value, which is important.

Give me a good, clean airframe that I can make my own.

Then I will know what I have.

With that engine, a nice airplane. Who flew it those 1200 hours? Good maintence? How often was it flown? With old radios and 1200 hours on the engine since new engine, I'd pay 30 grand . Then if the engine throws a 7 you have 60 grand in it. Some panel improvements 10 grand min. Now your at 70 grand for an old airplane which you will probably take a bath on when you sell it. Not my style but have at it if you must.

>> In-line below

With that engine, a nice airplane. Who flew it those 1200 hours?

>> A military guy with 5,000 hours, a MD, and an AP/IA.

>>Never a flight school/leaseback/etc... I can talk to the guy that bought it new if needed.

Good maintenance?

>> Yes, as far as I can tell records go back decades to a well respected maintenance shop in town.

How often was it flown?

>> 3500TT, 1200 Since new (not overhauled) motor in 1995... the hours seem to be pretty well spread evenly throughout those last 18 years.

With old radios and 1200 hours on the engine since new engine, I'd pay 30 grand .
>> One of the radios is digital, but still old, yes.

Then if the engine throws a 7 you have 60 grand in it.
>> I figured 20k for a rebuild? Too low?

Some panel improvements 10 grand min.
>> Not going to touch the panel unless it breaks, but that's me. A digital transponder would be nice, but with 2020 approaching, you know how that goes.

Now your at 70 grand for an old airplane which you will probably take a bath on when you sell it. Not my style but have at it if you must.

>> Yeah it's a gamble, 800 to go to TBO, but it's an older motor. Checks good with mechanic and oil analysis program, but you never know...

>> Best I can say is it generally wasn't "improved" but was maintained in a good safe flying condition.

Last edited:
That airplane will sell in the range of $27500 to $33000, depending on many things. With a low time engine, one new com, newer transponder, good intercom and $1000 panel or yoke mounted GPS, your looking at $44000 to $56000. This holds true until a buyer pays a lot more, or a seller sells it for less. :)

That airplane will sell in the range of $27500 to $33000, depending on many things. With a low time engine, one new com, newer transponder, good intercom and $1000 panel or yoke mounted GPS, your looking at $44000 to $56000. This holds true until a buyer pays a lot more, or a seller sells it for less. :)

With a 430w it'll bring that with good paint and interior. A good airframe would be worth it to do.

Back