Approved meds - wisdom tooth out.

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I need to have a (single, bottom) wisdom tooth removed and the doc said he plans to sedate me with an IV.

Two questions:

Are there any meds which the doctor might consider using that I should ask him to avoid to keep the FAA happy? Anything that the FAA would jump at for one use of rated to this procedure?

Has anyone had this done with this sort of sedation? How did you feel in the 24 hours afterwards... much nausea? I expect to be grounded for a couple weeks I guess.

Not looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Im not familiar with the specific sedative I was given but it was given via IV. Managed to stay awake a little longer than they were expecting and had to get a second bag. Once I awakened its kinda a general numbness although Im told I was fairly coordinated. I don't remember much of the 2 hours after I woke up. I was never nauseous though. Once it starts to wear off you feel the pain and I became pretty aggravated apparently. So try and be proactive with the painkillers. Milkshakes are good, just use a spoon and not a straw. Oh and your tongue will feel incredibly unusual for a few hours. I only used the Hydros for 2-3 days and I had all 4 teeth out at the same time.

I slept most of the day away on the couch with ice packs on to keep the swelling down.

Nope, never been put out for a wisdom tooth. Other surgeries yes, not that big of a deal, you probably won't really feel like flying for a couple of days anyway.

I've been put out for extractions. It's all a matter to how deep they go digging for the thing. The doc prescribed an antibiotic and just ibuprophen. Neither of which the FAA has any issue with. As soon as you feel up to it, you can fly.

Based on discussions with both the FAA Eastern Region Flight Surgeon and Bruce Chien, general anesthesia means minimum 48 hours on the ground, and more depending on how you feel.

Was given a days worth of Tylenol with codeine. Then ibuprofen. Was ready to fly in about three days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back