Approach overlay on Ipad with Foreflight?

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I'm not talking about georeferenced plates, I'm talking about overlaying an ILS, VOR or NDB approach on the enroute chart on the Ipad with Foreflight, complete with procedure turns and holds like you can do with a 430 or 530.

Is there a convenient way to do this, short creating some complex route by connecting all the waypoints?

Last edited:
Like this (with VFR sectional).

ary7y9uj.jpg

Sent from my overpriced iPad using Tapatalk

Or this?

ame5yvy2.jpg

Or are you talking about the actual waypoints on the chart? I think that is what you are asking, if so, no. I usually try to increase the transparency so I can see them on the chart.

I'm not talking about georeferenced plates, I'm talking about overlaying an ILS, VOR or NDB approach on the enroute chart on the Ipad with Foreflight, complete with procedure turns and holds like you can do with a 430 or 530.

Is there a convenient way to do this, short creating some complex route by connecting all the waypoints?

I would pull the procedure up on an overlay, as shown above, and then use the rubber band feature to drag the route over the fixes on the plate. A lot faster than typing them in.

With FF overlay feature it's easy to add the waypoints via a tap and hold.

Or this?

ame5yvy2.jpg

Yeah, but can that be done with the standard Foreflight or do you need the pro subscription? That is the georeferenced plate feature, right?

You need the pro ,well worth the money.even better when linked to the stratus.

I would pull the procedure up on an overlay, as shown above, and then use the rubber band feature to drag the route over the fixes on the plate. A lot faster than typing them in.

So either way you're still rubber banding together fixes for a route. I played with it a little bit, it's not too bad as long as the procedure is fairly simple.

So either way you're still rubber banding together fixes for a route. I played with it a little bit, it's not too bad as long as the procedure is fairly simple.

Correct. There's no current feature that includes the sequence of fixes in a IAP. I suspect Jep is the only one with that data in a usable format and it's pretty expensive for FF to access it.

That wasn't so bad... Never tried this before.

tu8e5yvu.jpg

That wasn't so bad... Never tried this before.

tu8e5yvu.jpg

Yep, do that all the time. Do a Direct To the destination airport, then rubber band to initial approach fix, the rubber band the intermediate fixes. You now have time and distance to each fix on the approach to backup your regular navigation device. It's really a brilliantly conceived feature in FF.

Back