Approach Acronym?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I think this may have been asked before, but I wonder what you guys use by way of acronyms to prepare and fly an approach?

A - ATIS, AWOS, ASOS

M - Marker Beacon
I - Identify (correct plate, correct frequencies, alternate minimums, equipment requirements)
C - Course (Final Course selected on Localizer)
E - Entry (Course Reversal, Hold in lieu of, Entry into hold)

A - Altitudes (MSA, Inbound, Stepdowns, MDA, TDZE)
T - Time (if applicable)
M - Missed (Published or ATC Instructions)

Kent provided one at the start of this thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7052
Position - Where am I, and what's happening next? Kick-start situational awareness.
ATIS(/AWOS/whatever weather)
Instruments - set altimeter, set DG to compass
Nav radios - Set up everything possible. Nav1, Nav2, GPS, DME, ADF.
Com radios - Ready tower/CTAF in com1 standby or com2
Approach briefing - Altitudes, headings, everything else on the plate.
Landing checklist - GUMPSS
Listen for your approach clearance.

and there's another in http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12627

kent is the acronym king, you should fly ifr with him, hes got an acronym for everything. i just use 5 Ts

I never got the whole acronym thing when it comes to preparing for an approach. My "system" is simply to brief the approach plate--everything you need is right there on the plate, in a logical order, so just start at the top, make sure you have the right plate, and work your way down. As you do, set up the avionics and prep your strategy.

No acronym needed.

But, I realize opinions vary widely on this topic.

My acronym: "DO EVERYTHING RIGHT."

Can't yet figure out what each letter stands for, but it works ok.

I don't normally like acrynoyms (they are harder for me to remember what the letters represent than just doing the tasks in some sort of flow-based protocol), but when briefing an approach my favorite acronym is the easy-to-remember A-P-P-R-O-A-C-H

I don't have time now to locate the document I have that describes it, or to type it all out (have to get out the door for work), but maybe somebody else here has the info. It's an approach briefing format.

If I recall, it's A = Airport (correct approach plate, revision dates, runway, etc.), P = review Profile view, P = review Plan view, R = Radios, O = Obstacles (MSA, towers, hills, etc.), A = Altitudes (initial, step downs, MDA/MA), C = Course (final approach), H = missed and Holding instructions

I think this may have been asked before, but I wonder what you guys use by way of acronyms to prepare and fly an approach?
My $.02

I use this one for every instance of flying

DUUATS

Don't
Use
Useless
Acronyms
They
Suck

Or MAPS

Mnemonics
Are
Pretty
Stupid

I got that way after some CFI tried to tell me some 14 character (or something like that) mnemonic for remembering all the required equipment for VFR and IFR flight. By the time you had the mnemonic remembered you also had the all the equipment memorized an no longer needed the mnemonic.

Instead focus on the procedures that you want to do and remember those items. Get in a good habit of briefing you approach the same way from the approach plate, use work trick such as the audio panel to double check all the radios are tuned.

My $.02

I use this one for every instance of flying

DUUATS

Don't
Use
Useless
Acronyms
They
Suck

Or MAPS

Mnemonics
Are
Pretty
Stupid

I got that way after some CFI tried to tell me some 14 character (or something like that) mnemonic for remembering all the required equipment for VFR and IFR flight.

TOMATO FLAMES!!! :D :D :D

You're right, that one is particularly useless because you can just look it up in the FAR/AIM. However, many in-flight ones work very well.

By the time you had the mnemonic remembered you also had the all the equipment memorized an no longer needed the mnemonic.

Well I guess it worked then. :rofl:

If I recall, it's A = Airport (correct approach plate, revision dates, runway, etc.), P = review Profile view, P = review Plan view, R = Radios, O = Obstacles (MSA, towers, hills, etc.), A = Altitudes (initial, step downs, MDA/MA), C = Course (final approach), H = missed and Holding instructions

Hmmm. That's an interesting one Troy... It makes sure you get all the pieces on the plate.

Now if I could just get it memorized, I'd have a three-way acronym!

P
A
I
N-TITS
C
APPROACH
L
L

:D

TOMATO FLAMES!!! :D :D :D

You're right, that one is particularly useless because you can just look it up in the FAR/AIM. However, many in-flight ones work very well.
Not only that, it leaves you with a false sense of what is required.

Tell me, is the stall warning horn required?

Exactly. And Tomota A Flames (or however one would like to spell it) didn't/couldn't answer the question.

TOMATO FLAMES!!!
Yeah that is the one

yep

Well I guess it worked then. :rofl:
Nope. The time wasted remembering the acronym could have been used to just memorize the list. Beside the whole idea of using the acronym is to avoid memorizing the list.

My spelling sucks, so acronyms are out for me. So, I use the plate. I brief from top to bottom. Then use the audio console to make sure all that expensive equipment is working for me. I tune everything. In the training environment it's not always practical to tune everything because the approaches come up faster than I can spin the knobs. For that, I fallback to my minimum, brief and tune from the approach plate.

I didn't answer your question, did I ? Bummer... my apologies.

I used to use pain call, but now usually just brief the plate. I did like the fact that the acronym was a kind of checklist, but now i just remember to brief the approach as soon as possible, and have everything setup by the time i fly it. the exception, of course, is identifying some navaids like locs until i can pick them up.

If you use Jepps, just go across the briefing strip and it's done for you. If you're using NACO...I dunno, use Jepps :). Just don't forget to brief the runway (length and turnoff) and the lights you expect to see when you break out (or what you're looking for to descend that extra 100 feet).

My favorite pre-approach acronym is:

D O N T D I E

So far, so good. :D

If you use Jepps, just go across the briefing strip and it's done for you. If you're using NACO...I dunno, use Jepps :). Just don't forget to brief the runway (length and turnoff) and the lights you expect to see when you break out (or what you're looking for to descend that extra 100 feet).

Actually, the VOLPE format on all the NACO plates now works just like the Jepp briefing strip. About the only thing that isn't on the NACO plates that IS on the Jepps is the nonstandard takeoff and alternate minimums, which you have to look up elsewhere.

With either chart format, I just work through the chart, starting at the top left, going from left to right, and top to bottom, and I've covered everything I need for the approach. Still have the normal airplane checks, but there's a short approach and landing checklist that covers that stuff.

Actually, the VOLPE format on all the NACO plates now works just like the Jepp briefing strip. About the only thing that isn't on the NACO plates that IS on the Jepps is the nonstandard takeoff and alternate minimums, which you have to look up elsewhere.

With either chart format, I just work through the chart, starting at the top left, going from left to right, and top to bottom, and I've covered everything I need for the approach. Still have the normal airplane checks, but there's a short approach and landing checklist that covers that stuff.
The addition I would make is to look at the airport layout - which is not on the Jepp approaches. I really like the Jepp format and detail, with that one exception. And my CFII harped on the 5 t's, which are a little different than the King t's. His order was Turn, Time, Twist (or Tune), Throttle, Talk. Every heading change, you go through the list and consider if you need to take action on any of the 5 items.

Anyone ever use the audio panel? Just read accross it. Com 1/2 , tuned to the right freqs, nav1,2, marker beacons, all are up on there.

I use AMARTHAN (have an aunt named Martha which is helpful), then I go through the plate, then I go through the panel. It's best to start the process as early as possible.;)

Compulsive? I guess ....

Back