Apple Updates iMac, Mac Pro

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Nick,

Where did you buy your iMac? Are you still within the return window? Apple just updated their iMacs and Mac Pros, and have slashed the prices on refurb units!

Check out the headline deals here:

http://dealmac.com/

No, I'm not within the return window, and that's a bit irritating, to say the least. I'm approximately 3.5 weeks into having a Mac, I believe (without looking at the calendar).

Thanks for letting me know tho.

No, I'm not within the return window, and that's a bit irritating, to say the least. I'm approximately 3.5 weeks into having a Mac, I believe (without looking at the calendar).

Thanks for letting me know tho.

2.5 weeks, isn't it? Call them up, usually they do have a window for a rebate for those who bought just before an update, though I don't know if it's quite that long. :dunno:

Nick the number is 1-800-MY-APPLE.

I am probably buying next month.

The one thing I still cannot get an answer on is if I will be able to make the King GPS loader program work with the MAC, even if the MAC is running windows via parallels. If it does not work I will have to keep a PC around to update the db in my KLN90B

The one thing I still cannot get an answer on is if I will be able to make the King GPS loader program work with the MAC, even if the MAC is running windows via parallels. If it does not work I will have to keep a PC around to update the db in my KLN90B

What kind of interface does your GPS card programmer use - If USB, chances are pretty good. If not, not so good. Get in contact with the Parallels folks, they might have a better idea.

If Parallels doesn't work, however, just use Boot Camp and boot into Windows. At that point, your Mac is no different than any other Windows pc (except it looks cooler. LOL) Reboots are a pain, but probably better than keeping a separate PC around just for GPS updates.

What kind of interface does your GPS card programmer use - If USB, chances are pretty good. If not, not so good. Get in contact with the Parallels folks, they might have a better idea.

If Parallels doesn't work, however, just use Boot Camp and boot into Windows. At that point, your Mac is no different than any other Windows pc (except it looks cooler. LOL) Reboots are a pain, but probably better than keeping a separate PC around just for GPS updates.
it uses the old serial port. There is a driver in the software for a Xircom USB to serial driver.

All I find from King is this:
What is a user has an Apple computer with DOS/Windows emulation software. Will that work?

The DOS-based netload software will only work with true PC-compatible computers. The Windows-compatible GPS Database Loader program may run with some Apple Windows emulation software. However, we cannot support Apple installations.

Last edited:
it uses the old serial port. There is a driver in the software for a Xircom USB to serial driver.

All I find from King is this:
What is a user has an Apple computer with DOS/Windows emulation software. Will that work?

The DOS-based netload software will only work with true PC-compatible computers. The Windows-compatible GPS Database Loader program may run with some Apple Windows emulation software. However, we cannot support Apple installations.

Use a USB/Serial adapter. I got one from NewEgg but the Keyspan is highly regarded.

Do I know it works transparently with Windows in a Parallels VM? Not yet.

I want mine to download from my JPI EDM-900 and THAT runs from DOS. :yikes:

Last edited:
Use a USB/Serial adapter. I got one from NewEgg but the Keyspan is highly regarded.
a
Do I know it works transparently with Windows in a Parallels VM? Not yet.

I want mine to download from my JPI EDM-900 and THAT runs from DOS. :yikes:
I was thinking of trying that. If it does not work, oh well, I'll keep a PC around for that one function.

2.5 weeks, isn't it? Call them up, usually they do have a window for a rebate for those who bought just before an update, though I don't know if it's quite that long. :dunno:

Yeah, I was surprised to find Apple's "official" return (and price drop policy) is 14-days. I thought it was 30. There is a different number for the price match refund. Might be worth a shot for a few minutes of groveling. Maybe you can swing Applecare out of 'em or an iLife 09 upgrade or something...

Apple Store said:
Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change.

I'll have to say we Mac weenies failed you by not pointing you to the rumor and upgrade cycle sites during your Sell Me a Mac thread. Gotta check those first and it totally slipped my mind. I figured you would buy the Dull. :smile:

Back