Apollo Panel, Any Thoughts?

Guitarcrazy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Guitarcrazy
http://www.tropicaero.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=apollo_stack

Anyone have any experience with this equipment? I believe most of it has been redone with the Garmin name. Is there any reason to stay away from Apollo? I want to get a GNS 430 or better, but this entire stack is only about 9K more than just the 430, and it will replace virtually everything in my 64 Mooney. Any negatives? Thanks. J

The GX60 is discontinued. Not sure about the rest. But it looks like Tropi Earo is trying to reduce stock. Nothing wrong with that. Apollo equipment is ok, I have heard it is less intuitive to use when compared to the newer Garmin stuff.

The GX60 / MX20 combo is a thoroughly-competent setup. This looks to me like a fine value. Is it sold with full mfg warranty? If so, I say go for it!

Jason,

I have a GX60 in my plane. I like it, but then again, I came from rentals that never had GPS, so for me it was a step up to get an IFR panel GPS. I can't speak for the GX60's "intuitiveness" vs. a 430, as I've not used the 430, but spending some time with the downloadable simulator will help get you used to it. It helped me figure out IFR approaches, and I have friends who are still confused about them on their 430's. Depends on the amount of practice, I guess...

Also, support doesn't appear to be a problem. A few months ago, I was flying a friend around, happily yakking on the GX60, and when we landed and pulled off the runway, the screen was black! I said, hey did you turn it off. Nope. I called the Garmin AT support line, discussed it with them, sent it back and in about 10 days it was repaired, upgraded w/all the latest mods and they even sent a 4MB data card (previously I had a 2MB with it) all for 400 clams. Not a bad deal.

On Garmin's panel mount page, the SL70 transponder is listed as discontinued as well. Not sure about the SL15, but that was really a rebranded panel from one of the well-known mfrs. (PS maybe?).

Do you have any radios that can be re-used? One might make the argument that a used GNS530 could give you "mostly similar" functionality to a GX60+SL30+MX20 (i.e. GPS/nav/com+pretty big screen).

-Rich

Guitarcrazy said:
http://www.tropicaero.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=apollo_stack

Anyone have any experience with this equipment? I believe most of it has been redone with the Garmin name. Is there any reason to stay away from Apollo? I want to get a GNS 430 or better, but this entire stack is only about 9K more than just the 430, and it will replace virtually everything in my 64 Mooney. Any negatives? Thanks. J

The GX60 vs. G430: 430 has a Nav radio, GX60 does not IIRC. Nice to have the MFD, but the screen on the GX60 (orange and black, very low res) doesn't even come close to the 430's full-color screen. I've never used the MFD. I think the 430 has a lot more functionality than the 60 in general. I also agree that the GX series is harder to use than Garmin, though both have a learning curve. I bet Garmin would have better value if you ever sell your plane as well.

Of course, it's your plane, so you can do whatever you want with it! :yes: That is an awful lot of stuff.

flyingcheesehead said:
The GX60 vs. G430: 430 has a Nav radio, GX60 does not IIRC. Nice to have the MFD, but the screen on the GX60 (orange and black, very low res) doesn't even come close to the 430's full-color screen. I've never used the MFD. I think the 430 has a lot more functionality than the 60 in general. I also agree that the GX series is harder to use than Garmin, though both have a learning curve. I bet Garmin would have better value if you ever sell your plane as well.

Of course, it's your plane, so you can do whatever you want with it! :yes: That is an awful lot of stuff.

But they are coupling the GX60 with the MX20 display which makes up for the lack of features in the 60.

smigaldi said:
But they are coupling the GX60 with the MX20 display which makes up for the lack of features in the 60.

I'm not necessarily talking display features... If you go digging around there's a lot of functions (ie winds aloft calculator, stuff like that) there too that the MFD won't make up for to my knowledge.

Back