AOPA sweeps

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
They've done it again... First the Commander 112 instead of 114, and now a Cherokee Six - 260 instead of a 300. :(

If I won the Commander (I won't, don't own a plane yet :rolleyes:) I'd sell it. However, the Six might be worth keeping... Or maybe selling to my club to make it cheaper. :D

flyingcheesehead said:
They've done it again... First the Commander 112 instead of 114, and now a Cherokee Six - 260 instead of a 300. :(

If I won the Commander (I won't, don't own a plane yet :rolleyes:) I'd sell it. However, the Six might be worth keeping... Or maybe selling to my club to make it cheaper. :D

I think the Six - 260 is just fine. I don't think there's much difference in the performance of the 260 vs. 300 and I think the engine has more longevity at 260 HP than 300 HP.

I think the 6-260 is a fine choice for the sweeps. Nice plane, pretty simple, parts readily available. Probably can be insured for an almost reasonable sum, though I think 6-place planes do carry a significant premium bump over 4-place, and some carriers might require an instrument rating for it (or to make it reasonably affordable). The 260's advantage will be the lower fuel burn. Downside is the CG envelope is a bit "different" than normal. I usually see folks with Cherokee 6's carrying bags of sand or lead shot in the back to compensate for the forward CG with only 2 up front.

Jeff

so if they are starting over, i guess it probably won't be ready for pick up when I win the drawing in Feb. :D

flyingcheesehead said:
Jeez, another #&*$# airplane. How come they never give away helicopters? :mad:

Just kiddin' folks ;)

Back