AOPA Summit 2010

Discussion in 'AOPA Open House' started by gprellwitz, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gprellwitz

gprellwitz Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Is anyone here planning to go to the AOPA Summit in Long Beach November 11 - 13, 2010? Leslie and I are thinking of heading over there. http://www.aopa.org/summit/

2. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    My airplane partner Lennie said he's getting flown there to work for one of the vendors. I'll tell him to be on the lookout for you guys.

3. flygirl34q

flygirl34q Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    -
    Grant... I'd be interested in hearing about your flight planning getting out there. I have always wanted to do a flight out West, but then take a look at all the lumpy terrain and change my mind. :(

4. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    At this stage it's quite possible we'll go commercial, but I'm planning the flight anyway, because we may fly it ourselves, or I may and Leslie will join me commercial. I've done a little flying in the mountains, so I'm not frightened of it, but I am respectful. One of our early trips was from Chicago to Yellowstone and up to northern Montana. We planned it in a 172, watching for passes and the like, but ended up doing it in a 310, and all our careful planning really wasn't used. I'll probably fly VFR through the mountains, but the airways generally give a pretty good routing. My main concern that time of the year will be icing.

5. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Two very different trips. One, flown commercially, a visit to the AOPA Summit. The other, a flying adventure with the AOPA Summit as a stop.

6. flygirl34q

Display Name:

Display name:
    -
    Definitely, I would take the 2nd option! Although, the dinner reception/cruise on the Queen Mary Saturday night would be something I would totally be on board for. I have just the dress and shoes for the occasion! :)

7. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    The other difference is cost. Round trip commercial is under $300 per person. Round trip in the 210 is over $3,000 for the plane (call it $1500 per person). On the other hand, the experience is priceless!:thumbsup:

8. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Yup. Very different trips for very different purposes. Choose wisely.

9. flygirl34q

Display Name:

Display name:
    -

Awww... Grant. Ugggh. You are just like my husband! Always bringing up money. I swear that the first thing he thinks about is "How much is this gonna cost!" Must be a man thing. :(

So... you are taking the 210, right?? :)

10. sba55

sba55 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    sba55
    It's really not a big deal at all wx-wise. Since you're going to SoCal, you can take the southern route (through New Mexico), and the potential for icing is probably going to be manageable in November. It's a great flight and can quite easily be done from 9-6pm. I would be much more worried about icing than the terrain.

11. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Well, we're definitely going. However, the 210 we'd want to take is going to be on a long trip, so we're going commercial. Hopefully we'll meet up with Lennie and anyone else who's going to be there.

12. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    I'm leaving tomorrow evening for Long Beach on Jet Blue. Leslie won't be joining me until Thursday. Anyone in the area want to get together for a late dinner or adult beverage Wednesday night? I get in around 8:30 Wednesday.

We're not leaving until Monday, and we'll both be available Thursday and Sunday evenings to get together if anyone's available.

13. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Yes. Icing. Even on the plains right now.

Go south from Denver (or even more east) to ABQ then across.

14. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning

Why? That's the nice thing about flying, it makes getting over the lumpy terrain easy.

Looks like I'll be there.

15. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Well, tomorrow is the last day. Leslie and I are planning to spend it at the airport at AirportFest, including the breakfast and BBQ dinner. Haven't met up with any other PoAers yet, but have made some other friends! :) Martha and John King were two of the speakers at the Airport Support Network meeting, which was kind of neat. They talked about their experiences in Santa Barbara and what the ASN Volunteers can do to help (think: educate law enforcement).

16. flygirl34q

Display Name:

Display name:
    -
    Wooo hooo, Grant... posting at almost 2:30 AM from the AOPA Summit?? You and Leslie must be having fun! :) I hope you took lots of photos so we'll all be jealous when you get back!

17. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    I was impressed with the AOPA Live coverage streaming on the web yesterday. Very nice.

18. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    I was generally favourably impressed with the event. Somewhat regional in attendance. I'd estimate 70-80% from the SW and the west coast. The static displays at AirportFest were underwhelming, but since my standard of reference is AirVenture, that's not too surprising. And it may have been soured by the pancake breakfast, which ran into some formidable problems. So much so that we abandoned $60 worth of dinner tickets because it was being done by the same group and there were no refunds. Since AOPA covered my attendance costs, I figure that I'm still ahead, but...

It was nice having the Kings speak at the AOPA ASN meeting. Now I need to figure out the best way to bring their message and techniques for doing "airplane stops" to the local police departments.

Made some new friends at the conference, and missed meeting up with others.

Joyce Wilson signed up for an account on a new pilot social media site and consequently won a new iPod. Unfortunately, it was one of those things where you needed to be present to win, so she lost! :dunno: I don't know if she signed up on site or if they included everyone who signed up so far in their pool. One of my new friends was another of the names called, but he wasn't there either, though he had been only 2 hours earlier! I do know that they went through a LOT of names before they got to one who was present!

Next year is in Connecticut in September. Hope to meet up with a lot of the New Englanders there!

We went to Rod Rakic's tweetup at AOPA Live, and are looking forward to watching that. He had Greg Brown, Max Trescott, Linda Meeks, and Mossie as guests, and Tiffany Wolf (The PilotCast), Monika Petrillo (FlyAbout), and Luca (UCAP's European correspondent :)) were all in the audience with us.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  19. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    That would be Tiffany Wolf. ;)

AOPA is very small compared to Airventure - I mean, there really isn't even a comparison. But, that means you can get more face time with vendors because they're not so busy.

Speaking of which, How'd the ForeFlight booth look? Were they super-busy with just 2 guys, or was that enough? They/we got swamped at Airventure - Which is why "they" became "we." :rofl:

I did enjoy AOPA 07 in Hartford, and I wish I could have gone this year, but that's an awful long way to go for a short/small show.

20. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    I know that. Apparently, my fingers do not. Believe me, Tiffany does not look like this: Tiffany Wells, Drag Queen.
    They were not swamped at all. In fact, I don't think anyone was, except maybe the aforementioned Flyr booth at the time of the drawing. Spoke to Jason Miller, and he said that he appreciated the help you gave at OSH. This is of course, not the Jason Miller with whom Rod Rakic just flew to Silicon Valley!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  21. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Thankfully, no! :vomit: You might want to mark that as NSFW...

Ah yes, the eternal Jason Miller confusion. There's Jason Miller the podcaster (The Finer Points), and Jason Miller the ForeFlight guy. Apparently when they first met in person, one of them said, "Well, I guess I'll just have to go by Jason ANDREW Miller." And the other said, "YGBFSM." Yes, they both have the same middle name as well.

So at OSH, podcaster Jason was wearing a name tag that said "TO-JAM" on it. Y'know... The Other Jason Andrew Miller. :rofl:

22. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    At least it was impressive if you weren't there.