AOPA Renewal??

For heaven's sake, don't slam the AOPA for using General Aviation airplanes to travel about the country.
What AOPA is demonstrating is exactly what the critics see: Fat cats wasting money unnecessarily on luxury transportation.

There is a reason that Warren Buffet named his jet "The Indefensible." And Warren Buffet's time is a helluva lot more valuable than the time of a few guys running a small-potatoes association of pilots. And unlike AOPA's jet, Buffet's jet isn't even close to being a noticeable percentage of the organization's revenue.

At least they went to OSH for 3 days.
And Palm Springs for a few days, Glacier Park for a few days, Napa for a few days ...

How measured? All costs considered including seat-miles, schedules, etc? Were any expense budgets a part of this conclusion?
Not sure what your point is here. I don't need precision measuring equipment to know that caviar costs more than hamburger.

But the money wasted on The Jet is not the point here. It is just a symptom, left over from Boyer's days in fact. What Fuller has done is make a bad situation worse -- more waste, more greed, and now this idiotic competitive attack on GA vendors. Yeah, AOPA is a voice in Washington but that doesn't mean that members should turn a blind eye to how it is run.

This is not Craig Fullers' organization, it is ours, and he is our employee.
Legally, yes. As a practical matter, pigs will fly before members are given a say in AOPA's governance. But that is another thread.

Been an AOPA member since 1991. Just re-upped. I don't bother with the magazine, so dues are only $25 a year.

I guess its a small price to pay for a thank you, considering their web board is where I met my spouse 13 years ago.

In that case, shouldn't they be paying you?:D
Been an AOPA member since 1991. Just re-upped. I don't bother with the magazine, so dues are only $25 a year.

I guess its a small price to pay for a thank you, considering their web board is where I met my spouse 13 years ago.

If DC is full of these anti-GA publicity-seeking people, you should have no problem naming them.

Barack Obama, President of United States.

Sen. John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV (D-WV), chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee.

Just to name two of many.

First, I count only the Administration as proposing user fees; and that is a flat $100/flight,

That will kill my 30 year old ownership club, and most of the rest of non-jet private aviation in the United States.

Anyone who thinks GA could survive in the US with a $100/flight user fee is well, ..... beyond help.

Sen. John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV (D-WV), chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee.

That will kill my 30 year old ownership club, and most of the rest of non-jet private aviation in the United States.

Anyone who thinks GA could survive in the US with a $100/flight user fee is well, ..... beyond help.

The fun stuff would do just fine. Folks needing their hands held by ATC, well they don't deserve to fly anyway:rofl:

If you fly VFR and not talk to ATC then you pay NO fee..:no:.

If you want to file IFR and it is a 5 hour flight then 20 bucks an hour will not be a huge deterent.. You cannot play golf for 20 bucks an hour,,, but you probably pay it anyway.... You cannot ski at most of the larger ski hills for less then 20 an hour,,, but you probably pay it anyway.

I can go on and on with examples but the bottom line is, ALOT of the money we have paid into the aviation trust fund through fuel taxes have been wasted on other "pet" projects the feds seem to create daily... Same as Social Security, they get all the working, legal people to pay into it, and then they hand it out to all the illegal aliens who have never paid a DIME into the system..:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:...

And it ain't gonna end anytime soon either..:no::sad:

IMHO.

Don't play much golf, eh, Ben?

If you want to file IFR and it is a 5 hour flight then 20 bucks an hour will not be a huge deterent.. You cannot play golf for 20 bucks an hour,,, but you probably pay it anyway.... You cannot ski at most of the larger ski hills for less then 20 an hour,,, but you probably pay it anyway.

I can go on and on with examples but the bottom line is, ALOT of the money we have paid into the aviation trust fund through fuel taxes have been wasted on other "pet" projects the feds seem to create daily... Same as Social Security, they get all the working, legal people to pay into it, and then they hand it out to all the illegal aliens who have never paid a DIME into the system..:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:...

IMHO.

IMHO.

What if I fly many short segments a day (which I often do), say about 1.5 hours per segment average over the year. Come on man, we're sitting around arguing over $25-45 dollars a year for AOPA to fight this and you're telling me I shouldn't mind another $15-20K more a year to fly a piston single!

People on this site can be so myopic.

They run from 28 to 35 all around the metroplex. Maybe you should relocate. And that includes range balls, cart and lunch.

NOPE... not when the green fees are 300 dollars a round.... They price it for all the rich , retired guvmint workers.:yes::eek::redface:

.... Maybe you should relocate. .....

No #ucking way I am leaving paradise to live in a rat race with other people who get off at sitting and waiting for the red light to change to green..:goofy::no:

What AOPA is demonstrating is exactly what the critics see: Fat cats wasting money unnecessarily on luxury transportation.

There is a reason that Warren Buffet named his jet "The Indefensible." And Warren Buffet's time is a helluva lot more valuable than the time of a few guys running a small-potatoes association of pilots. And unlike AOPA's jet, Buffet's jet isn't even close to being a noticeable percentage of the organization's revenue.

And Palm Springs for a few days, Glacier Park for a few days, Napa for a few days ...

Not sure what your point is here. I don't need precision measuring equipment to know that caviar costs more than hamburger.

But the money wasted on The Jet is not the point here. It is just a symptom, left over from Boyer's days in fact. What Fuller has done is make a bad situation worse -- more waste, more greed, and now this idiotic competitive attack on GA vendors. Yeah, AOPA is a voice in Washington but that doesn't mean that members should turn a blind eye to how it is run.

Legally, yes. As a practical matter, pigs will fly before members are given a say in AOPA's governance. But that is another thread.

The trip to Glacier Park was to speak to the city council about accepting AIP funding for S27 to improve and insure its long term existence. There's a local nut job trying to close it down and making insane claims (like saying the methane from the nearby treatment plants causes plan engines to stall and warning about the inevitable conga line of 747s and SR71s landing at a 4200' GA strip) He's lost his close it battle but is still screaming about the AIP improvement project.

Given their history of turning their back on local issues, I was both surprised and happy they showed up, a local AOPA rep got Fuller to show up.

Back