AOPA Refuses to quote insurance due to age

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I began looking around for another insurance carrier and asked AOPA for a liability quote. They replied that because I had a prop strike 3-years ago and BECAUSE OF MY AGE (82) they won't quote me.

The next email on my incoming this morning was also from AOPA asking for money. Don't hold your breath, AOPA and goodby when my 'membership' expires.

Try falcon insurance. Ask to talk to Parker woodruff in the Florida office.

AOPA is just a broker, it's the underwriters decision if they'll cover you or not. Don't shoot the messenger.

AOPA is just a broker, it's the underwriters decision if they'll cover you or not. Don't shoot the messenger.

No reason not to shoot the messenger. AOPA uses their position to try to convince people to buy "their" insurance over someone else's. Given their position within GA, they should choose an underwriter who is going to keep their membership happy.

Years ago when I was looking around at insurance, AOPA/Avemco basically told me no way would I get insured in a twin of any sort until 500+ hours, but I also needed multi time that they wouldn't insure me for. Shopped around and got better rates and better service, and no problems with 225 TT.

No reason not to shoot the messenger. AOPA uses their position to try to convince people to buy "their" insurance over someone else's. Given their position within GA, they should choose an underwriter who is going to keep their membership happy.

Years ago when I was looking around at insurance, AOPA/Avemco basically told me no way would I get insured in a twin of any sort until 500+ hours, but I also needed multi time that they wouldn't insure me for. Shopped around and got better rates and better service, and no problems with 225 TT.

AOPA took me when nobody else would. Well, I had a couple of other quotes and few rejections, the quotes I had should have just been rejections. They were over double AOPA's quote.

AOPA took me when nobody else would. Well, I had a couple of other quotes and few rejections, the quotes I had should have just been rejections. They were over double AOPA's quote.

So they've made you happy and others unhappy. Sounds right.

I still won't call them. ;)

You don't have to blame AOPA for that. That was entirely AVEMCO. There was no underwriting or other special relationship between AOPA/AVEMCO except for AVEMCO shoveling piles of cash to AOPA for advertising.

You don't have to blame AOPA for that. That was entirely AVEMCO. There was no underwriting or other special relationship between AOPA/AVEMCO except for AVEMCO shoveling piles of cash to AOPA for advertising.

When you allow your name to be put on something, you're signing up to take credit and blame, or at least a portion of it. Don't like that possibility, don't sign your name.

When you allow your name to be put on something, you're signing up to take credit and blame, or at least a portion of it. Don't like that possibility, don't sign your name.

Yeah, that's my point. AOPA's name was never on it, never endorsed it, they only sold ad pages. This I know for fact, as it was my job to create the illusion.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my point. AOPA's name was never on it, never endorsed it, they only sold ad pages. This I know for fact, as it was my job to create the illusion.

Then you did a good job of creating the illusion. :)

I have had nothing to do with AOPA for many years. They are a sterling example of the tenet Robert Pirsig postulated in his "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" that any organization, once formed, makes self-preservation paramount to any other activity. Like the NRA, they seem to inundate you with pleas and dire threats just to shake out a coin or two.

I have had nothing to do with AOPA for many years. They are a sterling example of the tenet Robert Pirsig postulated in his "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" that any organization, once formed, makes self-preservation paramount to any other activity. Like the NRA, they seem to inundate you with pleas and dire threats just to shake out a coin or two.

I can't say that I've ever felt threatened by AOPA or the NRA, but at least the NRA appears to be a visible and active advocate for its members. AOPA has, in my opinion, become way too complacent on the regulatory front, and demonstrated a repeated incompetence when responding to my medical and regulatory questions over the years.

With that being said, my experience with insurance agencies is that they're eager for new business, but then slowly forget that you're a customer. If you're my agent and I have to track you down and beg for a renewal quote, there's something wrong, and I have to wonder how much effort is expended in shopping the market on renewals.

JKG

I think several companies use age as a discriminating factor for airplane insurance. When I bought my Citation in 1999 I had a couple of "babysitters" hired to fly with me until I got my 50 hours. One was in his early (?) 70's and they would not endorse him to fly single pilot, he had 20,000+ hours and about 3000 since his retirement in Citations, but they said at his age it was a no go.:dunno: But, they let my then, 35 year old 1700 hour private pilot butt fly it single pilot with no issues.:dunno::D

Aviation Consumer had a pretty good article about age and insurance this month. 70 on is a problem under certain circumstances. It isn't sudden incapacitation the underwriters are worried about, it is gradual loss of ability/alertness. So retractible gear is a problem, infrequent training, etc. Also, insuring with a new company as opposed to renewing with someone you have been on with for some time. 72, and with Avemco for 15 years, I won't even ask for a quote from anyone else. (The last few times I did, there was no benefit to changing anyway.)

Try falcon insurance. Ask to talk to Parker woodruff in the Florida office.

+1 for working with Parker. Good guy to work with and more than willing to take time to understand your needs and explain what he can do for you and how the insurance game works.

Back