AOPA Protection

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
Can anyone comment on the AOPA Protection plan? Does it speed up the turn around time that the FAA gets back to you?

Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the AOPA Protection plan? Does it speed up the turn around time that the FAA gets back to you?

Thanks.

Not that I am aware of.

What will accomplish a speedy turn-around of your medical submission is
  1. A well prepared airman who has his stuff wired, knows about all applicable medical conditions and medications, obtains all the required documentation for these conditions/meds. Included this is a plainly worded status letter from the primary doctor(s) that covers the required "bullet" points.
  2. A well prepared and organized file for the conditions/medications (one section per condition, for example). The better the submission of your file, then the "lower level" folk can do the review. Poorly put together submissions go from the top of their pile to the bottom of the much larger pile for the already over worked "top level" doctors.
  3. An AME who is truely an airman's advocate and not one who does AME-ing as a side job. This is usually a doctor who is a pilot themselves, has OKC on button #1 of the speed dial, knows BY NAME the right doctor to ask for to discuss your case, has already submitted the file in advance, and knows how to ask for permission to get telephonic approval.

#3 are rare animals. And when you find one, do all you can to keep him.

Last edited:
I really wish I had a better AME I've been going back and forth with the FAA since July hopefully this is the last submission I have to send to get my medical.

I really wish I had a better AME I've been going back and forth with the FAA since July hopefully this is the last submission I have to send to get my medical.

Getting to Peoria can be a PITA, but those that have made the journey say it was well worth it.

The reference to Peoria involves Dr. Bruce Chien, a nationally-known AME who specializes in difficult airman medical certifications and lives in Peoria IL. See http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/ for contact information.

Well I think I am pretty much close to closing my case. They just asked for personal statements. At this point I don't know what they could ask for. Every test has turned out fine. I just can't wait to get this over with. It's a real bummer to just be stuck pre-solo for this long...

At the risk of necroposting, I'm curious if anyone has had success using the AOPA program? I have a student who opted to use their services, but is getting very frustrated by their unresponsiveness. Materials supposedly faxed to OKC two weeks ago aren't there, at least according to the OKC people. And she can't get a callback from her rep at AOPA to update her on the status. She's incredibly frustrated.

I'm curious if anyone has had a more positive result.

At the risk of necroposting, I'm curious if anyone has had success using the AOPA program? I have a student who opted to use their services, but is getting very frustrated by their unresponsiveness. Materials supposedly faxed to OKC two weeks ago aren't there, at least according to the OKC people. And she can't get a callback from her rep at AOPA to update her on the status. She's incredibly frustrated.

I'm curious if anyone has had a more positive result.

Loren,
PM me the student's name and AOPA number or contact info and I will have someone follow up with her.

Loren,
PM me the student's name and AOPA number or contact info and I will have someone follow up with her.

Just a quick public "Thanks" to Tom for helping my student resolve her connection issue. Things are moving forward....with the biggest bottleneck being the FAA's OKC offices.

I've been a member of AOPA since 1978 and have always appreciated all they do for general aviation. The fact that they monitor this board and act to deal with issues that arise is a credit to their organization.

-Loren

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back