AOPA pin

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Since the past discussion of "how long on what board" (which I can't find now) ... got a small package from AOPA yesterday. A "Thanks for your support" and a pin - 10 years of membership. Time flies and so do we! :)

I got one five years ago. Still have it.

:cheerswine: Greg.

I got my five year pin a couple years ago, but Leslie hasn't received her five or ten year pin! Need to call Member Services! :)

got my 30 year pin a few years ago, but I'm just bragging.

Since the past discussion of "how long on what board" (which I can't find now) ... got a small package from AOPA yesterday. A "Thanks for your support" and a pin - 10 years of membership. Time flies and so do we! :)

Coming up on 15 and have never seen a pin except the one when I first joined.

I wonder how they handle "re-starts" like me. I thought it was nice of them to put "Member since 1991" on my membership card when I started flying again, but it's not really accurate if you count the number of years I actually paid... :)

Continuous member since 1980, not sure it was worth the money?:dunno: But I do have the 30 year pin.:thumbsup: Trinkets for the troops!:goofy::idea:

Continuous member since 1980, not sure it was worth the money?:dunno:

Most of us would not be on POA if it wasn't for AOPA. I have been a member of AOPA since 1994 and I still support the organization. AOPA and EAA are the only supporters of GA, so why not belong if you fly little airplanes?

Define: "Supporters of GA". I'm sure NBAA would beg to differ, as would all the type clubs...? :idea:

If you mean they're the only ones big enough to do anything in that abomination we call Washington, D.C. -- okay, maybe I'll give you that one. :D

Most of us would not be on POA if it wasn't for AOPA. I have been a member of AOPA since 1994 and I still support the organization. AOPA and EAA are the only supporters of GA, so why not belong if you fly little airplanes?

Agreed - especially to the first part, since events on the yellow board and the ensuing silence was the impetus to run the emergency restart checklist that kicked off POA, IIRC ...

Define: "Supporters of GA". I'm sure NBAA would beg to differ, as would all the type clubs...? :idea:

If you mean they're the only ones big enough to do anything in that abomination we call Washington, D.C. -- okay, maybe I'll give you that one. :D

Yes. That is what I meant. I see some AOPA bashing, and while they are not perfect, they are one of the few orgs that gives us a voice where it counts.

Some of us are refugees from r.a.p.

I was a member of AOPA since 1987, but let my membership lapse. I don't miss the rag at all and am completely underwhelmed with their influence in DC.

Some of us are refugees from r.a.p.

I was a member of AOPA since 1987, but let my membership lapse. I don't miss the rag at all and am completely underwhelmed with their influence in DC.

rap? I don't think there are many options for GA support and lobbying other than AOPA. Do you?

rap? I don't think there are many options for GA support and lobbying other than AOPA. Do you?

r.a.p - rec.aviation.piloting

Not many options? true. But ineffective is still ineffective.

Not many options? true. But ineffective is still ineffective.

There are just not that many people flying small airplanes. I don't know if that's the cause or not, but I still think its one of the only voices we have.

You know, it's come to mind that all of us that give AOPA knocks for not representing us "little guys" in GA (myself included) need to let AOPA know about it. In a nice, cordial, informative and respectful manner, but if all we do is bash or reject then ignore AOPA, we really don't have a legitimate stand to complain about how AOPA does not represent us.

You know, it's come to mind that all of us that give AOPA knocks for not representing us "little guys" in GA (myself included) need to let AOPA know about it. In a nice, cordial, informative and respectful manner, but if all we do is bash or reject then ignore AOPA, we really don't have a legitimate stand to complain about how AOPA does not represent us.

Are you seriously putting conditions on whether or not someone can legitimately complain about AOPA?

Are you seriously putting conditions on whether or not someone can legitimately complain about AOPA?
nope, just sayin' "put your mouth where the money is" and including myself in that as well. Complain all we want, but if we're not doing something about the issues, we're just flapping our lips. And I do mean "we" in that

I let mine lapse, but picked it up. I have no doubt they have done the best they can, but am underwhelmed by their successes (or lack thereof).

I've had my doubts about their effectiveness over the years, but since I had the renewal on auto-pilot, they grabbed that 1/4 tank of gas for the 182 out of my wallet before I made any changes... :D So I guess I'm a member for another year...

Currently using their new underwriter for a life insurance policy. Most folks don't even realize they changed underwriters around the end of 2009, beginning of 2010. Not something they publish much. I just happened to get caught in the switchover of the 800 number over a few days time.

I really should shop that around with an independent insurance broker. It's not a great rate... that or convince the Mrs. that if I plow the Skylane into something and croak, she's on her own for everything. LOL! (Ouch! -- p.s. We have no kids.)

The Legal Services seems like a deal until you pay for it for 10+ years with no need for it... but the day you need it... it looks real real cheap. Haven't had the latter happen yet... and hope never to have to call them.

Not much else to write home about. I get better car rental prices through online websites than using my "membership benefit" from AOPA or EAA...

Goes for me as well. I wonder what percentage of us are still from that time? I know we picked up a bunch from iPilot and Rec.Aviation.

Back