AOPA Open House - June 3rd, KFDK

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Hope to see lots of you in two weeks at the annual AOPA open house and fly-in. There will be plenty of parking for airplanes and cars, lots of neat stuff for sale, new airplanes on display (I think the Socata TBM 850 will be there) and good safety/info sessions as well.

If anyone is local or spending the night and would be interested in going out for dinner at the end of the day, please let me know.

Best wishes,

TMetzinger said:
Hope to see lots of you in two weeks at the annual AOPA open house and fly-in. There will be plenty of parking for airplanes and cars, lots of neat stuff for sale, new airplanes on display (I think the Socata TBM 850 will be there) and good safety/info sessions as well.

If anyone is local or spending the night and would be interested in going out for dinner at the end of the day, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Tim, I'm going down on Friday and would love to get a group together for dinner. I posted this on the other board and there are a few hopefuls so far.

Hope your plane is all fixed and ready by then - and I'll plan on keeping Friday night free too.

We're planning on driving down. I've heard enough about how crazy the traffic is there in such a confined area during the Open House that I'm not sure I'm up to flying in.

I will be parking airplanes 10 to 1. I will be in the Communications lobby 2-4 p.m. PLEASE introduce yourself, people! : )

Tim, I'll be more than ready to sit down for dinner with any and all. Do you still have my cell?

There will be 8,000 parking spaces available for those who care to drive in. Shuttle buses are available for the satellite lots.

TMetzinger said:
Hope your plane is all fixed and ready by then - and I'll plan on keeping Friday night free too.
Tim, I'll be driving down. I can take 3 people from the airport or their hotel to a restaurant. Let's pick a place to meet, and a time.

If anyone is flying in and needs a ride to hotel/dinner on Friday late afternoon/evening, email me. I'll have a better idea what time I'm arriving when we get closer to the date.

OK sounds like dinner plans on two nights - Friday for folks coming in early, and Saturday for folks staying late or driving home on Sunday.

Jill, since you're the most local - any recommendations? I'll rent a Caravan (the van, not the plane) for the weekend as well so we'll have lots of room for pax.

Once again, it appears I'll miss a gathering of PoA'ers -- I'm slated to be in Boston for a PIC session starting June 1.

Ron Levy said:
Once again, it appears I'll miss a gathering of PoA'ers -- I'm slated to be in Boston for a PIC session starting June 1.
:( I thought you'd be at Wings, too. Fortunately, nothing caught on fire.

Toby said:
:( I thought you'd be at Wings, too. Fortunately, nothing caught on fire.

I didn't see them using the gas grill, though... just the charcoal. Hmmmm :D

TMetzinger said:
OK sounds like dinner plans on two nights - Friday for folks coming in early, and Saturday for folks staying late or driving home on Sunday.

Jill, since you're the most local - any recommendations? I'll rent a Caravan (the van, not the plane) for the weekend as well so we'll have lots of room for pax.

Why *aren't* you renting a Cessna Caravan? :goofy: Lemmee see--

China Garden (301/695-5055) approx. 5 miles from the airport and not your run-of-the-mill buffet place.

Taurauso's (301/663-6600)--more upscale and $$$, but has a lovely outdoor patio (continental menu). Downtown and fairly convenient to the airport (not walking distance, though).

Bombay Grill (301/668-0077)--Indian, lovely buffet, downtown and fairly convenient to the airport (not walking distance, though).

Brewer's Alley (301/631-0089)--Burgers, wood-fired pizza, etc. Across the street from Bombay Grill.

Frederick also having its Festival of the Arts this weekend, so expect most places to be fairly busy.

We also have the usual spate of chain restaurants if those are preferable.

555Juliet said:
Why *aren't* you renting a Cessna Caravan? :goofy: Lemmee see--

China Garden (301/695-5055) approx. 5 miles from the airport and not your run-of-the-mill buffet place.

Taurauso's (301/663-6600)--more upscale and $$$, but has a lovely outdoor patio (continental menu). Downtown and fairly convenient to the airport (not walking distance, though).

Bombay Grill (301/668-0077)--Indian, lovely buffet, downtown and fairly convenient to the airport (not walking distance, though).

Brewer's Alley (301/631-0089)--Burgers, wood-fired pizza, etc. Across the street from Bombay Grill.

Frederick also having its Festival of the Arts this weekend, so expect most places to be fairly busy.

We also have the usual spate of chain restaurants if those are preferable.
I vote for Brewer's Alley for Friday night. :)

TMetzinger said:
Brewer's alley sounds good to me for Friday too. Seems like pilot food, since I'm a member of PETA.
Don't tell me...Pilots Eating Tasty Animals??

Please post an update if you're definitely going next weekend, and indicate whether you'll be going out to dinner with us Fri. night and/or Saturday night. I'm trying to get a count for Friday. (Hey, Tim, I'll volunteer you to take care of Saturday, since I'll be leaving right after the event is over!)

Also, if you're coming on Fri., PM or email me your cell #, and I'll send you mine. See you then!

TMetzinger said:
I'll rent a Caravan (the van, not the plane) for the weekend as well so we'll have lots of room for pax.

FWIW, IIRC (and the world hasn't changed in the past 6 months) the FBO at FDK has a 7 passenger van as the pilot/crew car. The FBO has been quite generous with it in the past, so if you folks need extra vehicle space you might want to ask if you can borrow it for a dinner run.

Update - it's noon on Tuesday. I'm making a reservation now for dinner at Brewer's Alley (http://www.brewers-alley.com/), 124 N. Market St. in Frederick, for 6:00 p.m. on Fri., June 2.

Please contact me by Thursday to add yourself to the list.

Ed Guthrie said:
FWIW, IIRC (and the world hasn't changed in the past 6 months) the FBO at FDK has a 7 passenger van as the pilot/crew car. The FBO has been quite generous with it in the past, so if you folks need extra vehicle space you might want to ask if you can borrow it for a dinner run.

That's correct, but it's not available on the fly-in day - it's used for getting all the FBO fuelers and parkers etc. around.

since the response is light, I'll cancel the van and just drive up on Friday for dinner, Toby.

Jill, if you'll still be up for food at the end of Saturday, we'll try and find you. I think I've still got your cell number as well.

Hmmm, I haven't landed in Md yet, and have no plans for Saturday.

argh! I am missing out again. I will be in HH walking through my house.

will anyone be around on Sunday? I am literally only down for the day.

woodstock said:
argh! I am missing out again. I will be in HH walking through my house.

will anyone be around on Sunday? I am literally only down for the day.

The fly-in will be empty by then. If you want to find a good brunch, we're home (near Dulles). Would love to hear more about your european adventures.

Bah, WX looks like crap. Probably wont make it.

TMetzinger said:
The fly-in will be empty by then. If you want to find a good brunch, we're home (near Dulles). Would love to hear more about your european adventures.

brunch would be fun! however I have no photos yet to show - I was hoping to get through them sunday to post them online. there are a LOT. but adventure-talk I can do. any ideas where?

we're in chantilly area - what's convenient to you? and would you mind if my daughter came too? She's the cute one looking at the cake at the last fly in.

TMetzinger said:
we're in chantilly area - what's convenient to you? and would you mind if my daughter came too? She's the cute one looking at the cake at the last fly in.

sure! that's up 28 - that's cool. there must be something around there somewhere. any ideas - not chainy (I like to find holes in the wall that aren't national chains)

TMetzinger said:
since the response is light, I'll cancel the van and just drive up on Friday for dinner, Toby.
OK. There will be one more joining us.

woodstock said:
sure! that's up 28 - that's cool. there must be something around there somewhere. any ideas - not chainy (I like to find holes in the wall that aren't national chains)

I'll find something tomorrow - there are a few places that are decent.

TMetzinger said:

Jill, if you'll still be up for food at the end of Saturday, we'll try and find you. I think I've still got your cell number as well.

Sorry I won't be making it. Since I'm headed to Gaston's and beyond for the next couple of weekends, the husband seems to think I should do chores at the farm this weekend.......go figure. :rolleyes:

TMetzinger said:

That would be great! Can't make it tonight, unfortunately; daughter has big dance at school. :eek:

Turns out I can't make it either - some yo yo mis-configured his network scanning computer and ended up scanning 80% of one of my client's intranets, setting off intrusion detection sensors (bad) and government security managers (worse). While no harm was done, we'll be busy coordinating and writing incident reports all afternoon and evening.

See you all tomorrow!

TMetzinger said:
I'll find something tomorrow - there are a few places that are decent.

Found a bar/grille that does a brunch, just off 28 on route 50. What you want to do is take 50 East and then turn left on Walney Road, then make your first right into the center by the CVS. I think it's called the Backyard Grill.

What time?

TMetzinger said:
Found a bar/grille that does a brunch, just off 28 on route 50. What you want to do is take 50 East and then turn left on Walney Road, then make your first right into the center by the CVS. I think it's called the Backyard Grill.

What time?

I'd say no earlier than 11 AM? I am flying to SC tonight and flying back tomorrow night and I'm still a wee big jetlagged so I'd like to sleep in Sunday AM if I can. I'll look it up Sunday morning, thanks! Once I leave work today I'm more or less out of pocket til tomorrow night.

woodstock said:
I'd say no earlier than 11 AM? I am flying to SC tonight and flying back tomorrow night and I'm still a wee big jetlagged so I'd like to sleep in Sunday AM if I can. I'll look it up Sunday morning, thanks! Once I leave work today I'm more or less out of pocket til tomorrow night.
Since we also like to sleep in, let's make it noon!
I'll send you my cell phone privately.

Back