AOPA Membership Dues increase

Probably people more aligned with the their membership base. I'm not sure I know anyone who would want to move to DC. Location is not at the top of my list when accepting employment. I see nothing about DC that's superior to flyover Nebraska. I personally can't stand the place.
DC and Chicago are the centers of association HQ's in this country. Those towns are, not coincidentally, where the concentration of experienced association people are located.

I didn't say one place is better than another for quality of life or availability of skilled workers or "aligned people", I said that is where the biggest pool of association management (a specialized profession) talent resides.

Full disclosure, I've been an association exec for 10+ years.

Seems like being located close to the place where the people they are lobbying are located would make the most sense, which is the case now.

Not for nothing but Frederick where AOPA is located is about 50 miles from DC. It's still in Maryland which has some fairly high cost of living but it's a long way out. A 5 bedroom 5000 square foot house built in 2006 is listed for 579,000 to give you a data point. A 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house is listed for 299,000

Seems like being located close to the place where the people they are lobbying are located would make the most sense, which is the case now.
EAA is in WI, SSA is in NM, USHPA is in CO. Granted all much smaller then AOPA. Point is you don't have to be in DC especially if you are hiring lobby pros and have a jet. Do they need to be near DC or own a Jet?:lol:

Good evening – I’d like to address some of the most common themes that have surfaced on this thread over the last couple of days.

Flights of AOPA’s Citation (N4GA) are not blocked. You can see every single flight made by 4GA on FlightAware.com. In addition, Mark is using the Citation differently than it has been in the past. We’re flying ourselves when it makes the most sense, but we’re also taking the airlines more. Mark frequently travels by airline when the distances, location of stops, or number of travelers make that the smart decision. AOPA has sold the Caravan. In addition, we have two 172s and a 182. We use these aircraft for flight training, media flights, educational flights for government officials and elected officials, and to attend fly-ins and meetings in the Eastern region.

Some of you have referred to finding other sources of revenue besides dues. Non-dues revenue is important to AOPA and always has been. Member dues account for about 30% of our operating costs. The rest comes from other sources like advertising, sponsorships, and returns on the AOPA credit card. In the economic downturn, advertising has fallen across all categories. General aviation has been hit particularly hard, and GA companies have cut their ad spending dramatically. AOPA is lucky to continue to receive a big portion of GA advertising spending in our magazines, newsletters, and online, but we can’t ignore the fact that revenues are down.

The credit environment has also changed significantly in recent years (accounted for in the “royalties” category in the audited financial posted on AOPA.org), and we simply aren’t able to get the favorable returns on the AOPA credit card that we have in the past. This is true for “affinity cards” across all industries. In fact our revenue from the credit card is down close to 50% - over $5M.

So while these sources of non-dues revenue continue to be watched and managed closely, Mark Baker also recognized early that we needed to cut costs: Members said they wanted less mail and we listened, cutting our direct mail postage costs by close to 50%. We’ve also reduced staff travel and changed the way we use GA aircraft to maximize our efficiency – as I mentioned above. And we’ve reduced our staffing expenses, cutting payroll by $500,000 in 2014 and permanently eliminating four executive positions. We’ve even changed the way we handle our legal work, bringing much of it in house, to save money.

Someone mentioned the Colorado Pilots Association – Mark will be doing a PTH there on Saturday, June 21. We will be picking new locations for the 2015 regionals and I assure you that we will be in the West. I was born, raised and learned to fly in Montana. I love the West and as the lead of the events and outreach group, we didn’t purposely avoid the the Mountain states or Midwest– we love those states…especially me. There are many, many factors that go into choosing locations for these regional fly-ins. We have to be able to land and park up to 500 airplanes, park over 500 cars and accommodate over 2000 people. The airports must first be of a size to accommodate the fly-in, then we must consider weather patterns, airport improvement projects and we have to work around major GA events and other local fly-ins. It is a complicated chess game and we take location selection very seriously.

AOPA’s number one priority and Mark’s number one priority is our advocacy efforts. Its why we exist. I referred to Santa Monica in an early post in reference to how we responsibly use the reserve – which also gains investment revenue. A poster took my response and categorized it as a bizav issue only and made the assertion that we spend all our advocacy efforts on “high-end” GA issues. That is not at all the case. First, please research the activity at Santa Monica – the whole south end of the airport is light GA - we are trying to ensure that light GA remains an active and thriving part of SMO. If SMO closed, it would set a dangerous precedent for many other U.S. GA airports that are operating under the same conditions.

The most important point here is that AOPA’s entire advocacy department spends day in and day out on the following issues – none of which I would consider “bizav” issues:

AOPA is leading the ongoing efforts to reform the 3rd class medical. Within weeks of Mark starting last fall, he vowed to get the FAA to make a move on this issue and he has done just that. We aren’t there yet, but this is AOPA’s number 1 advocacy issue. Please visit our website for nearly weekly coverage/updates on this issue. Join us at one of the fly-ins or see us at AirVenture and sign our petition. There are bills in the House and Senate on 3rd class medical reform right now and the FAA has vowed to undertake rulemaking on this issue. We will push and push until we get it across the finish line. Our latest report: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/May/29/Support-for-medical-reform-grows.aspx

AOPA was instrumental in efforts on curbing the FAA’s proposed new sleep apnea policy. Under the NEW draft guidelines announced April 1, pilots will not be disqualified based on body mass index (BMI) alone, and pilots will be issued medical certificates even if they are referred for additional evaluation. Read more here: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/April/01/FAA-drafts-new-sleep-apnea-guidelines.aspx

We supported and participated in the passage of the Small Aircraft Revitalization Act (SARA), the 23 Certification Process Study, the Part 23 ARC and the ASTM F44 Committee. In fact, just today, we reported that the House passed a bill that directs the FAA to use funding to support the Small Airplane Revitalization Act, which would streamline Part 23 certification of small airplanes. Issues like rewriting certification rules for small airplanes take a combination of federal funding, FAA support and Congressional pressure. All three of those things exist and AOPA has been engaged in each aspect: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...ES-15pt7-BILLION-IN-FAA-FUNDING-FOR-2015.aspx

We’ve worked issues from airworthiness directives (most recently ECi and Superior AMOC) to the transition to the safe transition to an unleaded avgas (funding for the transition also included in the recent House bill). Additionally, AOPA has led the efforts with respect to the Airman Certification Systems and the transformation in the way the industry trains and tests future pilots. We also work a host of airport issues at GA airport throughout the U.S. ranging from hangar leases, encroachment to closures.

I post here and on the “red boards” – I learned to fly in high school, I am a CFII, flew CRJs for the airlines, worked at the FAA in safety systems, worked for the General Aviation Manufacturers Association for over 7 years and have been at AOPA for 2 years. I am an active and passionate pilot. I do this job and work for AOPA because I have a real passion for GA. If I didn’t think AOPA was effective and critical to ensuring GA is around for my grandchildren and great grandchildren, I wouldn’t be responding to this forum at this hour.

I look forward to future conversations with all of you.

Respectfully,
Katie

Katie Pribyl
VP Communications, AOPA

Good evening – I’d like to address some of the most common themes that have surfaced on this thread over the last couple of days.

If I didn’t think AOPA was effective and critical to ensuring GA is around for my grandchildren and great grandchildren, I wouldn’t be responding to this forum at this hour.

I look forward to future conversations with all of you.

Respectfully,
Katie

Katie Pribyl
VP Communications, AOPA
Thanks Katie. As a 14 year member, I appreciate your dedication.

Katie,

Thanks for taking the time to lay out a detailed response. Appreciated.

Folks, do not let Katie's well-crafted message snow you.

There is still considerable legitimacy in many of the comments made in this thread.

These comments mentioned things like a lack luster record of results, outrageous executive compensation, product offerings that cost AOPA money to create and market that could be better offered by other companies, clumsy management, questionable investment strategies, the fact that this is the second dues increase in just a few years.

Remember, Katie is a (probably well compensated) employee of AOPA, so she is trying to protect her job, and is probably under considerable pressure from her bosses to get those unruly pilots of America people under control.

OK, just returned from a 3-day trip and reading over this boiling thread. Comments:

I am disappointed by the negative tone and personal attacks on Tom and Katie. I am pretty sure they are like most people -- just trying to do a good job. I doubt that they open a browser to read this thread with enthusiasm and pleasure. Maybe they are not always doing the right thing but I think they are trying.

All the talk (blather I would say) about salaries reveals to me more about the posters than about the salaries. There is a reason they call the labor market a "market." Without the benefit of targeted salary surveys and without the experience of trying to recruit for specific jobs I don't think any of us, including me, can make a competent assessment of salaries.

Moving the organization to East Nowhere -- more blather.

All the complaints about what AOPA is supporting or not supporting are, IMO, more significant. I see the issue as really stemming from AOPA's corporate culture of opaque governance, nearly-secret board meetings and nominations, and a paternalistic attitude towards members. Members are only revenue sources and are not participants in the organization. Hence, AOPA's decisions on what issues to work, what positions to take, etc. may be what management thinks would be good for members or what management wants to make members believe, but the decisions are definitely not the result of member input. There is no mechanism for member input. Have you ever been encouraged to nominate board members, to serve on a policy committee, to apply for an open AOPA job, or to provide direction to the organization in any other way? I didn't think so.

Re finances, my other hot button, I was pleased to see the link that Tom posted to the auditors' report it was very interesting. I don't recall this information being available a couple of years ago, before I stopped renewing. Formerly, the only way to get financial information was at guidestar.org, where the tax return (which is required to be public) was posted and there it was at least a year out of date. To see 2013 even prior to the tax return being available is great. One little pinhole in the curtain of opaqueness!

That said, I disagree with NoHeat's conclusions from the report. Specifically, the unconscionably large reserve argues for dues holidays, not dues increases. I also disagree with his opinion that the reserves are not invested aggressively enough/return is not as good as it should be. The auditors' report reveals that 25% of the hoard is invested in hedge funds and private equity. This is aggressive stuff and it is stupid stuff for a podunk little lobbying organization to be messing with. Capital preservation is the name of the game for reserves, not aggressive growth.

Other stuff;

Note "F" to the auditors' report reveals a $4.2M lease. Leasing is simply a complicated and expensive way to borrow money. In some businesses there is a tax and/or balance sheet rationale for it but AOPA has neither of those considerations. What the lease does do, however, is to keep the leased property (almost certainly The Jet) off the books and somewhat hidden. With their having $81M in the bank, financing rather than purchasing for cash makes no sense.

Regarding the cost cutting at AOPA HQ, I am pleased to see it but would characterize it only as a "good start." $500K in payroll sounds great and it probably led to additional savings due to the reduced headcount, but it is only about 1% of the organization's total cost. Given the years of high living and the corporate culture, a serious effort should IMO be able to cut 5-10% out of the cost line without cutting into meat. "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap is not needed, but stopping at $500K is nowhere near adequate.

Re " Katie ... is probably under considerable pressure from her bosses to get those unruly pilots of America people under control." I laughed. What those "bosses," if they are aware at all, are doing is waiting for this thread to die its natural death. They have a governance system and a cash hoard that makes them absolutely bulletproof and, hence, have no interest in whether POA people are under control or not.

Wonder what the AOPA demographic is. Is it old(even for the pilot population) guys on auto renew until death or managed care or are the younger(pffft) crowd captured. I'm sure they get a lot of new pilots, no idea if they stick around though. If it is mostly old guys they are hosed in ten years.

Wonder what the AOPA demographic is. Is it old(even for the pilot population) guys on auto renew until death or managed care or are the younger(pffft) crowd captured. I'm sure they get a lot of new pilots, no idea if they stick around though. If it is mostly old guys they are hosed in ten years.

My guess is that we (AOPA membership) are equal parts "Rabble" and "Rouser" with a few magazine readers thrown in for good measure.

:D

AOPA has millions in the bank. Walmart has some multiple of millions in the bank. I went to Walmart last week and got some peaches, a pair of shoes, and some car wax. I paid them. I was with AOPA for many years. I got a mag once a month, and a hat twice.

When I left the Walmart, I knew what I got by adding to their millions, I got a sack of peaches, some shoes and car wax. When I left AOPA and stopped adding to their millions, I looked at what I got; Still had a class III medical, far, far more regulation of GA, plans on the horizon to track EVERYONE in the air with ADS-B, more R space, inability to leave the country without permission from big brother, and major airports shut down across the country(Meigs, etc).

Basically my sack was filled by AOPA, but it was filled with ****, and I make enough of that already.

Oh, and I apologize unreservedly for stating the jet was being blocked. I know it was, and that decision was the bellwether for the condescending, elitist, top-heavy, 'crat thinking that started AOPA on the road to ruin.

Yeah, you are probably right, about the "considerable pressure" comment. It would be nice to think we, on the PoA board had more power, but, alas, we probably don't.

The bosses, if they are publicity savvy, know that the kind of comments made on boards like this are best monitored, and learned from, but not inflamed. All the blather will eventually go away and they can do what they want.

And my comments about Katie and other employees were not attacks on them, but rather a reminder to readers of their allegiances, and the fact that they are protecting their turf, and want to hang on to a job that they love. I would do (and have done) the same.

Having said this, I firmly believe that there is value to these discussions, and we should be tough on AOPA management. They may not like it, but it helps sharpen them and forces them to keep improving.

Re: the comment "All the talk (blather I would say) about salaries reveals to me more about the posters than about the salaries. There is a reason they call the labor market a "market." Without the benefit of targeted salary surveys and without..." I agree and disagree.
Salaries are, in part set by market conditions, but for top level executives they are also set by board members who are themselves highly compensated people. (Cronyism) So, for them, a couple of hundred thousand here or there doesn't mean much. It does, however, mean a lot to most people.

Last edited:
What are these hats everybody keeps talking about? I've been a member of AOPA for a few years now, and have yet to get one. Must have cut back on hats to keep the jet flying.

What are these hats everybody keeps talking about? I've been a member of AOPA for a few years now, and have yet to get one. Must have cut back on hats to keep the jet flying.

First iteration - circa 1986; Dark blue cap, med blue bill - wings embroidered on front with AOPA spelled out in blue letters. 100% cotton made in Vietnam. Nice cap

Second iteration - circa 1998; Light green cap, med blue bill - same embroidery, cheaper material, non-cotton, made in Taiwan ROC. Meh...

Third iteration - circa 2004; Tan cap, blue bill - same embroidery, added "www.aopa.com" on back. Cheap, paper-thin material, fades instantly, non-cotton made in red China. Junk

When I first joined back in late '70s I got a really spiffy bright red light weight jacket with button cuffs. Made in TN I think. I had it for years but outgrew it as I expanded.

First iteration - circa 1986; Dark blue cap, med blue bill - wings embroidered on front with AOPA spelled out in blue letters. 100% cotton made in Vietnam. Nice cap

Second iteration - circa 1998; Light green cap, med blue bill - same embroidery, cheaper material, non-cotton, made in Taiwan ROC. Meh...

Third iteration - circa 2004; Tan cap, blue bill - same embroidery, added "www.aopa.com" on back. Cheap, paper-thin material, fades instantly, non-cotton made in red China. Junk

When I first joined back in late '70s I got a really spiffy bright red light weight jacket with button cuffs. Made in TN I think. I had it for years but outgrew it as I expanded.

Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.

Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.
Well, then there's the navy blue one I have, made in Vietnam. I got it mid/late 2000s by holding out on renewing my membership until they started with the promotional offers. I also have a navy blue AOPA headset sort of bag but I've never figured out anything to use it for. Another promotional offer. Maybe you are just renewing when you're first asked? Try holding out.

Well, then there's the navy blue one I have, made in Vietnam. I got it mid/late 2000s by holding out on renewing my membership until they started with the promotional offers. I also have a navy blue AOPA headset sort of bag but I've never figured out anything to use it for. Another promotional offer. Maybe you are just renewing when you're first asked? Try holding out.

Maybe I will. But then again, I have a lumpy head, and hats don't look good on me.

Only a 31% increase. You got a 31% salary increase last year, didn't you?

But AOPA now owns a jet for their management to play with.....

Only a 31% increase. You got a 31% salary increase last year, didn't you?

But AOPA now owns a jet for their management to play with.....
To compare apples to apples you would need to ask if you have gotten a 31% salary increase from what you were making 24 years ago.

To compare apples to apples you would need to ask if you have gotten a 31% salary increase from what you were making 24 years ago.

Yep, but I'm providing more value to my employer (and customer).

To the other poster....

AOPA has owned and flown the Citation N4GA for several years...

Also,, Mari... Seems to me the AOPA dues was about 1/3 less... 24 years ago....

I am thinking maybe 19.95 ???? I am old though so might I have it wrong..:dunno:

Isn't that close to the 31% figure cited by the other poster?

Oops......

I just renewed since I am the APOA ASN for Jackson.... 2 years was just under 200 bucks,, including the legal thingie....

so maybe I shoud have said 300% less and not 1/3...:redface::redface::redface::redface:

Let it expire in December. Zero value for way too long.
I wasn't necessarily commenting on the value, just the 31% increase this year and comparing it to someone's yearly salary increase.

Oops......

I just renewed since I am the APOA ASN for Jackson.... 2 years was just under 200 bucks,, including the legal thingie....

so maybe I shoud have said 300% less and not 1/3...:redface::redface::redface::redface:
My math skills are sometimes faulty but isn't 300% less, less than zero? :eek:

That was a bargain! :D

I mean 100% less would be zero, wouldn't it? :confused:

My math skills are sometimes faulty but isn't 300% less, less than zero? :eek:

That was a bargain! :D

I mean 100% less would be zero, wouldn't it? :confused:

Hmmmm

If it was 19.95 and now 60 bucks...... That is 300 % greater ... No..:dunno::confused:

Let my membership expire in December. Good riddance

Hmmmm

If it was 19.95 and now 60 bucks...... That is 300 % greater ... No..:dunno::confused:
If you're starting with the number 19.95, that's true, but 300% of 60 is 180. So 300% less of 60 would be -120. :dunno:

Maybe it's in the interpretation. :dunno:

You can say you were paying 33% of today's price 24 years ago. :D

Oops......

If you have the legal services, whatcha hidin'? Lol

I promise we won't tell!

David

If you're starting with the number 19.95, that's true, but 300% of 60 is 180. So 300% less of 60 would be -120. :dunno:

Damn... I hate it when you have me over the barrel...:sad::sad::sad::redface:

Your math is correct.

I wasn't necessarily commenting on the value, just the 31% increase this year and comparing it to someone's yearly salary increase.

Wasn't saying you were.

I was, however. Pretty useless organization at this point. Faster news online, magazines are dead, don't need the continual pitch for the Yodice's law practice, and their great writers are retiring or dying. Can't name a single significant real win for GA or aircraft owners since Boyer left. Instead of fixing the 3rd Class medical they started a for-profit division making money off of the bureaucratic crapstorm. Insurance? Every broker can match what they've got. No larger pool, nothing interesting there. And let's not even get into the Wine Club crap.

AOPA is dead. Totally dead. Buh-Bye.

238 comments. Is AOPA listening?

Back