AOPA Medical Programs

I typed my list of medications into a secure document in the cloud on LastPass. I print it out and hand it to a doctor or hospital. The only risk there is making sure to shred the unencrypted document.

It will synch securely to a smart phone. I just haven't sprung for the fee for that service yet. http://lastpass.com/

That looks to be the same as HealthVault without the Microsoft part. And they don't have the phone sync part.

They skate around it but there is no way to have your medical records there unless your doctor is kind enough to keep it updated. Medical information systems do not share data.

And then what? You hope you're in good enough shape to ask the ER to go online and log in for you?

Last edited:
I hear ya. Either you're healthy enough or not, but sometimes there are little gotcha's that being too forthcoming can make the process more dramatic than necessary. The choice of words on the medical form is less than desirable. Sometimes I feel like I need counsel present whenever I fill out a government generated form. So much wiggle room, so much rope to hang oneself.

On to Game 6 of the World Series... go baseball !

I had an issue with ADHD and signed up with AOPA Medical Program to help through the deferral process. I thought they would somehow be able to expedite the process, but I was wrong. I got more out of talking to the folks at the FAA directly.

AOPA was pretty quick to offer a refund when I mentioned it didn't really do anything for me (mentioning it casually while discussing another issue a few months later). So you might want to try it and see if it works for your specific need. If not, i'm sure they'll give you a refund.

"Anyone out there using the AOPA's medical programs ?"

JD, why do you ask? What service(s) in the program (which IMO can be very helpful for some folks with more complicated medical conditions) made you ask?

Here's a suggestion for you (so you can answer your own Q): Review the medical conditions and acceptable/unacceptable medications list on the AOPA website. As you do so, consider whether any of these conditions or meds are or potentially could be relevant to you. If you end up ticking one or two items, then I would think at least a first-year's subscription (only $39, right?) would be worthwhile. Join, go right to one of their paraprofessional or AME staff, ID the conditions you think are/could be relevant to you, and ask them to ID the boundaries on those conditions, where the lines are drawn, what measures the FAA uses in deciding if each of those conditions is disqualifying, requires a SI, or whatever. Then judge the value of the program - and its future utility for you - on the level of service and body of knowledge you received.

Also, don't miss the AOPA medical transcript feature (free to members). Log in the past medical visits they require and some bio info, then just go back and update it on those infrequent occasions when you visit a Doc. When it's AME time, click a mouse and you get the completed medical form, completely uptodate, printed out for you and - in most cases, acceptable to the AME. Sure beats trying to remember all of the past two years and what you placed on the form last time. You can keep that medical transcript on your computer -or- keep it on AOPA's server, your choice.

Jack

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back