AOPA Life insurance

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Is the life insurance that AOPA sells any good? They ask a few medical questions but in my case I am not sure I would be approved even though I can hold an FAA medical certificate.

$150,000 for $15/mo

I have never had life insurance.

Is the life insurance that AOPA sells any good? They ask a few medical questions but in my case I am not sure I would be approved even though I can hold an FAA medical certificate.

$150,000 for $15/mo

I have never had life insurance.

What risks do you need to cover?

They are just a reseller of policies available under other brand names, since it's really the underwriters who set the rates and rules. Some underwriters don't cover aviation activities. Some do.

Your regular insurance broker can find the same deals AOPA can. Just make sure to tell them about the need for no exclusions on aviation.

If you apply and they don't like the answers to the medical questions they can do a number of things. First step is to tell you it's a higher rate. Second step is to request blood draws or other medical background information to set the higher price. Third step is not to offer a policy. It's rare they use the third step. Far better for them to simply bump the price up to wherever their Actuaries tell them to.

Do you have life insurance options under your employer? If so make sure they cover aviation related accidents. Insurance is sort of a personal matter.

I am self employed so my employer offers nothing (this situation resulted in me moving overseas for 12 years to be able to buy health insurance in the pre-Obamacare era), but figured it would be better to talk to my insurance broker. I usually throw these offers away but as I get older I seem to be getting them more and more.

I have it. My wife said she wanted more than what my employer gives. AOPA is cheaper than the employer add on and it covers aviation. I too have health issues and had no problem with AOPA.
You have to keep your AOPA membership to keep it so you may want to shop around as others have said.

I haven't looked at it recently. When I was looking or life insurance that would not exclude me as a pilot, I requested a quote from whatever company that AOPA was using at the time, and by the time they got back to me I'd already settled with another company. AOPA-endorsed deals are rarely EVER a deal for anybody other than AOPA.

I did PIC LIFE who was responsive and found me a good deal. At the same time I got the PIC quote I fired off a SELECTQUOTE bid (just to get prices, no guarantee of pilot coverage) and found PIC's quotes were inline with the others.

Best deal I could get ,was through AIG,also insured my wife. Was in my 50s when I did a long term policy. No aviation exemption.

Back