AOPA "Customer Service" Story

Clubs and flight schools may require renters to carry non-owned insurance. It depends on how the club is structured.

Non owned insurance can be used to cover high deductibles. Non owned insurance, in many cases, only cover if the pilot makes an error. Screws a landing, runs out a fuel etc.

If the root cause of the accident is mechanical, something the "renter" had no control over or to avoid, then the non owned policy may not cover.

I know one club that could not buy insurance, too many claims in the last few years. All pilots needed to carry their own non owners policy up to the hull value of the aircraft. Most claims are a result of pilot error.

Nate, I wondered about that when I first saw this story. My club does not require non-owned coverage, but they do have a $1000 deductible, which the non-owned coverage would, errr...cover...maybe.

As to why AOPA would encourage it? Ummm...$$$.

Are there clubs out there that force members to have non-owned supplemental insurance coverage???

http://www.aopa.org/membership/articles/2012/120810aopa-superb-customer-service-impresses.html

And why would AOPA encourage it?

Just pointing out the latest "WTF?" from AOPA. Haha. Wow.

Because AOPA makes significant income selling insurance. If not they would have pushed for 'No Subro clauses'. In fact thinking on it, until AOPA started selling insurance, No Subro clauses were the standard and I never heard of a renters policy. AOPA is the aviation antichrist....

Depending upon the policy it may protect the "club" but not the individual pilots, if thats the case the pilot would be wise to keep the non owners insurance. On the other hand IMHO the club should be looking for coverage that protects all its pilots.

Depending upon the policy it may protect the "club" but not the individual pilots, if thats the case the pilot would be wise to keep the non owners insurance. On the other hand IMHO the club should be looking for coverage that protects all its pilots.

I'd just find a better club. :)

non owned (renters insurance) Any one who decides to get renters insurance please check with AVEMCO, I went through AOPA, because I have been a member for 20 yrs. But just found out AVEMCO is $92 a year less expensive for the same policy.

AOPA = Attack On Pilot's Assets. I joined briefly in the early 90's and found I could heat the house burning the load of crap asking for money that showed up in my mail box.

A friend of mine who has been flying for 30 years put it simply: "The AOPA is an insurance company first and a pilot service organization second".

Are there clubs out there that force members to have non-owned supplemental insurance coverage???

http://www.aopa.org/membership/articles/2012/120810aopa-superb-customer-service-impresses.html

And why would AOPA encourage it?

Just pointing out the latest "WTF?" from AOPA. Haha. Wow.

I will say that while the AOPA insurance agency may have provided good customer service according to their self-promoting story, the described level of customer service would be the MINIMUM that I would expect from them (or any insurance agency).

It's too bad that AOPA itself has never been able to competently answer any of my medical or regulation questions, nor been able to provide any guidance on dealing with issues at my local airport.

JKG

Well the non-owner insurance is great IMO, isnt' that expensive for a 20-40k hull, some clubs can provide a better rate by not paying through the nose for "flight school insurance" on their planes, remember the flight schools costs are going to be passed on to the renter, it's a balancing act, factor in their hourly rate and the policy, if its a good deal go for it.

Those polices are also great if you meet someone and agree to do a private party rental.

ROLF... I thought this article was going to have something to do with a claim. Billing problems are handled with light speed. Claims - not so much.

Attack On Pilot Assets. Most excellent!

Back