AOPA articel - $49 CT Coronary Calcification Screening

Papa Foxtrot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Papa Foxtrot
AOPA article - $49 CT Coronary Calcification Screening

I must have missed the article which I suppose was in Pilot, but this popped up on BCP. The gist in that thread was finding this procedure for half the cost of that Saturday afternoon burger may be urban legend. What piqued my interest was the discussion of the efficacy of this procedure vs. the radiation exposure.

I was talked into this procedure by a cardiologist that I was referred to several years back. Cost was $200 self-pay as insurance wouldn't cover. The cardio was a true believer tho' and made a convincing argument. In fairness to him, being 50ish, overweight, with slightly elevated cholesterol and medication controlled hypertension - I was showing some "risk factors". Turned out my score was 5(IIRC), so no big deal.

I'm curious what those here with medical experience(esp. Dr. Bruce) think of this procedure as a screening test for CAD?

Last edited:
DON'T DO IT.
Right now a ca++ index, and an ultrafast CT can only GIVE your the diagnosis (can't prove you haven't got it), and raise your premiums. Then for FAA, you have to do the stress treadmill, maybe with a nuke ($4,500) to dispute it and show you are airworthy.

Honestly, would you do anything differently after such a study? Exercise, eat right, DON'T GET HEAVY.....that's the same, before and after such a study.

Just Exercise, eat right, and DON'T GET HEAVY.

What really galls me is that AOPA is hawking the testing (they get commission but not on the subsequent stress treadmill that soon becomes required after your 35 score), and then hawking medical certification services. Even a congressman would get censured for that sort of behavior.....

I am no fan either. I have had patients with elevated risk scans who then have some form of atypical chest pain. Subsequent catheritizations were all normal.

FYI I have never sent someone for one of these. Stick to the established screening criteria for coronary artery disease.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm now 5 years older, wiser and $200 poorer. Won't make that mistake again!:no:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back