AOPA & Ariel

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
If you're an AOPA member, check out the new issue. Multi-page article with photos about Flying Wild Alaska, and some background about how the show came to be. Verrrrryyy interesting (to quote Arte).

And yes, the phrase "ditsy" is use to describe Ariel.

As you know, FWA is the only reason I went to an airport and bought an intro flight. I will be sure to read about Ariel.

One of the pilots on that show (I can't remember his name) got his PP at the same place I'm currently training at (Eglin AFB Aero Club).

As you know, FWA is the only reason I went to an airport and bought an intro flight. I will be sure to read about Ariel.

This is the same with me, saw the show, remembered I always wanted to do it, did it, done.

This is the same with me, saw the show, remembered I always wanted to do it, did it, done.

Wait, really? Though you "always wanted to." Mine was more like, that looks interesting, let me see what it is all about and bam here I am, a pilot.

Wait, really? Though you "always wanted to." Mine was more like, that looks interesting, let me see what it is all about and bam here I am, a pilot.

I did always want to but just had it on the back burner, because I thought I would never be able to afford it. That show made me look again, then I discovered the Western New York Flying Club

The show also was an influence in my decision to go back to flight school. I think I saw it for the first time just about the time my youngest was graduating from college. Her graduation freed me up to spend some money on myself for a change.

SOooo seeing the show and Flying Wild Alaska about the same time, put the thought back in my head.

So it looks like FWA is responsible for igniting the pilot bug in(at last count, in short order) three (3) new pilots at PoA; sounds like a pretty good ratio to me!

I can't imagine anything better for GA than seeing a young, apparently ditzy young woman go from nothing to flying an airplane solo.

So it looks like FWA is responsible for igniting the pilot bug in(at last count, in short order) three (3) new pilots at PoA; sounds like a pretty good ratio to me!

Note to AOPA and EAA and GA Serving America: Make some more pilot training reality shows.

EAA did one that was on the learning channel.

I can't imagine anything better for GA than seeing a young, apparently ditzy young woman go from nothing to flying an airplane solo.

I'm sure there is some anti aviation do gooder trying to turn that in to "OMG there are brainless women flying over my house"

Note to AOPA and EAA and GA Serving America: Make some more pilot training reality shows.

EAA did one that was on the learning channel.

I found a Canada show on YouTube called the Aviators but it isn't about training.

Didn't that article also state to tune in Jan 20th to find out of she gets her ticket??? That episode was all about her Solo.

Didn't that article also state to tune in Jan 20th to find out of she gets her ticket??? That episode was all about her Solo.

I think someone on here searched the FAA database and it only said she had a student pilot cert. Not sure how long it takes to change if she gets her PPL.

I honestly have never seen the show. It must be on cable. I do not have cable.

I honestly have never seen the show. It must be on cable. I do not have cable.

As I recall, it's on Discovery Channel. Flying Wild Alaska is on National Geographic Channel.

Flying Wild Alaska is worth watching, but they don't get into the flying part NEARLY as much as any other show that has anything to do with GA. Their shows will be about something like dog sled racing and the chase pilots. They get much more into the dog sled racing than aviation. The most recent episode broke out some and got more into the flying. Just as this girl started flying around in a Super Cub and it seemed to get really good, my DVR recording started acting up to a point that it was unwatchable. It looked like the best FWA yet. Maybe I'll catch a rerun.

I think someone on here searched the FAA database and it only said she had a student pilot cert. Not sure how long it takes to change if she gets her PPL.

Yes, I searched it a couple of weeks ago. At that time she and I both showed only a student pilot certificate and that was a few weeks after my checkride.

I expect that if she finishes up it will be when she comes home next Summer after the school year. She goes to college somewhere in Southern California. They seem to be guarding the exact location.

As I recall, it's on Discovery Channel. Flying Wild Alaska is on National Geographic Channel.

Flying Wild Alaska is on Discovery, Alaska Wing Men is on Nat Geo.

I think, anyway - I watch FWA on iTunes, and I watched an episode of AWM somewhere online. Cable's too darn expensive, I can pretty much fly an extra hour a month by not having it!

Flying Wild Alaska is on Discovery, Alaska Wing Men is on Nat Geo.

I think, anyway - I watch FWA on iTunes, and I watched an episode of AWM somewhere online. Cable's too darn expensive, I can pretty much fly an extra hour a month by not having it!

Yep, an hour of Avgas trumps TV every time!:D

EAA did a series teaching a woman to fly from Oshkosh through her first solo. She just happened to be the wife of the EAA video producer. You know, 'cause all students have Bose headsets.

I just looked and EAA is not selling the video.

Thanks for calling my attention to this article...I missed the latest issue. I was at OSH the day they did this AOPA interview- it was awesome to meet them.

Brady Lane with the EAA did a videocast series several years ago when he was working on his Sport Pilot certificate. He did a great job of capturing his training experience.

Currently he is building with a friend and they have a live videocast every Tuesday. Last week Jeff Skiles dropped by to help them. You can find details at www.dreambuildfly.com

Brady Lane with the EAA did a videocast series several years ago when he was working on his Sport Pilot certificate. He did a great job of capturing his training experience.

Currently he is building with a friend and they have a live videocast every Tuesday. Last week Jeff Skiles dropped by to help them. You can find details at www.dreambuildfly.com

I didn't realize that was the same guy. Cool.

Back