Anyway to figure out an unknown wifi password?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hi All,

I am heading to some relatives tomorrow who have wifi in their home. They use it for their laptop, but have no idea what the password is they set up. Is there anyway I could figure it out without completely screwing up the system they have in place?

Thanks,

Brent

If you have the password to the access point, you can usually display the WiFi password from there.

Some PC WiFi cards allow you to display the password if you have sufficient privileges.

Otherwise they probably would appreciate it if you reset it to something they can remember.

Just my 2¢

Joe

(Assuming Windows):

1. Google "default password [router make and model]." Write down the default user and password combination when you find it.

2. Open a command terminal (Start -> Run -> CMD).

3. Type IPCONFIG and press Enter. The Default Gateway under the Wireless Adaptor section (or the Ethernet section if the computer is wired to the router) is the router's IP address.

4. Type that address in a Web browser's Address box and go there. Try to log in to the router using the default username / password combo.

5. If it lets you in, look for Wireless Settings (or something like that), and then Wireless Security (or something like that). Most routers show the key in plain text.

6. If the default user / pass combo doesn't work, then the person who set up the router actually knew what he/she was doing. You'd be surprised how many "professionals" set a WEP or WPA key, but don't bother changing the router password.

7. You can change everything back to the router defaults by looking for a little teeny button labeled "Reset." With the router plugged in, press and hold that button for about 10 seconds. Then you can log into the router and change the key to something your relatives know. However, all computers currently using that wireless router will have to have their keys changed, as well.

-Rich

(Assuming Windows):
1. Google "default password [router make and model]." Write down the default user and password combination when you find it.
+1

6. If the default user / pass combo doesn't work, then the person who set up the router actually knew what he/she was doing. You'd be surprised how many "professionals" set a WEP or WPA key, but don't bother changing the router password.
+100, simply amazing.

7. You can change everything back to the router defaults by looking for a little teeny button labeled "Reset." With the router plugged in, press and hold that button for about 10 seconds. Then you can log into the router using the default username and password and change the key to something your relatives know. However, all computers currently using that wireless router will have to have their keys changed, as well.
Edit. Just to make sure they knew.

Thanks guys, I will try this tomorrow!

Brent

Be careful resetting the router because all configuration changes (not just passwords) will be reset.

If you do that you may have to set things like ip address, subnet mask, router, local network addresses.

Joe

Depending on the router there may be a "default" WEP/WPA password on the label on the bottom of the device.

If it is a WEP key, breaking it is easy (I won't discuss how here, but if you're interested, I might could help you).

BTW, if you set your WEP key to the standard 10-key hex value (which is composed of digits 0-9, A-F), an easy way to select a WEP key you can REMEMBER when friends come to visit is to set it to a phone number. ;-) 817-555-1212 (remove the hyphens). Pick a number YOU know and remember. Easy as pie.

BTW, if you set your WEP key to the standard 10-key hex value (which is composed of digits 0-9, A-F), an easy way to select a WEP key you can REMEMBER when friends come to visit is to set it to a phone number. ;-) 817-555-1212 (remove the hyphens). Pick a number YOU know and remember. Easy as pie.

Good idea, but the problem is, well, you're using WEP if you do that. Any war driver, pervert, terrorist, or other miscreant who has a Linux laptop with Kismet and Aircrack installed can crack a WEP key in no time flat. Then whatever they're doing will trace back to whomever owns the Internet account. WPA with a good key is much more secure.

On the other hand, in densely-populated areas, no one is likely to bother cracking a WEP key. There are still enough unsecured networks out there that they'll probably just use one of them instead.

I usually use WPA and write the key on the receipt. I also note it in my records for when they lose the receipt. I usually use the MD5 hash of the client's mother's maiden name. Then if they lose it and I'm away from the office, I can still get it for them easily enough.

-Rich

I just recently started securing my router, before that I simply didn't broadcast the SSID.

I started, only because its easier to connect a blackberry to it when it is broadcast.

Thanks guys for all the help. It appears that someone set this up for them, (the SSID was personalized, and the default password per google didn't work) so I used the program below, and it spit the key right out....

Thanks!:cheerswine:

B

If you have a windows PC connected to that wifi network, and it has the wifi password configured on it, there are utilities that will dig out and show you what that password is.

I've used one before, I think it may have been this one:
http://lifehacker.com/354013/reveal-wi+fi-network-passwords-with-wirelesskeyview
-harry

Back